Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 07:39 AM

53 posts, read 77,151 times

Advertisements

Open carry: What you need to know

Happy 2016!

Last edited by parrotheadtexan; 01-01-2016 at 08:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 12:38 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,763,235 times
Oh good, now I can more easily identify morons, nutbags, and other crazy people.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:27 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,549 times
I just came!!

Old 01-01-2016, 03:00 PM

5,829 posts, read 4,168,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Oh good, now I can more easily identify morons, nutbags, and other crazy people.
+1

It's a new policy that will probably have zero effect on anything, other than publicly outing a bunch of paranoid folks who are about to look like idiots.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:01 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,980,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Good luck with that.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:07 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
My husband said wearing your open-carry visibly just makes you a target for anyone who wants to be a shooter in public...
Take out the visible enemy initially...then move on to others who aren't a threat..

OK--I deleted that last comment--

Old 01-01-2016, 03:16 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,552,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
My husband said wearing your open-carry visibly just makes you a target for anyone who wants to be a shooter in public...
Take out the visible enemy initially...then move on to others who aren't a threat..

OK--I deleted that last comment--
I would agree. I don't see how open carry would make anybody more secure. If you want to open carry as a fashion statement, by all means. But if it's legitimately to kill somebody before they kill you...I don't see the sense.

Old 01-01-2016, 04:45 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,461,659 times
The only positive I see, is maybe deterring someone who is considering committing a crime. Maybe if they see people around open carrying, they will think twice about following through. However, I'll continue to conceal as I don't like opening myself up as a first target.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:18 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,255,806 times
I don't live in Texas, but I'm just really curious. If you do, don't you worry that terrorists can now also walk around with a weapon out?

Old 01-01-2016, 05:33 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,829,201 times
Most states, including my home state of Oregon and Washington (where I live) have allowed open carry for a long time. I don't even know why this is such big news or anything. The fact that people are exposing their gun and not concealing it, is not suddely going to make them go insane and start shooting people. When will liberal, naive morons finally realize that criminals are not scared by gun laws? Open carry has been legal in Washington for years, how many legal open carriers have engaged in gun battles for just the fun of it in the last 15 years here? Oh, I love the idiots who say it will cause more accidents. Cell phones and cars will cause a 1000 times more accidents than people open carrying guns.

Open carry means that more criminals are going to see that people are armed and ready to defend themselves against an attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I will partially agree with your husband. Open carry will actually deter more shooters than it will encourage, because bad people are aware that they will be met with armed resistance. This is one reason why police open carry and do not conceal carry. It also means they have easier access to their weapon. However, your husband is right that open carrying does eliminate the eliminate of surprise which can be quite an advantage in a defensive scenario.

However, I think a good mix of open and conceal carriers is what we need. Most bad guys, for the most part, believe everyone around them is disarmed. That is why a majority of the shootings we see are in Gun Free Zones, since they know they will be met with the least resistance and cause the most carnage. By these bad guys seeing armed people around, they will become paranoid and probably also realize that not everyone carrying a weapon will have it visible.

If you see a plain clothes cop next to two armed uniform police officers, the plain clothes cop will seem even more intimidating, because you know this guy has a gun handy and don't know where it is. This is the message we send to bad guys in a society where people are legally carrying weapons with them, both openly and concealed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas