Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 11:53 AM

11 posts, read 20,355 times

Advertisements

Curious because there may be a great opportunity for a new job in New Braunfels. I would like feedback about which city is preferred depending on our situation. Family of 4, one child will be in last year of elementary, one on the way. School rankings important. Family lives in Austin. Would like larger lot (at least .5 acre). Home price around 300K. Outdoorsy. Also, if you know, would like a good selection of extracurricular activities (restaurants, shopping, dance studio, music lessons, etc.). Would like suggestions as well as recommendations on neighborhoods, realtors, schools and anything else you can think of!

Thank you!

(We have been in North Austin for 4 years now)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 12:58 PM

323 posts, read 346,178 times
I lived in New Braunfels for over 10 years before relocating outside the state for work a couple years ago. I LOVE New Braunfels and even though I didn't grow up there, I consider it my hometown. Life is great in NB!

Ok, let's dive into your questions:

SCHOOLS
Regarding schools, my preference is NBISD bc my brother went to school there and did very well. The teachers were good and overall experience was exceptional. I do not have direct experience with Comal ISD, but to my understanding they are good as well so it really depends on your preference.

NEIGHBORHOODS
As for neighborhoods, for what you would like, the choices will be a little slimmer. There is a ton of new building going on, but most of those are smaller lots. The neighborhood that jumps out at me to start with is the Oakwood subdivision off Loop 337 (street names include Oakwood, Texas, Lakeview, etc.). The neighborhood is established and the homes there are VERY nice IMO. They tend to be in your price range and are older ranch-style homes with large lots (not sure about the 1/2 acre, but they are large). It's a central neighborhood just up the hill from Landa Park, the Island, Schlitterbahn and all of the other major attractions. It's also near amenities like HEB, doctors offices and restaurants. If we ever moved back to NB, we would look there. These homes are in NBISD.

If you are looking for newer, larger homes, I would suggest Havenwood, Gruene Haven or River Chase. All of these are custom built homes near FM 306. That part of town is getting a little congested with Creekside shopping center, but it's close to the amenities of Creekside including a theatre, the new hospital and the soon-to-be built HEB Plus. All of these neighborhoods filter into Comal ISD.

EXTRACURRICULAR ACTIVITIES
Wow...where do I start? Visit the NB Chamber website or the visitors bureau site for more info, but here are just a few of my favorite parts of NB:
Schlitterbahn - best waterpark
Comal and Guadalupe Rivers - I recommend the Comal...a little more family friendly and leisurely
Comal County Fair - September of every year. The kids get Fair Day off to attend the Fair Parade downtown and then go to the fair with free admission...TONS OF FUN!
Wurstfest - 10 day salute to sausage. NB's version of Oktoberfest...on steroids. It's a great fun with lots of live music, a carnival and a vast array of great German-inspired food. For families, I recommend going on Sundays.
Gruene...in the winter - live music, lots of locals out, eat on the patio, see the Christmas lights...Gruene does it up right!
Festage (pronounced fest-augie) - Christmas in NB... kicks off the Weinachtsmarkt (The Christmas Market) and downtown tree lighting and includes Wassailfest and Caroling on the Plaza

As for realtors, I would pick a local...I will PM you a few names.

I hope this info helps. Feel free to ask more questions.

Like we say in NB, "En New Braunfels, ist das leben schon!" (in New Braunfels, life is beautiful!)

Old 10-13-2015, 03:17 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
I would say New Braunfels because San Marcos is known for its college parties.New Braunfels is a kool town but maybe Im biased because I am German.German culture is very huge there.So you may feel a little left out if you aint German.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:58 PM

323 posts, read 346,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
but maybe Im biased because I am German.German culture is very huge there.So you may feel a little left out if you aint German.
Haha...You don't have to be German to love the culture there...it's a mix of so many, it's wonderful. Sure the German culture is huge but that's to be expected in a German town. I always though it was awesome that my brother learned German and Spanish while in elementary school.

OP, you won't feel left out...I promise. The culture is inclusive but it's also what you make of it too.

Also, regarding San Marcos, I would agree with Western Traveler...I went to school at Southwest Texas State and I can say that it's a true college town and the school system is not the best. Avoid buying there.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:21 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxHeather View Post
Haha...You don't have to be German to love the culture there...it's a mix of so many, it's wonderful. Sure the German culture is huge but that's to be expected in a German town. I always though it was awesome that my brother learned German and Spanish while in elementary school.

OP, you won't feel left out...I promise. The culture is inclusive but it's also what you make of it too.

Also, regarding San Marcos, I would agree with Western Traveler...I went to school at Southwest Texas State and I can say that it's a true college town and the school system is not the best. Avoid buying there.
I wish i knew German maybe someday.I took spanish in hs and it comes in handy.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:06 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,629,836 times
They have tried to re-brand the college in San Marcos away from the party picture, not sure if the effort was/is successful. San Marcos has EXPLODED in population, it is one big mess. I would pick New Braunfels any time.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:55 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,931,388 times
A larger lot is not .5 acres, try more like 5 acres. You sound more like the "family" type, NB is where you need to be.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:43 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama1020 View Post
Curious because there may be a great opportunity for a new job in New Braunfels.
That would clench it for me! I much rather living near where I work than having to commute the from San Marcos.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:23 AM

11 posts, read 20,355 times
Thank you all for your responses!!

Old 10-14-2015, 10:57 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
New Braunfels will offer your family more and amenities are exploding off of 306 @ I-35.

http://www.newbraunfelstowncenter.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas