Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 05:42 AM

638 posts, read 568,394 times

Advertisements

Texas's Cities: One Big, Dysfunctional Family - Texas Monthly

Old 09-01-2015, 05:59 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,485,800 times
What a desperate attempt by Texas Monthly for click bait to their lousy website from city-data. Poorly written as usual, I wouldn't be at all surprised if D Magazine or the Houston Press have higher online readership. Texas Monthly is a rag, it's sad when the advertising in a magazine is more interesting than the content.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 09-01-2015 at 08:56 AM..

Old 09-01-2015, 06:41 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,982,503 times
What a stupid article by a magazine that has gone to crap over the past few years. It's goal is to stir up trouble in Texas, instead of writing interesting stories that promote the state as it used to do. It's about time to let my 20-year subscription expire.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:07 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
What a desperate attempt by Texas Monthly for click bait to their lousy website from city-data. Poorly written as usual, I wouldn't be at all surprised if D Magazine or the Houston Press have higher online readership. Texas Monthly is a rag, it's sad when the advertising in a magazine is more interesting than the content.
Aww. Didn't like what they had to say about Dallas did you?

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 09-01-2015 at 08:56 AM..

Old 09-01-2015, 07:22 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,485,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Aww. Didn't like what they had to say about Dallas did you?
There wasn't anything bad written about Dallas. The "article" just wasn't good at all

It was full of cliches and outdated stereotypes. Very lazy, and reeked of desperation.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:14 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
I've noticed that of late when I pick up a copy of Texas Monthly, it seems like it's written by people who "aren't from here" and may have spent a weekend, if that much, in the state. That makes me less inclined to read their articles.

Advertisers, take note.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:31 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
One thing in the article that is absolutely accurate. The Houston vs. Dallas is a MUCH bigger thing in Houston than it was in Dallas:
"Living in the Dallas area for 35 years, I never heard anyone say anything negative about Houston, nor did I ever hear anyone compare Dallas to Houston. Dallas views Houston as its untidy big-brother that it does not wish to emulate. Houston vs. Dallas exists as a rivalry only on sites like this one; in the real world, Dallas doesn’t see Houston as a rival, it sees Atlanta and Chicago as rivals. Houston may or may not feel the same."

Old 09-01-2015, 08:48 AM

47 posts, read 52,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
One thing in the article that is absolutely accurate. The Houston vs. Dallas is a MUCH bigger thing in Houston than it was in Dallas:
"Living in the Dallas area for 35 years, I never heard anyone say anything negative about Houston, nor did I ever hear anyone compare Dallas to Houston. Dallas views Houston as its untidy big-brother that it does not wish to emulate. Houston vs. Dallas exists as a rivalry only on sites like this one; in the real world, Dallas doesn’t see Houston as a rival, it sees Atlanta and Chicago as rivals. Houston may or may not feel the same."

When I lived in Dallas, saying I was from Houston would garner sneers, comments like "Houston stinks", "Houston sucks", "Aren't you glad you live in Dallas now" etc.

I think this article is lazy in general but the one nugget of truth is the "feigned obliviousness" of many Dallas residents. Houstonians are at least honest about the rivalry. Dallas residents act like they don't think about Houston and then make slick comments that prove that's not the case.

A lot of the vitriol that some Houstonians have towards Dallas is primarily sports related (football), but I think outside of sports there are residents of both cities that dislike the other for various reasons.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:50 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeard13 View Post
When I lived in Dallas, saying I was from Houston would garner sneers, comments like "Houston stinks", "Houston sucks", "Aren't you glad you live in Dallas now" etc.

I think this article is lazy in general but the one nugget of truth is the "feigned obliviousness" of many Dallas residents. Houstonians are at least honest about the rivalry. Dallas residents act like they don't think about Houston and then make slick comments that prove that's not the case.

A lot of the vitriol that some Houstonians have towards Dallas is primarily sports related (football), but I think outside of sports there are residents of both cities that dislike the other for various reasons.
You get snide comments sure, but it doesnt turn into the full blown "Litany of reasons why Houston is better" conversation that I get here.

The only exception is that most gays here concede that the scene is bigger in Dallas. Other than that, Houston people love to talk about how inferior Dallas is and then in the same breath wonder why more people dont think its as great as Chicago.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:55 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post

Not sure how one can insist that such a thing is accurate without any quantifiable proof.

I remember when the Conan show came to Dallas. He knew exactly what he was doing by trashing Houston for the benefit of his audience. They ate it right up.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas