Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 08:32 AM

3,246 posts, read 5,593,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Climate may also be an adjustment. Dallas and Austin won't be as humid as Boston, but they will be 15 degrees hotter on average during the summer.

Austin is definitely more outdoorsy than Dallas, but Denver blows both of them away in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Climate may also be an adjustment. Dallas and Austin won't be as humid as Boston, but they will be 15 degrees hotter on average during the summer.

Austin is definitely more outdoorsy than Dallas, but Denver blows both of them away in that regard.
The humidity thingy is a wash ... mornings higher than Boston and evenings lower. Relative Humidity Averages in US Cities - Current Results

Colorado politics suck from an average Texan's perspective but coming from Boston the OP might be more comfortable than in Texas. How's the economy in Colorado ... mans gotta work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 09:10 AM

3,246 posts, read 5,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern15 View Post
Hey I'm a 27 yr old male, professional & single from Boston area.
Have been doing research over the past year on where I'd like to move and Dallas or Austin are in my top 5.
Others are New Orleans, San Fran & Denver.

I'll most likely be moving solo. Regarding Dallas & Austin, what will be some of the bigger adjustments?
Doubtful rent is higher than Boston.

How about getting to know people. Friendly? Public Transit, pay, outdoor activities, etc.

Live in active lifestyle, play music, spend time outdoors, hockey fan, fishing, bonfires, exercise and like to go out to bars, etc.
Thanks
N
I think on the trades market a lot depends on the trade. Welding and equipment operation prolly would excel in the industrial Gulf Coast. A LOT of industrial expansion in all these petro chemical complexes. Carpentry and building trades is a wash as each is dependant on commercial/residential growth and most would consider that somewhat equal city to city.

Party life varies but Austin would probably be the tops. For music too, Austin's music scene definitely dominates!!!!! Also very liberal, even stoopid liberal ... kinda Kalifornia liberal with weird laws and progressivism dominating.

Outdoors activities have been discussed to death here (C-D) over the years. I have done detailed breakdowns. Depends on the activity. More water on the coast and water resources (Houston area) and hiking around Austin can be yuppie CROWDED. The Hill Country was awesome 30-40 years ago but now to drift a river you are soaking in thousands of others' beer stimulated urinary effluent. Lakes are crowded. Having said that I like the idea of Austin geographically. Prolly the best mass transit in Austin but Texas is dominated by personal vehicle ownership.

DFW has issues with water crowding too. Lotta lakes, few rivers, you'll drive to escape crowding. I travel rarely to DFW so I am not the best resource but I do participate heavily on a fishing board dominated by DFW folks and and I hear their biching . Texas Fishing Forum | Forums powered by UBB.threads™

Because of the heat I am focusing on water here .

By far the best water opportunities are in East Texas with the 2 huge reservoirs there ... one 55 miles long and the other 80 miles long with thousands of miles of shore and surrounded in many parts by National Forests. Other streams/rivers offer kayaking/canoeing galore. Too much to list here. Fishing excels here. One National Preserve and 4 National Forest offer much access to large expanses with many trails (hiking). Lots of ATV parks. On the flip side minimal party scene but that always seemed such a waste of time and brain cells to me ... metro folks do it because, well, what else you gonna do???? I hunt, fish, ATV, and do nature photography with a lot of firearms training mixed in. Never had issues meeting or dating wimmin.

Speaking of fishing Any of the Gulf Coast estuary system (essentially the whole coast) has great inshore fishing and south of Galveston (down the coast anywhere) deep blue water fishing is available with a 1-2 hour boat ride. The Louisiana coast has the best inshore fishing in the world ... starts 2.5-3 hour drive from Houston (phenomenal Cajun culture there too that really know how to let their hair down , relax, and party).

6 hour drive west of San Antonio gets you to the somewhat desolate Big Bend National Park ... quite varied ecology there from low dessert to alpine. Live in DFW and you can be in the Rockies with and 8-10 hour drive. Texas is huge with quite varied regions ... the west is 180 degrees from the scenery of the east ... gotta have a vehicle to really enjoy and see it. You may move here and then decide that you want a different region to call home. Need to visit and experience a little 1st. I'd recommend living in an outlying area from the metros. You're in for some culture shock ... I've lived in the NE, been to Boston quite a few times, commuted thru Logan a lot ... it ain't the same even nearly! Da wimmin might dig your accent tho.

Hockey is available in the 2 large cities both to view and play. There is some roller hockey also. Texas is football country ... high school football is massive here with some games drawing 50 thousand. Many multi million dollar stadiums. We breathe and consume football here.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:49 PM

8,596 posts, read 14,789,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
The humidity thingy is a wash ... mornings higher than Boston and evenings lower. Relative Humidity Averages in US Cities - Current Results

Colorado politics suck from an average Texan's perspective but coming from Boston the OP might be more comfortable than in Texas. How's the economy in Colorado ... mans gotta work?
The two-party system we're unfortunately stuck with makes Colorado's political climate almost perfect. We're a solidly purple state. Neither party has a strong hold here so our elected officials can't take a dump on us and expect to get re-elected - unlike Texas. We also have direct initiative and referendum - meaning people have a direct say in government. Texas doesn't have that, either. Down there all constitutional amendments must be rubber sta...err I mean vetted and approved by the legislature.

Our economy is doing well. Unemployment figures in some parts of the state are at 15-year lows. COL is marginally higher than Dallas, but you get what you pay for.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:55 AM

684 posts, read 808,310 times
Denvers COL has sky rocketed due to so many people moving in and wanting to be by the mountains. I have done a lot of research and the traffic is getting bad. I am an outdoors person myself from NJ & CT. You will see in the forums that CO is not what everyone makes it to be so keep that in mind. You best bet would be to visit and explore everything.

Keep in mind TX is a huge state, its flat and yes ive lived out by Austin for 1 year so i visited all the "rolling hills" , its nothing like the east coast so please dont have high hopes. If you want mountains, then hit up CO or CA. TX has many outdoors things to do, its very affordable , and has good paying jobs. Basically down in TX your money will go longer for a house if you are in the market, property taxes are cheaper but also the same depending what area you might be in. I found the cost of goods shopping was a bit cheaper then the east coast and gas was fair. Utilities wasnt an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas