Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 03:06 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times

Advertisements

My God, Texas already has three of the ten largest cities in the US. What do you mean, we need "more metropolitan areas"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 05:39 PM

387 posts, read 511,666 times
I actually agree with OP. We need to size Houston up to a Mega-o-polis city and then focus on merging San Antonio sprawl with Austin's. Next we focus on more coastal metros to eventually rival those of California's one day.

South Padre is the next San Diego.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:13 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Buildings View Post
I actually agree with OP. We need to size Houston up to a Mega-o-polis city and then focus on merging San Antonio sprawl with Austin's. Next we focus on more coastal metros to eventually rival those of California's one day.

South Padre is the next San Diego.

South Padre is the next San Diego? Say what, there is hardly anyone on South Padre now. Where is that growth to come from and is that over the next three hundred years. I think I must be missing something here, seriously?

The first part about Houston and S.A. and Austin, if the world holds together long enough then, someday on that one, maybe.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:48 PM

730 posts, read 774,574 times
San Diego is what is because of its climate. South Padre doesn't have a favorable climate but does have hurricane issues and months of 85+ degree weather. San Diego is within a couple hours of LA. South Padre is 5 hours or more from Houston and San Antonio. With climate change South Padre won't be in island in 50 years.

As for shipping and another port-

The Houston ship channel is huge and largely a protected area from hurricanes.

The waters off Texas are fairly shallow and there is cut dredged to 45ft for 30+ miles off the coast for shipping in and out of Houston. The new canal across Central America is going to allow for ships with a much deep draft(ship below the waterline) and Houston as already started the process of dredging to cut deep enough for those ships.

Houston has I-10 and I-45 and I-69 running through it for trucking goods whereas Corpus would add an addition 200-250 miles of road transportation needed for any goods going north of Houston.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:27 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,034,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
What about Waco/Temple/Killeen? Could that one day be a CSA? If it was, the population would be around 715k.
South Killeen is growing crazy fast now. Its slowly growing towards Austin. Killeen is leaning more towards Austin than Waco.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:36 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Buildings View Post
I actually agree with OP. We need to size Houston up to a Mega-o-polis city and then focus on merging San Antonio sprawl with Austin's.
Why not just collapse everything along the I-35 corridor into the Houston area instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
My God, Texas already has three of the ten largest cities in the US. What do you mean, we need "more metropolitan areas"?
Spread out the population so it doesn't get too crowded in this state. But there is a tradeoff of making business difficult to conduct with a spread-out population instead of consolidating into one (or a few) major city. Why do you think everyone in The Philippines lives in Manila?

Old 04-22-2016, 11:41 PM

16 posts, read 16,532 times
Texas has plenty of huge cities as it is, but just to add my two cents...

I definitely can envision Austin/San Antonio becoming more like Ft. Worth/Dallas as urban creep industrializes the I-35 corridor. Aside from that, I only see the growth of Houston and DFW. The idea of creating new big cities, or investing in old ones, is absolutely pointless, and folly to boot. The free market creates cities and enables them to grow. By no means am I wedded to free market orthodoxy, but planned cities? I feel like the overwhelming evidence of history points to organic growth.

Unless new resources are discovered, future urban growth is likely to expand from already urbanized areas rather than new foundations (or from formerly suburban or small urban areas). Just like the US economy, the rich get richer. Houston and DFW will continue to grow while cities like Amarillo and Brownsville stagnate. In the last few decades, the Dallas urban area expanded north from Richardson to Plano and now to McKinney. How long till it reaches Sherman/Denison and the Okie border?

As for port facilities, Texas certainly isn't lacking. Houston and Corpus provide excellent water access, and the Golden Triangle (where I'm currently living) is tremendously underrated with regard to economic activity in Texas. The problem is that the island buffers that insulate Texas from the Gulf means that actual natural harbors are hard to come by in Texas and most require significant funding. I'm actually designing a lesson about how the Golden Triangle became a shipping hub, and in it's natural state Sabine Pass couldn't handle ships beyond an 8 foot draft. Sabine Pass and Aransas Pass (Corpus) basically had to beg the US government for funding to dredge in the 1890s.

I'm rambling, but Texas is plenty big. I don't understand why we would need more large cities. We're already the 2nd most populous state, and our economy is larger than numerous nations.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:02 AM

730 posts, read 774,574 times
Availability of water is another limiting factor for there to be any other big city in Texas.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:08 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,334 times
DisraeliGears got me thinking. What if the capital of Texas was moved to a secondary city? After all, Austin has "grown up" and is a large city in its own right. I'm sure if the capital was moved to, say, Amarillo or Lubbock (random examples), the city will grow quicker and have a better chance of eventually reaching a million residents.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:02 PM

958 posts, read 2,132,342 times
More and more californians are moving to Texas every year. They seem hell bent to make Texas more like California so, lets just make the capital Sacramento now and avoid the rush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas