Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 12:30 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,205 times

Advertisements

Gee I come back to the thread and it's 5 pages in LOL!

All I had to ask was what I did because my uncle in McKinney had gone on about how things were rough out there right now.

For a while I did put SERIOUS thought into moving to Texas, and if the Mississippi thing doesn't work Texas would be my second choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 12:34 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Quote:
To me, Dallas is more like Orange County and Houston is more like LA
That's funny, the level of development I saw in Houston with it's trendy new shops and luxury boutiques reminded most of Orange County. When I go out to Orange County it reminds me a lot of Texas, especially out in the Woodlands and Sugar Land. The level of luxury never really goes past that though which is good and bad. The city seems to stay very much middle to upper middle class in catering to it's moneyed classes. That's good because nothing ever seemed too far out of reach which I liked but then I thought that LA has really spoiled me to think "is this it", "is that the most one can aspire to". That's not a slight against Houston or Dallas because I am sure I'm no tech wiz that can make millions but it did feel as though the cities main focus it toward the professional families. The higher ups here might as well live in outer space it feels that hard to attain the best of what the city has to offer.

That to me is the true test of a city's robust economy. Can the average professional really enjoy all that the city has to offer and not feel like something is so far out of reach it might was be in outer space.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:03 PM

But I didn't intend for this thread to turn into a Dallas v. Houston thread.

I prefer Dallas by the way.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
But I didn't intend for this thread to turn into a Dallas v. Houston thread.

I prefer Dallas by the way.
It's really more of which city has the best economy. I just wanted to know why someone would prefer Dallas?

Why do you prefer it?

Old 01-21-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
It's really more of which city has the best economy. I just wanted to know why someone would prefer Dallas?

Why do you prefer it?
Prejudice really.

I have family in the Metroplex. BUT, I wouldn't want to live in Dallas county, and would rather be in rural area within driving distance.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:27 PM

Back to th economy, Texas seems to be stung and the economy has taken a hit but is the miracle over? Still compared to the rest of the country is it still going strong?

Old 01-21-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Back to th economy, Texas seems to be stung and the economy has taken a hit but is the miracle over? Still compared to the rest of the country is it still going strong?
That's what I've been wanting to know.

Old 01-21-2016, 03:42 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,346,276 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
That's what I've been wanting to know.
See below.

Quote:
Richard Fisher, the retired President of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas and one of the most respected economists in the state, told students at Trinity University that predictions of a 'Texas recession' in 2015 due to lower oil prices failed to materialize, and the Texas economy will remain strong in 2016, even if oil prices fall lower, News Radio 1200 WOAI reports

Read more: Former Fed Boss Fisher: Texas Economy is Strong, Will Remain Strong | News Radio 1200 WOAI

Old 01-21-2016, 04:14 PM

Snap! Texas still going strong. Amazing state. Not even record oil dips can sink it.

Seriously what other state can rep four major cities with strong diversified economies, low cost of living, big city amenities and continued development. You could live cheaper in OK or Idaho but to have the best of both worlds; major cities/low costs is very rare.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:41 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,925,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Oil bust. But that doesn't mean you can't find a job in Texas since the state has a robust economy, just means that getting a job in the O/G industry is going to be tough.
Not for long. It'll be cooling off in a big way this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas