Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 11:51 PM

5 posts, read 12,176 times

Advertisements

I apologize beforehand - as someone who has always worked in the private sector AND not in the state of Texas, I have a lot of questions about the state pension plan.

My fiance and I are planning to move to Dallas near the end of this year. He is currently a police officer working in Houston and on the pension plan, obviously. If he relocates from Houston to Dallas, are there any repercussions on his pension plan contributions? Does he amount that he gets put in every paycheck change (e.g. does it decrease back to an "entry level" or "starting stage" contribution?) Does he lose any of the money?

I know it's a specific question, but I was definitely curious. I will also be starting a state job in Dallas so it would be great to hear about the pension plan at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 08:06 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,770,875 times
Only the entity managing the pension can answer your questions.

Discuss this with them.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:21 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Yes, pensions can have a lot of complicated and rigid rules. Be super certain you understand all of the implications before making such a career decision. Your fiance should schedule a meeting with a benefits expert in his HR department.

I know how Texas teaching pensions work. In the case of teachers you lose nothing be transferring from one school system to another within the state of Texas because it is a state-wide pension system not a individual district pension. But I know nothing of how police pensions work and whether they are state-based or managed locally by each separate police jurisdiction.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:14 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Yes, pensions can have a lot of complicated and rigid rules. Be super certain you understand all of the implications before making such a career decision. Your fiance should schedule a meeting with a benefits expert in his HR department.

I know how Texas teaching pensions work. In the case of teachers you lose nothing be transferring from one school system to another within the state of Texas because it is a state-wide pension system not a individual district pension. But I know nothing of how police pensions work and whether they are state-based or managed locally by each separate police jurisdiction.
Somewhat off-topic, but - a few districts have teachers pay into Social Security, while most don't, so there is some potential impacts by changing districts.

To the OP - by all means, talk to HR and get specifics.

http://www.atpe.org/en/Advocacy/Issu...Participate-in

https://www.austinisd.org/legislature/social-security

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 01-26-2016 at 11:35 AM..

Old 01-26-2016, 12:13 PM

738 posts, read 764,262 times
My recollection is that both Houston and Dallas have their own municipal police pension systems. The state system is actually a collection of city's systems and if I recall correctly San Antonio and Corpus are the two largest in that system. No matter what he should talk to the administrators of both to see what happens because it may be there is no portability and he functionally would have two pensions but not get good benefits from either. Houston's pension has been dramatically underfunded by the city over the years compared to other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas