Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 12:42 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,268,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
But so many do not speak English, that is is hindering hundreds of thousands of otherwise good people from moving ahead socially and economically. For the most part business is still done in English in Texas (one exception of course are the annoying recordings telling you to press 2 for Espanol). They are isolating themselves and in many cases, just "getting by".
Texas is very multi-cultural. And it's only going to get even more so.

Just had another Indian family move into my neighborhood. Lots of the older generation Indian folks don't speak English. Heck Asian-Indians I run into often speak 4-5 languages as it is. Houston has 2 Chinatowns. I'm certain you can find a boatload of people there that don't know one English word. Gonna have to get used to more than just English. Texas is not on the brink because it's becoming more and more international. We all have to accept it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 03:26 PM

766 posts, read 1,254,230 times
God this thread is so hard to read because of the amount of ignorance. Why do republicans still continue to blame the illegal immigrants for all of the state's problems? Why not blame the REPUBLICAN leadership that allows them to stay in the state? I'm Latino myself and yes I do realize the huge problems in our community that affects the state as a whole. That being said, this state thrives on cheap labor. That tacky McMansion you bought in your soulless suburbs? Built by an illegal immigrant. Eating fresh vegetables or fruit today? Picked by an illegal immigrant. Going out to eat? Cooked by an illegal immigrant. Need affordable child care while you're at work? Your child loves their illegal nanny. If you're so against illegal immigration then do something about it. Stop buying cheap houses, cheap produce, cheap restaurant food, etc. Oh wait, you won't, so **** already.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:33 PM

232 posts, read 251,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'gusta_balla View Post
I lived in TX for a few years and mostly enjoyed the state. Austin is a great city and I miss it.

I didn't enjoy the fact a lot of people expected you to speak spanish. Some even said spanish should be required for us English speaking americans. I think not. If I wanted to move to Mexico, I would learn spanish. If you wanted to move to America, you need to learn English.
I agree with this.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:06 PM

105 posts, read 106,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
God this thread is so hard to read because of the amount of ignorance. Why do republicans still continue to blame the illegal immigrants for all of the state's problems? Why not blame the REPUBLICAN leadership that allows them to stay in the state? I'm Latino myself and yes I do realize the huge problems in our community that affects the state as a whole. That being said, this state thrives on cheap labor. That tacky McMansion you bought in your soulless suburbs? Built by an illegal immigrant. Eating fresh vegetables or fruit today? Picked by an illegal immigrant. Going out to eat? Cooked by an illegal immigrant. Need affordable child care while you're at work? Your child loves their illegal nanny. If you're so against illegal immigration then do something about it. Stop buying cheap houses, cheap produce, cheap restaurant food, etc. Oh wait, you won't, so **** already.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:10 PM

105 posts, read 106,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
This thread sounds like a white pride rally SMH
But I'm Black.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:26 PM

657 posts, read 740,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Train View Post
But I'm Black.
Always a token one

Old 08-07-2015, 07:38 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
There's more than a grain of truth in this. The reality is that Democrats like illegals for future votes and Republicans like them for cheap labor. Its the reason why the US can't control its borders when 3rd world countries can.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:53 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
The Law Of Unintended Consequences: Georgia's Immigration Law Backfires - Forbes

Old 08-07-2015, 08:56 AM

163 posts, read 199,122 times

Quote:
as crops rotted in the fields, officials in Georgia are now dispatching prisoners to the state’s farms to help harvest fruit and vegetables.
Good. Why not? I'd rather us put the prisoners to use in the fields than illegals. Lord knows we throw enough people in jail...

Old 08-07-2015, 09:36 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
Good. Why not? I'd rather us put the prisoners to use in the fields than illegals. Lord knows we throw enough people in jail...
Follow-up articles included comments by the crop owners indicating that probationers that were actually sent (not prisoners) were slow and damaged crops, while earning less than minimum wage because the pay is based on the quantity picked. The owners had to supplement their pay to equal minimum wage. The migrant workers apparently manage to make $15-$20+/hour and have a much higher quality yield. Seems it is actually skilled labor. And some of the labor that decided not to show up in GA were legal but were either harassed repeatedly for documentation or afraid they would be. They ended up making their pay in other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas