Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 02:17 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,573,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Were not talking about last year attendance. Baylor back in the day had horrible support on the road. Not that many at home. Oh, at the time, Baylor was the first and only private school in the Big 12. U of H may had bad football teams in the 1990's but when they entered the SW Conference they were co-champs and were very competitive. Attendance at the dome was high for U of H games. Yes, weak on the road attendance accept at Texas and A. & M. on rare visits.

On merit, U of H should have been one of the 4 schools to join the Big 8 or whatever "Big" it was, lol

If you are going by shear "Merit" scholastically speaking, then why not RICE !!
you are right to an extent.. fortunately for Baylor, they had the better resources (money, alumni). and hiring Art Briles away from UH was one of the best things Baylor has ever done. now (partly) because of it, Baylor has some of the finest athletic facilities in the country lining the Brazos River.. its a beautiful sight.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 03:59 PM

5,268 posts, read 6,428,748 times
Quote:
Were not talking about last year attendance. Baylor back in the day had horrible support on the road.
The attendance numbers for each school is right there in the link, of course it's sort of hard to verify their accuracy but I'm sure they are close. It is categorized as "Final 10 Years of the SWC" and "Post SWC". Baylor was ahead of UofH in each number.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:27 PM

998 posts, read 1,328,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
is this some grudge amongst the UH student/alumni population towards Baylor? i have a friends that attended UH and some have repeated that same story about Baylor/Ann Richards. there may be some truth in that, but maybe it was that the Big 12 would of rather added a school with better academics and name recognition for their conference than what UH had to offer? i agree though, i would love to see UH added to the Big 12 as part of a future expansion.
I'm not a UH grad but Baylor pretty much sucked during most of its tenure in the SWC and the Big 12. Aside from a few good years recently, they've added nothing to the Big 12. Historically, UH at least had multiple football championships, final four appearances, track and field legends etc. Baylor had nothing in comparison but connections (Ann Richards). Rice has better academics and is in a bigger media market and they were over looked as well.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Historically, UH at least had track and field legends. Baylor had nothing in comparison
whah now.. mad lulz. marco, i would like to introduce you to a man by the name of Michael Johnson. you may have heard of him?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michae...son_(sprinter)

what track & field legends has UH had that are more famous than Johnson?

im not saying Baylor necessarily deserved getting into the Big 12 over UH.. but they had the resources to do what they had to do to get in, unlike UH who twice now has sat on the outside looking in, as conference expansion opportunities have passed them by. i really do hope UH joins the Big 12 if and when they expand back to 12 teams, but framing Baylor as the sole reason UH isnt in the Big 12 might not be entirely accurate.. why was Tech chosen over UH? and i have yet to understand how Baylor kept UH out in 2012? maybe Ken Starr pulled some strings?

Old 09-09-2015, 10:53 PM

998 posts, read 1,328,165 times
Quote:
whah now.. mad lulz. marco, i would like to introduce you to a man by the name of Michael Johnson. you may have heard of him?

im not saying Baylor necessarily deserved getting into the Big 12 over UH.. but they had the resources to do what they had to do to get in, unlike UH who twice now has sat on the outside looking in, as conference expansion opportunities have passed them by. i really do hope UH joins the Big 12 if and when they expand back to 12 teams, but framing Baylor as the sole reason UH isnt in the Big 12 might not be entirely accurate.. why was Tech chosen over UH? and i have yet to understand how Baylor kept UH out in 2012? maybe Ken Starr pulled some strings?
Carl Lewis easily.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Carl Lewis easily.
hmm.. had to look him up. his name makes him sounds like some space theorist. heh..

anyways, both schools had pretty abysmal athletics programs back in the day, with each having "respectable" seasons here and there. but for some people to claim UH would of been able to achieve the same level of athletic success that Baylor has just by joining the original '96 Big 12 conference is ridiculous. look at Tech. they got all the funding and support of the BCS/Big 12.. where are they now? Baylors recent success is a rare anomaly that most other schools/alumni would be foolish to think they could easily replicate.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:06 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,097,250 times
Quote:

Probably Tech over Houston because, Texas and A & M did not fear Tech's recruiting ability in Lubbock and the Panhandle. Texas and A & M did fear Houston's recruiting ability in the Houston area. This sounds pretty logical, I think. The big boys political power, you think, possibly? I know, that's just life, lol.

Old 09-10-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Probably Tech over Houston because, Texas and A & M did not fear Tech's recruiting ability in Lubbock and the Panhandle. Texas and A & M did fear Houston's recruiting ability in the Houston area. This sounds pretty logical, I think. The big boys political power, you think, possibly? I know, that's just life, lol.
heh. not denying politics played a role.. but I'm not so sure how much UT and A&M feared UHs recruiting. do you really think UT/A&M would have a problem convincing recruits to come to their program over UH? i do wonder how much of the original choice had to do with Lubbock (and Waco) being a college town? Houston has a ton of professional sports teams to dilute the UH fan base, and its historically been a commuter school. not much of a culture/identity. in Lubbock and Waco you go into any store and you see Tech/Baylor merchandise displayed in the windows and front racks with business owners all over town supporting the schools. saturdays in the fall in Lubbock/Waco revolve around game day.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:04 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,285,074 times
Tech had lt. gov. Bob Bullock in their corner. He laid the hammer down for both Tech and Baylor

Quote:
Bullock, invigorated by the triumph and praise of the previous legislative session, summoned Bill Cunningham of UT and Herb Richardson of A&M to his office early in 1994, when the conference shuffle -- converting the Big 8 to the Big 10 -- was on the verge of being a done deal. Glaring at the two men he said, "You're taking Tech and Baylor or you're not taking anything. I'll cut your money off and you can join privately if you want, but you won't get another nickel of state money."

The university representatives apparently believed the subject was open for discussion, that they had a negotiating position. When they expressed hesitation, Bullock cut them off. "If you want to try me, go ahead," he said. "Governor, we understand," Cunningham said. [1] At that moment, for all practical purposes, the Big 8
became the Big 12.
Texas politicians, led by Bob Bullock, helped shape Big 12 conference - MRT.com: Opinion

UH does have a 'school spirit' problem, but seriously the university has done a lot to change that. It will take a generation to undo all of that, but if you stop by a game in 2015, you would see that a lot is going on. Tech and Baylor reap enormous benefits from the BCS or whatever is it's current incarnation. Recruiting, bowl games (look up bowl game payouts for the Big 12 vs AAC teams), and the ability to lure away coaches like Briles, Sumlin, Holgerson, Kingsbury are just some advantages of being in one of the 'big name' conferences.

Last edited by DanielWayne; 09-10-2015 at 08:12 AM..

Old 09-10-2015, 08:58 AM

5,268 posts, read 6,428,748 times
Quote:
look at Tech. they got all the funding and support of the BCS/Big 12.. where are they now?
They had 1 down season this last year, and been to bowl games nearly every other season. So looking pretty good.

I'm not sure why Rice keeps getting mentioned. Home game attendance is the number to look at. They pale in comparison, and I'd bet they don't last in D1 for football much longer. Same for SMU. Their home game attendance numbers are pretty sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas