Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 12:13 AM

10 posts, read 10,923 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've been doing some research and I would like to move to Texas, I'm currently living in Seattle. I'd like to know which city has better IT job market, more jobs, Houston or Dallas. I'm more into .NET stack but I also have experience in other open source technologies and front end development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 12:25 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,266,130 times
Dallas will have more telecommunications companies and corporate headquarters for national name brand companies. Houston will have more support roles for oil and gas companies. The new Exxon campus near Houston will likely hire a boat load of IT type jobs when it gets rolling. Places like Haliburton definitely hire .NET people, but I'm not sure how oil and gas is doing right now.

My guess is Houston and Dallas would be about the same, just different industries. I always imagined Seattle to have more companies that thrived strictly off of software products or platforms as opposed to having lots and lots of support roles like Houston and Dallas.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:34 AM

10 posts, read 10,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Dallas will have more telecommunications companies and corporate headquarters for national name brand companies. Houston will have more support roles for oil and gas companies. The new Exxon campus near Houston will likely hire a boat load of IT type jobs when it gets rolling. Places like Haliburton definitely hire .NET people, but I'm not sure how oil and gas is doing right now.

My guess is Houston and Dallas would be about the same, just different industries. I always imagined Seattle to have more companies that thrived strictly off of software products or platforms as opposed to having lots and lots of support roles like Houston and Dallas.

I work with .NET, but I don't know a whole lot about the demand in Houston. Houston has a .NET code bootcamp (actually it's in Pearland) so apparently there are places looking for it. I really don't think there is a big demand for open source in Houston. And I never see openings for Ruby. But from time to time I check openings and see adds for .NET.
Thanks. Yes, there are many startups and other big software companies in Seattle, the market is booming, but, I'd like to live in a more diverse, big and affordable city. Seattle is a nice medium size city and ideal if you're an outdoors person in my opinion, which I'm not. Plus, I think it's overrated and expensive.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:07 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,049,360 times
Houston has the most fortune 500 companies offices only second to NYC. Much more than "support" offices for O&G. I know nothing of IT. Both are major cities with industry. Pick which one you'd rather live in for other reasons as id imagine you'd do well in both. Come with a job lined up first. Seattle isnt that much more expensive than either city

Old 08-30-2015, 12:31 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,266,130 times
Well I should have said the IT type jobs will be dominated by oil and gas in Houston. Other large Houston industries with programming and network and sys admin jobs are aerospace (currently experiencing a big downturn) and the massive medical center and UTMB (this also includes scientific programming jobs). There certainly are start-ups and game companies in Houston and some financial quant type places, but I'm sure it's not on the same scale as where you are coming from. That being said, experienced programmers seem to easily find good paying jobs in Houston, Austin / San Antonio, and Dallas. If you don't mind working in a tower for Chevron or Chase Bank you can still make bank.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:10 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times
Dallas' economy is more IT/tech centric than Houston, though Houston will have places you can work IT for sure.

However, if youre looking for startups, Austin is your best bet. If youre a programer, Dallas is your best bet.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:28 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,055,145 times

Old 09-01-2015, 01:39 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,820,257 times
Both have high paying IT jobs; Dallas is way more diversified when it comes to tech companies though. In Dallas you can work for companies whose actual focus is tech/software, whereas in Houston, you'll likely be working the tech department of a non-tech oriented company, such as one in the oil industry. There's some exceptions I guess, since some medical/tech software companies are based out of Houston, but by and large that's how it is. For those reasons, Dallas is way better for entry-level IT positions, and somewhat better for mid and senior level ones.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:27 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,459,315 times
quick comparison

Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX - May 2014 OES Metropolitan and Nonmetropolitan Area Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX - May 2014 OES Metropolitan and Nonmetropolitan Area Occupational Employment and Wage Estimates

and can compare the open positions to get an idea

https://www.dice.com/jobs/l-Dallas%2C+TX-jobs
https://www.dice.com/jobs/l-Houston%2C+TX-jobs

Over all, for some reason, Dallas just blows Houston away for Computer jobs.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:48 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,005,598 times
Hands down Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas