Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 03:15 PM

954 posts, read 1,549,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
To answer the OP questions perfectly, Waco and the surrounding counties, especially to the near west of the city. And tornadoes are rare west of Interstate 35, but most of Texas east of a line east of the Pecos River are within a chance of tornadoes and/or hurricanes...
What do you mean tornadoes are rare"west" of I-35 ? Most of the state of Texas is west of I-35. But West Texas, the Texas Panhandle, and North Texas have tornadoes every year and sometimes they have the really big bad ones. Don't misunderstand: there's no such thing as a benign tornado, but the really big, bad ones and most powerful are basically non survivable if one sustains a direct hit unless they are underground in a structure like a storm seller.
On the other hand those areas don't have hurricanes unless it's the residual of a land-falling hurricane on the Texas Gulf Coast. But the Coast areas like Houston and Corpus Christi have hurricanes and lots of humidity. See unlike the California coast which has a prevailing land breeze, the Texas coast has a prevailing sea breeze which pushes the moisture laden air onto the coast areas and on to other points up north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 07:02 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,906,520 times
Yeah, I should have edited my post better, sorry; hit the "Post" button too quickly. Tornados are rare west of "Far West Texas", but there is a steady increase in chance of twisters as you move east-- need that humidity.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:02 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
And speaking of tornadoes, I've experienced probably 5 or 6 over the years, and by "experienced" I mean had to take shelter as limbs and lumber and God knows what else started flying through the air.

Ironically, I've had very little property damage and never enough to even file an insurance claim, though the entire roof was lifted off the military housing I was in at Fort Hood one time (and set right back down too - weird). I do love big Texas storms though - I guess I get a rush out of them or something. But I know when the sky turns that greenish color, I better herd the dogs and cat and any visiting grandkids into the closet under the stairs!

My point is that lots of people are really scared of tornadoes - and they are a unique sort of experience - but the odds of actually having significant damage, let alone injury or catastrophe, are very very minute. You're in a lot more danger driving to and from work or school each day.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:47 PM

200 posts, read 447,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And speaking of tornadoes, I've experienced probably 5 or 6 over the years, and by "experienced" I mean had to take shelter as limbs and lumber and God knows what else started flying through the air.

Ironically, I've had very little property damage and never enough to even file an insurance claim, though the entire roof was lifted off the military housing I was in at Fort Hood one time (and set right back down too - weird). I do love big Texas storms though - I guess I get a rush out of them or something. But I know when the sky turns that greenish color, I better herd the dogs and cat and any visiting grandkids into the closet under the stairs!

My point is that lots of people are really scared of tornadoes - and they are a unique sort of experience - but the odds of actually having significant damage, let alone injury or catastrophe, are very very minute. You're in a lot more danger driving to and from work or school each day.
My theory is that when Tornados are in the realm of "normal" There's more planning, support and infrastructure to "handle it". Be that in terms of shelter, or where and how things are built, or with homeowners insurance.

It's when a tornado hits where and when no one expects it, that I think its the most dangerous. Years back here in Az with that oddball twister; our community lost a couple houses. There was nowhere really to get good shelter from it. It was pretty bizarre.

As far as regional phobias and hazards go, I'm really more frightened about snakes-- but I know a lot of ways to mitigate them. We have rattlers where I live now but I almost never see them because I make my property unattractive for them. So I'm not really terribly worried about that either.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusky_beauty View Post
My theory is that when Tornados are in the realm of "normal" There's more planning, support and infrastructure to "handle it". Be that in terms of shelter, or where and how things are built, or with homeowners insurance.

It's when a tornado hits where and when no one expects it, that I think its the most dangerous. Years back here in Az with that oddball twister; our community lost a couple houses. There was nowhere really to get good shelter from it. It was pretty bizarre.

As far as regional phobias and hazards go, I'm really more frightened about snakes-- but I know a lot of ways to mitigate them. We have rattlers where I live now but I almost never see them because I make my property unattractive for them. So I'm not really terribly worried about that either.
I know what you mean.

I guess random death and destruction are always around us in some form or fashion.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:44 AM

802 posts, read 984,096 times
The general idea of Texas is to embrace all of its wild, wacky, extremes. The topography, flora, and fauna,
and, yes, people, range from benign to fierce and occasionally, inspirational. Study up on it, then come and
live it, gradually becoming Texian at heart and in spirit and body. Prepare for varmits and critters, especially in the country. Keep a first-aid kit handy. Learn their ways. Dress for the weather and surroundings, not for the fashion. Get out into the humidity and learn to sweat, but learn also how to cool off with water and breeze. Prepare for winter ice, too. Then celebrate the first norther in the fall, the rare snowfall, the spring flowers, and the song of the mesquite trees. Watch out for your neighbors and hope they return the favor. When the summer gets unbearable, make a run to New Mexico for relief. It is palpable as soon as you cross the state line. Rest up, then return to home. Hope that the dry line comes with you.

Last edited by highplainsrus; 03-26-2016 at 09:00 AM..

Old 03-27-2016, 09:16 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times
Here are two links you might find useful regarding tornadoes in Texas from 1950 to 2012. After living here for about 20 years, I finally had a one-pour cement storm cellar put in and it surely helps with the peace of mind.

Texas Tornadoes
http://www.tornadoproject.com/alltorns/txtorn1.htm

As far as the humidity goes, it's pretty bad. I've lived in Texas now (65 miles south of Fort Worth) for nearly 38 years moving from southern California but, I must say that as I get older, it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. Now, when I'm doing lots of physical work outside, it nearly kills me, but I am 67 years old. Truth be told thought, it nearly killed me 38 years ago, too. You kind of have to plan your day for physical activities. Actually, the mornings are miserable because it's so humid (I'm talking about the summer months), the grass is soaking wet, the temperature is about 78, and I can only last from about 6:30 a.m. until 10:30 a.m., sometimes longer. Then, around 6:30 p.m., I can begin again, but it's very hot and, of course, can easily be over 100 degrees or without a doubt, in the 90s. The humidity is lower then, but still way too high and the dew point is almost always at a very oppressive degree during the summer months.

I've been considering a move for years now and still am. I will wait until I retire, though. Too bad I'm still working at 67, but it is what it is. And, I'm considering your neck of the woods. I would go back to my hometown in CA if I could afford the real estate, but that's impossible. So, missing the mountains as I do, I'm looking at AZ. I miss the beach like crazy, but I'm pretty sure there's no ocean-front property in AZ. I know I would miss the Texas rain, but there's so much I won't miss about this state. Of course, I probably will stay here until my dying day, but one can dream and who knows what tomorrow might bring? ID was on my list at one time but the older I get, the colder I get, so I've pretty much given up on a really cold area.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:57 PM

286 posts, read 569,666 times
It's all in how you acclimatize. People live in hotter and more humid climates than Texas. It's not impossible.
Yeah, don't over-exert yourself during the hottest part of the day, but even then we aren't talking about Death Valley. I can mow my yard in July in the afternoon at the age of 35. I drive a Jeep with the top down and no A/C most of the year. You just get used to being sweaty.
People with health problems will have a tougher time of it.

You will want a dehumidifier for the house though, unless you're not worried about mold.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:52 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,400 times
Hey, I'm an Arizonan moving to Texas, too...just in a way different area (Harlingen) Have fun!

Old 04-01-2016, 07:16 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Yeah, I should have edited my post better, sorry; hit the "Post" button too quickly. Tornados are rare west of "Far West Texas", but there is a steady increase in chance of twisters as you move east-- need that humidity.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas