Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 10:04 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,923,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I love Northeast Texas but don't care for the summers at all. They're reliably humid, yet there's little actual rainfall during the peak of the season, which I hate. Cities like Tyler and Texarkana can get kind of brown looking in July-August while most of the Southeast is still lush and saturated.

The Big Thicket and points south are pretty much the only parts of Texas that are usually wet throughout the year, and it's also one of the few areas of the state that isn't currently in drought.
That marked late summer dryness on the averages seems to be much of an inland phenomenon across many areas of the Southeast as well; the same pattern can be seen in those cities, in areas like Memphis, Tupelo, Shreveport, etc. It seems that only areas with decent proximity to the coast get reliable rainfall throughout the year.

South Texas is even worse with rainfall, though. At least Tyler and Texarkana have some time of getting decent amounts of rainfall, adding up to a decent rainfall average; in South Texas, you have near semi-arid climates right on the coast. Check out the averages for Brownsville and South Padre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 07:15 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Yes, thats very common. You won't get fall until the end of October.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:26 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I lived in Abilene from late spring to late summer. There was a day in May where the low was in the 50s and it only reached 64. Felt amazing to have it so cool so close to summer. Cannot dream of that down in Florida ^^ I like west Texas' weather (outside the desert) better during the hot months. It is so much drier!
how was Abilene, Badger?That kind of weather is not really normal for West Texas.One time several years ago it froze in may here in Midland.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:49 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,460,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
how was Abilene, Badger?That kind of weather is not really normal for West Texas.One time several years ago it froze in may here in Midland.
I sometimes complained that it was a little boring when I lived there last summer, but looking back I do miss it. I thought the town was for the most part really clean and pretty and it had some very friendly people and characters there. The traffic was never really bad, either. There were a few bad drivers but compared to South Florida, people drive pretty well. Also, I noticed that the left turn arrows actually LAST a while there, compared to the two seconds in Miami lol and don't get started on the green lights here in Denton! I liked that the roads were in decent conditions too, and there wasn't construction everywhere. The public pool was also the nicest I've ever been to, though the city parks were lacking as a whole.

One thing though, this I've noticed in both Denton and especially Abilene: why do y'all have so few street lights? It's so dark at night and I got lost driving there after sundown sometimes

Old 09-25-2015, 09:23 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,167 times
I live in eastern TX, and yes it does seem as if September has been relentlessly hot. I'm {bleeping} sick and tired of it.

I don't know why it can't be normal around here once in awhile, and yes I'm going to take exception to what was said earlier (respectfully), to me the normals in fact are or should be the NORMAL for an area. I suppose I learned wrong (in that they use the term but that it apparently should be called average instead), but in my mind, no matter what anybody says, no matter what the reason, I don't care--to me, the weather SHOULD be normal. That's my expectation, and I'm sticking with it. I'll go to my grave being of the belief that weather should adhere to the norms, and do so downright religiously. I love warm weather, yet even so in my opinion there should NEVER be 80 degree days in December, and there sure as heck should NEVER be 50 degree days in May. Ever, not even 1 time in 45,000 years. EVER. To me the calendar and normals are nothing less than God, to be quite honest.

Maybe it's because I've been diagnosed with Asperger's, but I like things in their proper place and I like a sense of order vs a sense of chaos. I take comfort in things such as how my one aunt has lived in the same place for 30-odd years, same phone number, and still acts much the same, and her house looks almost identical to how it looked 30 years ago. I dislike things such as some people going by their middle name, some by their first and middle name combined, and others go by a nickname that's not even on their birth certificate. To me, ALL people should go by their first name ONLY and if they want to go by their middle name or a nickname they should be REQUIRED to change their name legally to reflect this or else they can't complain when everyone still calls them by their first name. I don't believe in exceptions to the rule, the rules are EVERYTHING with such things in terms of keeping things logical and in order.

Thus, to me, spring should never have a single cold day in it, and September shouldn't be darned near 100 degrees when the NORMAL high for September 1st is 92'F and the normal high for September 25th is 84'F. If the normal high is 84, it should be 84, period, every single day such is the case, no exceptions, ever. If someone finds that "boring," tough--they can get adventure by going sky-diving or hang-gliding etc. Weather that isn't normal to me is like living with a schizophrenic.

Besides that (I know many are going "wow" at those previous statements), I have noticed that heat bothers me more than it did in years past. Anymore, anything above 90'F is brutal. At the same time, I don't like it COLD either. I live for it being 80-85F, and what bothers me is that the period that is the most "all over the place" temperatures wise are the times when the NORMAL is around 80, such as now until mid-October or April etc. Those are also the times, it seems, when it's most likely to be cloudy or rainy as well (this past spring was especially brutal that way), the very periods when you could be enjoying the sun because it's WARM but it's not HOT. I swear it's like Mother Nature is on crack or something. It seems to give us very little pleasant weather, ever. Either it's HOT or it's COLD, for it to be 75-85 and sunny such is about as rare as $3 bills, even during the period when such is NORMAL.

Last edited by shyguylh; 09-25-2015 at 09:32 PM..

Old 09-25-2015, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I live in eastern TX, and yes it does seem as if September has been relentlessly hot. I'm {bleeping} sick and tired of it.

I don't know why it can't be normal around here once in awhile, and yes I'm going to take exception to what was said earlier (respectfully), to me the normals in fact are or should be the NORMAL for an area. I suppose I learned wrong (in that they use the term but that it apparently should be called average instead), but in my mind, no matter what anybody says, no matter what the reason, I don't care--to me, the weather SHOULD be normal. That's my expectation, and I'm sticking with it. I'll go to my grave being of the belief that weather should adhere to the norms, and do so downright religiously. I love warm weather, yet even so in my opinion there should NEVER be 80 degree days in December, and there sure as heck should NEVER be 50 degree days in May. Ever, not even 1 time in 45,000 years. EVER. To me the calendar and normals are nothing less than God, to be quite honest.

Maybe it's because I've been diagnosed with Asperger's, but I like things in their proper place and I like a sense of order vs a sense of chaos. I take comfort in things such as how my one aunt has lived in the same place for 30-odd years, same phone number, and still acts much the same, and her house looks almost identical to how it looked 30 years ago. I dislike things such as some people going by their middle name, some by their first and middle name combined, and others go by a nickname that's not even on their birth certificate. To me, ALL people should go by their first name ONLY and if they want to go by their middle name or a nickname they should be REQUIRED to change their name legally to reflect this or else they can't complain when everyone still calls them by their first name. I don't believe in exceptions to the rule, the rules are EVERYTHING with such things in terms of keeping things logical and in order.

Thus, to me, spring should never have a single cold day in it, and September shouldn't be darned near 100 degrees when the NORMAL high for September 1st is 92'F and the normal high for September 25th is 84'F. If the normal high is 84, it should be 84, period, every single day such is the case, no exceptions, ever. If someone finds that "boring," tough--they can get adventure by going sky-diving or hang-gliding etc. Weather that isn't normal to me is like living with a schizophrenic.

Besides that (I know many are going "wow" at those previous statements), I have noticed that heat bothers me more than it did in years past. Anymore, anything above 90'F is brutal. At the same time, I don't like it COLD either. I live for it being 80-85F, and what bothers me is that the period that is the most "all over the place" temperatures wise are the times when the NORMAL is around 80, such as now until mid-October or April etc. Those are also the times, it seems, when it's most likely to be cloudy or rainy as well (this past spring was especially brutal that way), the very periods when you could be enjoying the sun because it's WARM but it's not HOT. I swear it's like Mother Nature is on crack or something. It seems to give us very little pleasant weather, ever. Either it's HOT or it's COLD, for it to be 75-85 and sunny such is about as rare as $3 bills, even during the period when such is NORMAL.

Umm, a bit off track there with the "name thing" buddy. I know it's been really hot, but relax a little lol

Old 09-25-2015, 11:24 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I sometimes complained that it was a little boring when I lived there last summer, but looking back I do miss it. I thought the town was for the most part really clean and pretty and it had some very friendly people and characters there. The traffic was never really bad, either. There were a few bad drivers but compared to South Florida, people drive pretty well. Also, I noticed that the left turn arrows actually LAST a while there, compared to the two seconds in Miami lol and don't get started on the green lights here in Denton! I liked that the roads were in decent conditions too, and there wasn't construction everywhere. The public pool was also the nicest I've ever been to, though the city parks were lacking as a whole.

One thing though, this I've noticed in both Denton and especially Abilene: why do y'all have so few street lights? It's so dark at night and I got lost driving there after sundown sometimes
I am not for sure.Im glad u liked old Lene Town.Its always been one of my favorite places personally.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
I am not for sure.Im glad u liked old Lene Town.Its always been one of my favorite places personally.
I really wanted to visit the Old West museum but never got to. One day when I'm in town I'll fix a trip to it!

Old 09-26-2015, 07:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
On a positive note, the mornings and evenings in northeast Texas have been GORGEOUS for the past few weeks, especially the past few days. I've been getting up and leaving my back door wide open in the mornings so I can smell and feel that cool morning breeze and listen to how happy the birds and squirrels are in my back yard!

I love "porch sitting" and thanks to autumn approaching, I am getting to do plenty of it.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:00 PM

156 posts, read 244,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post

So you're telling us the first name on your birth certificate is shyguylh?

-----------------------

On a more serious note, "average" does not mean the same thing as "normal."

The average temperature of any given day is the combination of every temperature recorded on that day divided by the number of temperatures added up. Average temperature does not mean the temperature is supposed to be the exact same every year.

It's completely normal for actual temperatures to be several degrees warmer or cooler than the average temperature.

For example, during the spring and late fall months, random cold fronts can drop temperatures 20+ degrees. Because cold fronts don't fall on the same days every year, you won't find instances of days where the average temperature is 20* below the previous day, even though it's normal to see this in reality.

If you're looking for a place where actual temperatures and weather conditions don't ever deviate from what is average for that day, you're going to be very disappointed.

-------------------

Outside of this post, I sometimes use "average" and "normal" interchangeably even though I shouldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas