Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2016, 07:31 PM

8 posts, read 5,672 times

Advertisements

I have always wanted to move to Texas since I was in middle school, I said want land in my backyard a southern man and hospitality (there's almost none in cali)..

To keep it short I am 23 mother of 2 toddlers.. in college. I will be 27 when I finish my BA in psychology I want to be a Licensed Clinical Social worker I will start my masters after I make my move..

How are the jobs out there in that field ? Is there a certain city I might make more money in?

What areas have the best school for athletic kids they will be about 5th 6th grade or going to middle school when I make my move

I also want the city to have things for my kids to do because if they hate texas I WILL move back to cali
I want an exciting city with restaurants , amusement parks, movies malls ect... all the things we would have in sacramento or the bay area in CA

I grew up in a upper middle class family I have always lived in nice homes I plan on providing that for my children who will be pre teen when I make my move .. I would like to live somewhere in Texas that is very diverse , where I will see people that look like me (African American) ..being that I have always lived in a nicer area I never really seen other kids that look like me to play with when I went outside an I was uncomfortable at school I don't want that for my children I want them to play with kids of other races an also have friends a meet other upper middle class family's of our own race in our neighborhood and at school

I heard that Houston is more for the young crowd even though I am young I want to settle down when I move to Texas and have a nice family so I don't know if Houston is a good place for us I heard Dallas is better to raise a family .. so far the places I've goggled are Sugar Land , Missouri City, Cedar Hill Lancaster ...what exactly is fort worth? I've heard that a lot

What are your opinions on the two or any city in Texas
that has what im looking for I want personal answers its better than looking at a chart thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 07:53 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Houston is one of the most diverse cities in the country, much more so than the Bay Area. I would rather live in Houston than Sacramento. You'll be fine as far as things to do. Live in Sugar Land, Missouri City or the Woodlands which is the nicest hottest master planned community in the country right now.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:59 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Texas is a very low social services state. As a result you will find fewer jobs in social services areas, lower pay and funding as well as frustrating working conditions.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:12 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,050,580 times
You said dallas over houston but named houston suburbs mixed with dallas area ones. I dont know if you were lumping them together or think sugar land is in dallas.

As a LCSW who left and is back in engineering... you wont have a middle class lifestyle as a single mom with that salary unless you strike job gold which is rare. The best jobs at least in houston for social work are medical related jobs where prior medical experience is preferred and fluent spanish speaking is required. My bet other cities will be similar

Houston and dallas are so similar someone cannot say one is better than the other for families.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:22 PM

8 posts, read 5,672 times
Yes im aware Some are in Houston some dallas , just naming all the ones I heard of together

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
You said dallas over houston but named houston suburbs mixed with dallas area ones. I dont know if you were lumping them together or think sugar land is in dallas.

Wow that's very disappointing , I knew the pay wasn't as good as cali but I didn't think it would be to much lower

As a LCSW who left and is back in engineering... you wont have a middle class lifestyle as a single mom with that salary unless you strike job gold which is rare. The best jobs at least in houston for social work are medical related jobs where prior medical experience is preferred and fluent spanish speaking is required. My bet other cities will be similar

Houston and dallas are so similar someone cannot say one is better than the other for families.
Thanks for your response

Old 01-23-2016, 06:00 AM

189 posts, read 418,135 times
If you have the salary to get into a decent area, you have lots of options. Suburbs in the larger cities (Houston, Dallas/Fort Worth, San Antonio). Or mid-sized towns (Tyler, Waco).

I think you have to start looking at where the jobs are, salary etc. Maybe a trip to see some areas?

Old 01-24-2016, 07:44 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times
The major cities in Texas have less of that Southern gentleman thing going on. I live in Dallas and Dallas could pretty much be anywhere. Dallas has a fair amount of a Los Angeles feel to it. Dallas has received a lot of transplants U.S. states other than Texas and that's contributed to a culture change here. Houston and Austin would be similar in the sense of getting a lot of transplants from elsewhere in the U.S.

Then, also consider that there have been a big influx of international transplants.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:23 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
I felt Austin and the surrounding towns were super "Texan" in regard to culture. Where I saw the most drastic change was Houston. It just felt like a big city that could've been anywhere in the country. It almost felt East Coast for some reason. If Dallas reminded you of LA, Houston is more and more reminding me of an East Coast city. I walked around Hermen Park and felt a little as though I were in DC, NYC, etc. The museum, Herman Park, Rice area is where I felt as though Houston was really burgeoning on world class.

Old 01-24-2016, 06:04 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,442,779 times
In psychology, look at private practice as a licensed psychologist. Far better income potential than with the state. Now, some of the hospitals employ in this position. From what you are looking for, look at Tyler, Longview, etc. lower cost of living, friendlier. Grew up UN East Texas, much more 'Texan' than Dallas or Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas