Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 11:46 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times

Advertisements

Trainwreck as much as I've learned in short space of time on the forum that's the best bit of it

Again thank you hs yes Marlow he's spot on also it's a physical a job as I've seen quite a well respected job in the UK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 05:03 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
...it's a physical a job as I've seen quite a well respected job in the UK
They could have used your expertise on this job site, methinks!

http://www.koat.com/news/5-trapped-under-scaffolding-in-rio-rancho/34783450

Old 08-18-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
They could have used your expertise on this job site, methinks!

http://www.koat.com/news/5-trapped-under-scaffolding-in-rio-rancho/34783450

Ouch now and again it happens in the UK but all comes down to training

Think my expertise would be enough to teach them all to duck I'm afraid

But thanks for the vote mate

Old 08-26-2015, 09:31 AM

738 posts, read 765,532 times
At $40 an hour working full time you will live very well in Corpus being single. It is hot and humid but you get a good breeze as well, especially on scaffolding, so it won't be as bad as other parts of the state. Since Downtown is near the port there has always been a steady flow of people from all over in the bars and nightlife so you'll be exotic without being alien. Culturally it's a hodgepodge of Western, Southern, Coastal laid back, and Latin America. I had a college friend from London and whenever he came to town he had a great time. Construction work is in very high demand right now as well. There is a Corpus Christi forum as well if you are interested in specific advise on where to live etc. You will need a car or truck and a driver's license if you don't already know how to drive.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope48 View Post
At $40 an hour working full time you will live very well in Corpus being single. It is hot and humid but you get a good breeze as well, especially on scaffolding, so it won't be as bad as other parts of the state. Since Downtown is near the port there has always been a steady flow of people from all over in the bars and nightlife so you'll be exotic without being alien. Culturally it's a hodgepodge of Western, Southern, Coastal laid back, and Latin America. I had a college friend from London and whenever he came to town he had a great time. Construction work is in very high demand right now as well. There is a Corpus Christi forum as well if you are interested in specific advise on where to live etc. You will need a car or truck and a driver's license if you don't already know how to drive.
Thanks for the advise mate it's sounds ideal certainly as Londons a ratrace

Good news about the amount work hopefully I'll be there a while

Ain't there a bus or train service that would get me around to start with? Until I get a license Shame I don't know where the job is exactly

Old 08-26-2015, 02:23 PM

738 posts, read 765,532 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advise mate it's sounds ideal certainly as Londons a ratrace

Good news about the amount work hopefully I'll be there a while

Ain't there a bus or train service that would get me around to start with? Until I get a license Shame I don't know where the job is exactly
If you know the company I could get a general idea. There is no train service at all in the city. Bus system is ok and getting better but can really depend on where you are going to and from. Some of the larger industrial companies have van pools, car pools, or deals with the bus service to get their workers to and from the site.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope48 View Post
If you know the company I could get a general idea. There is no train service at all in the city. Bus system is ok and getting better but can really depend on where you are going to and from. Some of the larger industrial companies have van pools, car pools, or deals with the bus service to get their workers to and from the site.
I'll find out for sure the next time I speak to my mate and I'll dm you if you don't mind?

I'm sure he will give me directions LOL but I really do appreciate the offer of help it's good ppl like yourself that make this forum the best in the world

Thank you

Old 10-06-2015, 07:29 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,218,301 times
$40 per hour will go plenty far in Corpus for a single guy.

You will require a car, get yourself a pickup truck and you will fit right in.

Corpus is not Texas like what people think in the movies. It is more like a beach town than anything else. Also oil.

We vacation in the area for one weekend a year. Not too much to do besides the beach. I might get a little bored living there actually.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:40 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,525,391 times
Quote:

Are driving lessons in cc expensive? I ask as I don't drive myself ( in central London it's more of a hindrance) cheers
Probably around $40/hour. But you can survive first several months by riding a bike. Just rent a place closer to your work. It's not that cold there in winter so you can use bike pretty much every day. Bike can completely solve transportation problem within city limits. Just don't ride bike on a freeway.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Probably around $40/hour. But you can survive first several months by riding a bike. Just rent a place closer to your work. It's not that cold there in winter so you can use bike pretty much every day. Bike can completely solve transportation problem within city limits. Just don't ride bike on a freeway.
A 12 hour shift plus riding there and back..... Ouch

Im awaiting to find out exactly where it is hopefully get a bus or better still catch a ride lol

That's the one major positive I've noticed the renting side of things I've had a quick look and even for around the $1000 range for a one bed room it looks a bargain ( compared to London lol )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas