Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 12:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,263 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone I am new to this forum, me and my fiance will be tying the knot next year in October, and we currently live in California. We really want to leave this state and start fresh somewhere that fits our lifestyle. Religion, hunting, fishing, and a over all great cities to raise a family. We are looking around Austin and San Antonio area. Would prefer to live outside the city . I have looked into new Braunfels and converse. Any other places we should consider? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 12:59 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,046 times
East Texas

Old 09-27-2015, 01:03 PM

133 posts, read 221,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee_jay360 View Post
Hello everyone I am new to this forum, me and my fiance will be tying the knot next year in October, and we currently live in California. We really want to leave this state and start fresh somewhere that fits our lifestyle. Religion, hunting, fishing, and a over all great cities to raise a family. We are looking around Austin and San Antonio area. Would prefer to live outside the city . I have looked into new Braunfels and converse. Any other places we should consider? Thank you
Howdy there!! Lol... I am a born and raised Texan. California, you say. I can understand the selection to move. Your lifestyle selections do fit here pretty well. Cost of living surely differs from where you are. Austin area can be a little bit expensive to me anyways. San Antonio is pretty mild on cost of living, good for commute into town if you live of on the outskirts of town. Not sure of much fishing but I'm sure if you'll look into it, you may find something. Corpus Christi , is pretty good for good fishing, boating also. I love boating!! You can Google the towns of interest and re- check the crime stats per zip code to see demographics. I think it's important for the kids to have other kids around town. they are the next to pick up the next generation sometimes after you are long gone.

I currently live in Houston, TX. It's a wonderful place for the right person. However, it's too much for me!! To flashy and busy. Looking to relocate myself.

All I can say is do your research because what works for one person doesn't always work for the next. You can get advice on here then move and feel different when you move here. Best you can do is visit a few times before you make a major move.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:33 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
East Texas
Not necessary to go that far. Everything he's looking for can be found within or around the Saustin area.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfur View Post
Howdy there!! Lol... I am a born and raised Texan. California, you say. I can understand the selection to move. Your lifestyle selections do fit here pretty well. Cost of living surely differs from where you are. Austin area can be a little bit expensive to me anyways. San Antonio is pretty mild on cost of living, good for commute into town if you live of on the outskirts of town. Not sure of much fishing but I'm sure if you'll look into it, you may find something. Corpus Christi , is pretty good for good fishing, boating also. I love boating!! You can Google the towns of interest and re- check the crime stats per zip code to see demographics. I think it's important for the kids to have other kids around town. they are the next to pick up the next generation sometimes after you are long gone.

I currently live in Houston, TX. It's a wonderful place for the right person. However, it's too much for me!! To flashy and busy. Looking to relocate myself.

All I can say is do your research because what works for one person doesn't always work for the next. You can get advice on here then move and feel different when you move here. Best you can do is visit a few times before you make a major move.

You're so correct on just visiting and seeing it for yourself. Me and my soon to be wife are planing on going to Texas the day after our wedding to search the areas we have been looking at.
I really do appreciate the replies, I haven't looked into corpus Christi yet. Have any of you personally been to like new braunfels, or the cities between Austin and San Antonio? Would love to hear your thought on those cities. Thanks again everyone the sooner I'm out of California the better.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:45 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,736,986 times
Things to know:

1. New Braunfels closely associated with San Antonio due to distance. Specific questions about New Braunfels are answered better in the San Antonio subforum.

2. San Marcos, Round Rock, Georgetown, & Dripping Springs are closely associated with Austin. Specific questions about these cities are answered better in the Austin subforum.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:42 AM

738 posts, read 765,532 times
The best way to describe hunting and fishing in Corpus is to point out that a large part of the population lives there for the express purpose of having hunting and fishing as the centerpiece of their life. It goes way beyond hobby. It's all they ever talk about at parties or business meetings. There are not just gun stores but stores devoted entirely to bow hunting. The Academy sporting goods store is the highest sales store in the company and they have tons of competition from locally owned retailers. Hunting and fishing talk is the standard male conversation icebreaker and usually ends in a man date being set up. The newspaper has a fulltime hunting and fishing columnist. People have charity fishing tournaments instead of charity golf tournaments. You can't find a construction contractor to do anything during deer season. Businessmen from Houston and San Antonio strategically set up visits so they can stay an extra day to go fishing.

In terms of religion there is pretty much a congregation for everyone. The area is heavily Catholic but mostly religion is a private matter since there is a lot of diversity of faiths. There are good schools for the most part but some aren't as good as others for the usual reasons. Nothing super fantastic and nothing abysmally bad like most small cities.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:25 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
If your goal is to leave California, don't move to the Austin area. It has become, and continues to become, Californicated. Based on what you are interested in, I would also avoid the Dallas area as it seems to be the portion of the state where people are most concerned with appearances and what other people think of them. Dallas people have a reputation for being overly fancy and materialistic. On the other hand, Houston has a reputation for being more working class.

You're not going to have a hard time finding religion, hunting and fishing anywhere in the state. Really it will come down to employment and the type of geography you prefer. There are cultural differences that are worth noting too, some of which I mentioned.

But yes, you and your fiance have the right idea of coming to experience it for yourselves to make a decision.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:36 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee_jay360 View Post
Vinegar or brown sugar based?

Old 10-01-2015, 03:31 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Vinegar or brown sugar based?
I think he is talking BBQ sauce. BBQ is important in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas