U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 08:40 PM

7 posts, read 17,716 times

Advertisements

After much debate with some of my fellow Canadians who have either a)lived in Texas for awhile or b) vacationed there or c) knew someone who lived there I've decided to get advice from people on this forum who actually know what they are talking about.

I am a 25 year old single women who is wanting to move to the southern parts of Texas when I am done school this summer. Right now I live in Canada. Here is what I'm looking for:

1. I'm a Christian so I'm hoping to live somewhere with people who hold the same values and beliefs as me.
2. I absolutely love the Latin culture, the language, the lifestyle, and the people and if I could actually make a living and a life living in Mexico I would. Unfortunately I don't speak the language nor would I be able to make enough financially so south Texas is the next best thing.
3. I've heard the humidity in Corpus Christie (sp?) and south is unbearable. I've also been told the humidity isn't that bad. I love hot weather but I want to be able to at least enjoy the outdoors without melting into a puddle.
4. Is the southern areas safe? I've read mixed feelings about that on here. Because I am a single women coming alone I have a twinge of fear when I read about some of the awful things happening there. Isn't this the US? Are these things true?
5. I want some place that isn't huge but isn't a tiny town either. Something in between.

I picked Texas because I have heard great things about it and I am so excited to move there. Plus I heard Texan men are pretty cute...

Any suggestions?
Thank-you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2008, 09:16 PM

86,068 posts, read 76,144,685 times
San Antonio might meet your requirements.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:46 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,689,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
San Antonio might meet your requirements.
Ditto! Go to San Antonio forum to find lots of info.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:57 PM

21 posts, read 180,580 times
I don't know why anyone would want to move to a big city in Texas, as a Texan that has been to a few of the big city towns like Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, Austin, none of them seem any differant than what I would imagine New York City to be, if you want to move to Texas, and know what it's like to be around REAL Texan's, you can't do it in a big city, and San Antone is just another big city, with big city problems.. I live outside of Holliday Texas up toward Wichita Falls, besides the heavy traffic through the middle of town like you see in the picture of 5:00 rush hour, it's really a great place to live, and it is 100% what Texas is all about.. We got a Dairy Queen, a couple of great churches and a post office, what more does anyone really need?

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u315/christian_warrior777/us277atfm368n.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-27-2008, 06:08 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 11,759,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISTIAN_COWBOY24 View Post
We got a Dairy Queen, a couple of great churches and a post office, what more does anyone really need?

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u315/christian_warrior777/us277atfm368n.jpg (broken link)
I can't think of anything. I think you got it all covered right there.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:10 AM

5,292 posts, read 12,141,339 times
The humidity is that bad. I've read often on these forums, "Just drink water and you'll be fine." That line cracks me up because we need water in the winter too. Maybe the poster meant that if you don't drink water, you'll die. That would be true. I can assure you though that drinking water will not make the brutal summers in Texas more bearable.

Anyway, it is very uncomfortable and coming from Canada, it may take a long time for you to get used to it. One can stand perfectly still in the shade and drip sweat. It's disgusting.

People will tell you it's not as bad as the Florida Keys, Mississippi, Louisiana, etc., but you're asking about Texas, and I'm giving you my honest opinion about the humidity.

You may want to come in the summer months and see for yourself before you get stuck some place you'll end up disliking. Corpus Christi is hurricane prone too.

I've included a link to people's opinions about Corpus. Maybe it will help you.
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Good luck to you.

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2008 at 06:20 AM..

Old 01-27-2008, 08:28 AM

10,331 posts, read 22,000,532 times
Since you said you're Canadian, be advised there will be immigration hurdles to clear first. You can't just move down and start working. I'd advise speaking to an attorney who handles such issues to ensure you do it legally. With NAFTA and the TN visa, it is easier than it used to be, but there are still rules to follow.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:39 AM

13 posts, read 42,640 times
I am a 22 year-old woman and I feel safe pretty much anywhere in this state. You'll do fine as long as you use your common sense, and this applies to living anywhere in the world.

Texas is a friendly state. I've lived elsewhere, and its one of the few places that people will pull over to help you if they see you with a flat tire.

The cost of living is low! The state is fairly diverse, depending on where you are. It's a huge state so it's its own world, sometimes. Even though latino culture tends to dominate, you will find a lot of other people of other cultures.

Based on what you described in your wants I'd suggest San Antonio.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:20 PM

7 posts, read 17,716 times
I am planning a couple visits hopefully toward the spring and summer. I'm going to check out San Antonio and Corpus Christie surrounding area.
This might sound funny but here in Ontario, the humidity is fairly brutal in the summer. We pretty much have smog alerts all summer long and they advise us to stay inside as much as possible. I'm not saying our humidity and heat is anything like Texas but we do get it worse then anywhere else in Canada..even some of the US states aren't as bad as here for that. I'd rather be dripping sweat then freezing for 8 or 9 months out of the year anyways

With my degree (physiotherapy assistant) I've had a bunch of places in Texas begging me to come..they've all pretty much offered to handle the visa process. I was quite surprised by that...some even offered to pay my relocation expenses Yea! I also know there are going to be a lot of legal issues like insurance and taxes that I'll have to hire someone to help me out with. I have no clue where to even start with that. At least its just me and I don't have a family to worry about though.

San Antonio seems nice from what I hear...but isn't it a big city? What about some of the smaller cities or towns around it?

Old 01-27-2008, 01:29 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,184,618 times
I posted some of these on another thread:
around San Antonio:

Ingram
Mountain Home
Luckenbach
fredericksburg
Johnson City
Canyon Lake
New Braunfels
Seguin
Goliad
Bandera
Medina
Vanderpool
Castroville
Hondo
Boerne
Sisterdale
Comfort
Kerrville
Hunt

around CC:
Three Rivers
Mathis
Padre Island
Mustang Island
Port Aransas
Kingsville
Sinton
Devine
Pearsall
Dilley
Cotula
Laredo
Aransas Pass
Rockport

I know I left a few out, but not on purpose. Pleasanton is another town that comes to mind, as does Alice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or