Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 10:38 AM

4,434 posts, read 5,348,331 times

Advertisements

On that kind of salary you need to look at San Antonio or CC. San Antonio offers WAY more than CC and is cheaper than Austin in terms of COL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 11:30 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingsR' Us View Post
"Cali Girl"? So im guessing you're from Columbia?
LOL, no one from California says they are from "Cali".

Old 03-14-2016, 12:24 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,457 times
I read call girl on first glance

Old 03-14-2016, 01:09 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
I read call girl on first glance
So did I, but I just took my contact lenses out...LOL

Old 03-14-2016, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 600 times
I moved here from San Diego, CA but I did lived in Orange County for awhile. I was a Broker there and now a Broker in Texas. I moved to Lewisville because the property taxes are less than Dallas county and you get more bang for your buck. There are a lot of jobs here and you can find an apt for $700 if you look. My daughter lives in one for $650. I would say, move, stay at a hotel or camping ground or friend until you get at least 2 paychecks, because that is what you need for a rental application.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:32 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
I don't get all the earlier posts about rent being so high and what not. Maybe you guys are high maintenance and are looking for newer apts in gentrified areas, which is typical of Texans, but if this girl is from southern "Cali" then she will have no problem renting an apt you guys would find "ghetto" in a working class area to start off. I've found several for 750 and they're not that bad.

OP, I'm a Houston native and we tend to have really high standards when it comes to living spaces. The keeping up with the joneses can be worse sometimes in Texas than in SoCal. I live in LA right now and understand why you want to get out. The wages suck and the costs are rising. My apt raised my rent by 400 bucks in one year! I'm paying 1450 for a studio! So, I'm looking to head back to Texas too.

Wages in certain sectors can be on par with SoCal wages and sometimes more. I'm sure you could find an admin position that might pay you more than 15 an hour. I remember turning down a job in data entry for a shipping company back in 2009 that paid 13 an hour. I'm sure it's higher now.

When I came back to visit Houston I had a whole new look on life. Texas tends to spoil it's natives. It's not considered nice unless it's new and shiny. But I found so many decent places for cheap in decent areas outside the loop.

San Antonio may be up your alley. Austin is too crowded and feels too much like a mini West LA. As far as dating, you'll find its MUCH easier to meet people and engage in decent convos. It's all games and playing hard to get in LA. Much better scene in Texas.

Go for it!

Old 03-14-2016, 10:44 PM

14 posts, read 33,995 times
Ive only been in fort worth about a week and its very country for my taste. No offense to anyone who loves that. But Im a beach girl and in my first week Ive knocked down 7 hornet nest and destroyed a giant ant hill and raid does not seem to stop those red fire ants from coming inside. So far.. Not
My scene! Trying to find the right balance of a little bit city (malls, jobs) and a little bit suburb (health food stores, safe apartments) and less country vibe. Dont hate me for
Being honest. The fort worth locals love it and say its a great place to raise a family. But if I cant find a place that fits me I might head back to overpriced CA. At first I was very interested in Austin, but after seeing it was just as expensive as cali I think I should steer clear. I have a friend in Plano that says I should consider that area. Found one apartment there in my budget. (By the way apartments said you have to have paystubs or a job offer letter, and thats without a cosigner, which I do have). Is plano as country as fort worth. My dream town is san clemente ca but its just so crazy expensive. Im hoping corpus christi will be a good fit for me but Ive gotten mixed reviews. Some people say its nice, and other people say its dangerous with crappy beaches. Also Ive been told the humidity there makes 100 degrees feel like 130. What is the weather like in corpus in your opinion? And office jobs?

Old 03-15-2016, 06:57 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Now you're on a different path altogether. Texas is Texas, it ain't "Cali". Country is the culture and you'll find it everywhere to some extent. Dallas and Houston are probably the only cities in Texas that have a more cosmopolitan feel. Every other town, even the beach towns have a tinge of country.
And I'm surprised you didn't get the country feel in CA? Only the coastal towns are truly stereotypically country. The rest of CA especially the east is country as hell. I went to Atascadero and found the town to be exactly like the small town I grew up in Texas. There were ranchers, farmers, kickers and tons of ford f-150s. So why does CA think it's so different and not a part of the southwest?

Sorry for the rant but if Austin didn't grab ya, and you don't want to live in the cities of Dallas or Houston, then you're better off in FL or the Carolinas. Try Charlesron, SC. Beautiful, lively, cultured and cheaper than CA.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:07 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
Ive only been in fort worth about a week and its very country for my taste.
Ft Worth emphasizes it's 'countryness' in it's marketing and it's primary tourist attraction is called the 'The Stockyards'. Not sure how you moved there without noticing that first...

Old 03-15-2016, 11:27 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGirl2TX View Post
Ive only been in fort worth about a week and its very country for my taste. No offense to anyone who loves that. But Im a beach girl and in my first week Ive knocked down 7 hornet nest and destroyed a giant ant hill and raid does not seem to stop those red fire ants from coming inside. So far.. Not
My scene! Trying to find the right balance of a little bit city (malls, jobs) and a little bit suburb (health food stores, safe apartments) and less country vibe. Dont hate me for
Being honest. The fort worth locals love it and say its a great place to raise a family. But if I cant find a place that fits me I might head back to overpriced CA. At first I was very interested in Austin, but after seeing it was just as expensive as cali I think I should steer clear. I have a friend in Plano that says I should consider that area. Found one apartment there in my budget. (By the way apartments said you have to have paystubs or a job offer letter, and thats without a cosigner, which I do have). Is plano as country as fort worth. My dream town is san clemente ca but its just so crazy expensive. Im hoping corpus christi will be a good fit for me but Ive gotten mixed reviews. Some people say its nice, and other people say its dangerous with crappy beaches. Also Ive been told the humidity there makes 100 degrees feel like 130. What is the weather like in corpus in your opinion? And office jobs?
I honestly didn't find the weather in Corpus bad at all. Sure it's hot and humid most of the year but the breezes from the gulf seemed to keep the heat in check. I found Dallas WAY hotter than Corpus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas