Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:14 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,613,058 times

Advertisements

Good Morning Fellow Texans!

I had an idear for a new thread based on this great story by one of our numbers:

Originally Posted by SamKen
I love all things Texas! The culture, the landscape, the food, and especially the people. Here is a story I love to tell: I was in Boston and I was having a conversation with this old-timer on a bench in Boston Common. I answered every question with yes sir, no sir. When his wife arrived, I quickly got on my feet and said, "have a seat ma'am." The old man just looked at me and said, "You must be from Texas."

That is, do any of y'all have any similar stories or such to tell about something that marked you as a Texan? Or from this part of the country? Or, on a related note, something that someone else said or did that was complimentary about our great state and mannerisms?

One that comes to mind immediately with me is somewhat similar to SamKen's. I was in Ohio with an ex of mine and as we were leaving a restaurant, I held the door open for a foursome of older couples. One of the ladies thanked me and I said something like, "you're welcome, ma'am." At that point, one of the men (perhaps noticing either my words or accent) said, "I'll am guessing that you are from down south somewhere." I said he was correct, Texas (by gawd...although I didn't add that part! LOL) to be exact.

We all then spent a few pleasant minutes visiting in the parking lot area where the man told me he was retired military who had spent time all over the country. And it was his opinion that "the further south you go, the friendlier the people get...and Texas probably topped them all."

Makes one feel awful proud!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 09:34 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,642,016 times
It is known that Texans are good about getting over on the shoulder when a car needs to pass. Have not seen that in any other state.

But remember several years ago when I got a flat tire on the highway. Had called AAA (they never come out anymore in a timely manner). A pickup stopped and an old guy in his big ten gallon hat got out to help. His wife told me later he had a heart condition, and should not be doing any heavy labor, but he did it anyway, bless his heart. That is a real Texas gentleman, helping a stranger in distress. I later sent flowers to his place of business to thank him and his wife for stopping and helping me.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
It is known that Texans are good about getting over on the shoulder when a car needs to pass. Have not seen that in any other state.
Very true, Miss Lily! Along with a casual wave at those in the opposite lane on rural highways, pulling over to the shoulder and letting others go around you, to help them pass, is a staple of Texas driving manners!

Old 04-12-2008, 10:07 AM

238 posts, read 767,203 times
How about just minding them period?

Old 04-12-2008, 10:20 AM

Yes, the waving also very friendly gesture of Texans.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:00 PM

Personally, I don't believe it is EVER too early to teach a child basic good manners! Or at least the way we Texans/Southerners define them. That is to say, "yes and no" (sir or ma'am"). Please. Thank You and You're Welcome. I always taught my son, from the time he was old enough to stand and understand, that when you meet a man, you shake his hand, look him in the eye, and say, "glad to meet you (sir...or Mister____). With a lady, you don't grab her hand unless she offers first, but if so, you take it lightly and say the same sort of words, although in a bit lighter voice and tone.

You hold the door open for folks, especially ladies and older people...and you stand when a lady comes into a room and offer her (or an older person) your chair. And, until you get to know someone on a familiar level, when you speak to them either directly or in general conversation, you do so in a manner which is respectful. "Hey dude..." dont cut it.

*remembering fondly and laughingly* If I had ever done what I see some kids nowdays doing in the realm of mannerisms, my grandmothers wouldn't have left enough of me for my daddy to get hold of....

Old 04-12-2008, 04:03 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,147,759 times
Shortly after we moved back to Texas, my wife and I were flying back to Ohio from the Abilene airport. I was in the restroom, when my wife realized that she did not have a photo ID with her to get on the plane. I had the car keys. We were under a tight time constraint. When I left the restroom, I could not find my wife. She had gone to the parking lot and was trying to get into our car. (I don't know how she would have started it.) A couple saw her and asked if they could help. They took her back to our house, she got her driver's license, and they returned her to the airport and refused to take any more than a thank you. We made our plane--just barely. That would have never happened in any other city we have lived, I don't think. (We did send them flowers after we returned home.) That kind of generosity and help plays itself out every day in this state and this city. It makes me proud to be a Texasn.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:24 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,700,559 times
I like all the responses. I'll give this a try, although I'm not sure I have any really great stories.

The most recent was New York. We were at this Pub (it's either the oldest one in the U.S or the oldest one on the East Coast) and got to talking to a few people. Mind you, they are still sensitive about 9/11 (rightfully so) but one guy recognized our accent as Southern and we told him we were from Texas. He said "The place where everyone carries guns?" We politely set him straight, but also told him that people down here really love that we have that right to defend ourselves. He wasn't too thrilled with that response, of course, and our friends who live there in Brooklyn said we were lucky he didn't start a fight.

On a lighter note, that same trip, I had gone back to the hotel to crash and my husband was still "wide awake and ready to party", so he went down the block to some other pub and met some Irish tourists. They were so excited to meet a Texan they invited him to sit at their table and they bought him some beers and they all told stories about Texas. Oh, my friend took us to Carnegie Deli one day and it's so busy there that you have to share tables. One of the couples sitting at the table with us was from San Antonio! We had a good laugh and said "Hey! Small world, no matter where you go you always find a Texan" We ended up ordering nearly the same food, and these sandwiches were HUGE! Even bigger than any I've seen in Texas. Well, anyway, there were some british guys also at our table and they were listening to us talk about how big the food was, and they said "Being from Texas, don't you usually get food that's that big?" Needless to say, we got a good laugh out of that.

My friend who lives there says one of the things she misses about Texas is the family closeness...How when she goes to visit her family in the Tyler area and they all sit around and tell great stories. She lives near her in-laws currently and says that they don't have that same type of closeness. She also says you CANNOT find good Mexican food up there, unless you make it yourself. Indian foods become her substitute.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:29 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,969,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Very true, Miss Lily! Along with a casual wave at those in the opposite lane on rural highways, pulling over to the shoulder and letting others go around you, to help them pass, is a staple of Texas driving manners!
I've done that.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:33 PM

I do too, all the time. But seems that politeness is less prevalent today sadly, especially on the busier roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas