Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 11:33 AM

183 posts, read 533,970 times

Advertisements

i am a Michigan resident and my gf and i are thinking of moving to Texas to finish up school, her sister and husband live in Texas. when her sister moved to Texas she established residency quickly by saying that she lived with her boyfriend's (weren't married yet) parents. is this still possible? what else has to be done to establish residency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 01:06 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaptrex View Post
i am a Michigan resident and my gf and i are thinking of moving to Texas to finish up school, her sister and husband live in Texas. when her sister moved to Texas she established residency quickly by saying that she lived with her boyfriend's (weren't married yet) parents. is this still possible? what else has to be done to establish residency?
Normally, a one-year residency in Texas is required before being eligible for in-state tuition rates. You'll have to check with the ones you might be interested in to see if there are any exceptions to this rule:

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2008 at 07:16 AM..

Old 01-28-2008, 06:26 PM

183 posts, read 533,970 times
could we say that we lived with them? them being her sister/husband.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Well when you apply as a resident you will have to show proof of residency for the past year..like lease, drivers license, etc. They won't take your word for it.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:47 AM

1 posts, read 8,279 times
I obtained my residency permit last 7 months. I reside in Massachusetts but has not yet established myself as a permanent resident of Massachusetts since I want to relocate to Texas. What should I do? I want to go to college in Texas.

Last edited by shonexxe; 02-26-2009 at 03:00 AM..

Old 02-26-2009, 06:01 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,929,954 times
Step 1. Move to Texas.
Step 2. Save your money for a year.
Step 3. Apply to the Texas school you want.

The point of establishing residency is to make sure you are participating in the economy (read: taxes) enough to support the state's subsidy of state colleges. That's part of the deal for getting in-state tuition, the idea that you've paid the difference in taxes, or will in the near future by continuing to live here.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:50 PM

137 posts, read 474,560 times
How about getting a PO box and a driver's license? Just a thought.
Also, if you go to a Texas community college there may not be an out of state tuition charge. I could be wrong, but I think I looked into this about 15 yrs ago. I might be confusing my states.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:02 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendiej View Post
How about getting a PO box and a driver's license? Just a thought.
Also, if you go to a Texas community college there may not be an out of state tuition charge. I could be wrong, but I think I looked into this about 15 yrs ago. I might be confusing my states.
No, the community and technical college applications ask for proof of residency. At least, they did a few years ago when I was helping my students with their college applications.

The laws are designed to lessen the likelihood that we'll be scammed. No offense, but why should people be able to barrel down here from the north and pay in-state tuition when they haven't contributed anything to our state? We try to keep tuition affordable for OUR students, not so everyone else in the country can take advantage of it.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:33 PM

137 posts, read 474,560 times
I hear you about affordable in state tuition, teatime. I have two girls in Texas colleges this year! And it was a huge application process to get residency, so I understand what you are saying. However, I do think that by various states helping one another and offering affordable options (which does happen in many border cities) students benefit. Many students have few options when their parents move or they are on their own. They have fewer options and have to work for a year in order to establish residency. The rule is not really all that effective if kids are making minimum wage and not paying all that much in taxes to contribute to Texas' higher educational costs.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:29 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swaptrex View Post
When I first moved to texas to go to Texas A&M (summer of 2003) I was an out of state resident. I drove pizzas for a year at pizza hut and starting fall semester 2004 they charged me state tuition.

Basically, you need to have lived there for a year and have worked as well for a year to be a state resident. Having a paystub to verify as well as a rental agreement can help to prove it just in case

What school are you planning on attending?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: