Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 01:47 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,101,913 times

Advertisements

I frequently pick up at a dairy in Perryton and bring the load back to our yard in Clovis.
I've heard they close roads if a storm gets bad enough to snarl traffic in NM.

But how exactly does TX do it?
I've driven about 15-25 mph on the TX-70 between Pampa and Perryton when there were no plows or de-icers running, yet there were no state patrol barricades or anything put up.

Is it more of a "run at your own risk" sort of thing?

With that garbage expected to come down this weekend, I'm heavily contemplating just telling dispatch that I'm staying home on Sat/Sun and then heading back out on Monday when it's supposed to clear up.
I've dealt with the storms in this particular area for the past, three years I've lived here and managed to survive them by the seat of the pants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 07:21 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
Here in San Antonio, they use barricades and sometimes station an LEO at the barricade to enforce road closures for ice. (We rarely get snow.) It's not an advisory closure... it's a full-blown "stay off of the road or get ticketed" closure.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:13 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,339,457 times
They will close roads in NM and in TX (at least on the High Plains) if conditions get bad enough. However, Texas seems to mostly just warn you to stay off the roads rather than shut them down. I suspect that this weekends things are going to get pretty bad around here.

Here's some a couple of websites I use to check road conditions (and closures) in both States especially whenever any of my family is traveling between Texas and New Mexico. My wife and grandkids are on their way over to west Texas tonight from Albuquerque so hopefully they should be ahead of the incoming bad weather.

New Mexico Roads - http://nmroads.com

Texas Roads - DriveTexas

Sometimes I also check some of the webcams the State Highway Departments and various towns have going. You can find some of New Mexico's highway cameras at the nmroads.com. Some highway cams in Texas area at: Traffic Cameras

Old 12-24-2015, 06:05 PM

Hmm.
Well as usual, the company is saying if the roads are clear enough to go ahead and head out.
But since the thought of using my 10-11 hours of driving time to get all the way up Perryton and then spend the night up there is bad enough, I'd rather just risk whatever consequences come about and stay home in my own room.

It doesn't really snow all that much out in this area honestly.
But all it takes is one monumental fail, in one of the few snow-storms, to put an early end to this line of work.

Besides, if the roads are bad outside my front door, I ain't going nowhere at all.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:55 PM

Unless it was blowing across the road, snow never bothered me much when I drove a semi out here. It's the ice under the snow that will eat your lunch though. And whenever we get a moisture event out here on the High Plains during the winter, ice always seems to be a significant part of it.

Be careful.

Old 12-25-2015, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Unless it was blowing across the road, snow never bothered me much when I drove a semi out here. It's the ice under the snow that will eat your lunch though. And whenever we get a moisture event out here on the High Plains during the winter, ice always seems to be a significant part of it.

Be careful.
I guess the job is just finally starting to give me the jitters then, especially whenever winter hits around these parts.
So yeah, I'm just going to go into ignore mode and if I need to hunt around for work again, then that's that.

Ten years of doing this and I've never really felt 100% at it.

Old 12-25-2015, 01:07 PM

My family got in safely last night. My wife said they ran into a few sprinkles of snow at Moriarty but nothing significant. Of course, if there's any snow within 100 miles of Albuquerque, it will be falling at Moriarty or Clines Corner.

They've changed our former "winter storm watch" to a "blizzard watch". I just checked the antifreeze in the cars and tractors and parked them all in the barn. I think we are ready.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
My family got in safely last night. My wife said they ran into a few sprinkles of snow at Moriarty but nothing significant. Of course, if there's any snow within 100 miles of Albuquerque, it will be falling at Moriarty or Clines Corner.

They've changed our former "winter storm watch" to a "blizzard watch". I just checked the antifreeze in the cars and tractors and parked them all in the barn. I think we are ready.
We've got two trailers parked in front of the barn in Perryton.
Figure that'll be enough to keep the dairy tanks from spilling over before any of us are able to get back there in any particular shape.
That and the next load isn't due to come off until Saturday night/early Sunday AM when the worst of the garbage starts dropping from the sky.

I already told dispatch that I'll be sitting out the storm at the flat and heading back out on Monday when the worst of it is over.
And if my front door is covered and the streets are impassable, then it's sealed!!

Old 12-28-2015, 07:13 PM

Well, looks like they did end up closing the US60 between Texico and Hereford.
First time I've seen that done.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:20 PM

2,324 posts, read 3,931,884 times
Just saw a post on Raiderpower.com from someone who drove from Lubbock to Houston in 9.5 hours today, which is encouraging as far as getting back to normal is concerned. He/she went on 84 to I-20, over to I-45. Edit: might need a 4-wheel drive to get to the loop or freeways.

Don't know about the Clovis area, which I think was even harder-hit than Lubbock, if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited by shoe01; 12-29-2015 at 12:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas