Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 12:54 PM

1,822 posts, read 1,985,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Garcia View Post
I know this will rub most Texans the wrong way but I would be in favor of paying a small income tax (.5-2%) if it meant driving on smooth leveled roads and improving the overall infrastructure...
You REALLY don't want to go there. I moved from TX to a state that has an income tax. There's no sign of any of that money going anywhere towards infrastructure, whether improvement/maintenance or even widening roads. The place seems in the dark ages as to roadwork. Besides that, an income tax is a nasty thing to have. I'm personally sick of the money that I lose every year to that. Annual registration of my vehicle is insane too. I'm staring at a renewal form to the tune of $219.01 for my truck, and that doesn't include emissions testing. I remember it being something like $70 last time when in TX. No, be very thankful for the way things are in TX.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 04-27-2016 at 01:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 02:47 PM

554 posts, read 741,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flylettuce View Post
Yes, they are supposed to, but they don't. One person told me quote: I ain't getting a front plate.
This is an unrealistic statement. Once again, if you want to live in any state you should assimilate.
... I "Rep'd" you based on that statement, alone! ... Thanks for saying it!

Old 04-27-2016, 05:43 PM

59 posts, read 45,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Garcia View Post
Maybe some don't like the dull look of the Texas plate and don't wish to pay extra for the already expensive specialty plate.

52.75 (base fee) + whatever fee your county may add + sales tax which could be up to $90 (or the difference between your previous state's sales tax and the Texas sales tax) is pretty costly compared to other states.

I know this will rub most Texans the wrong way but I would be in favor of paying a small income tax (.5-2%) if it meant driving on smooth leveled roads and improving the overall infrastructure of TX roads. The only time I get to experience such smoothness is when I’m on the toll roads. And half of those aren’t up to par.

If your car is that bad that you need a fancy plate then get a nicer car. For the most part, DFW, Austin, Houston, and San Antonio have good roads. I've lived in Michigan where there's a state income tax and the roads are horrible. I believe vanity would have to be the worst reason to not get new plates. Also, in comparison to many other states Texas registration is dirt cheap. I have a nice car and that black on white plate looks great and I am happy to pay my $75 per year to have good roads even here in Granbury.
What annoys me the most are the people that drive around with out of state plates that expired years ago. I believe those people should be fined the maximum when they finally get caught.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchard View Post
... I "Rep'd" you based on that statement, alone! ... Thanks for saying it!
Thanks. I don't often come up with good quips but THAT was a good (and honest) one.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:57 PM

1,956 posts, read 921,111 times
My opinion is when moving to a new state, it is a decision you choose to make. Yes, choose. Stating, I have to because of my job, etc. is still a choice. Thus, one should conform to the laws and obtain a driver's license and license plate(s). It is also the law. The police also can legally impound out-of-state vehicles whose registrations expire. Keep that in mind for those to refuse to register.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:36 PM

62 posts, read 83,110 times
Because not everybody loves paying more of their hard-earned money to a wasteful government. Between all the various taxes you are already paying almost 50% of your income. I applaud anybody who can find ways to keep more of their own money at the expense of an already bloated government. I will continue to put off registering my car for as long as possible.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:32 PM

Oops. My bad. I gotta learn the rules.

To the above statement, it's not the government you are cheating, it's the rest of us that actually pay the bills. It's the governments job to decide how the money is spent. If thousands of transplants refuse to register their vehicles here the citizens have to make up the difference by way of increased taxes. It's not a conspiracy. It's just the way things actually are. If you don't like the government it's better for everyone to find another way to let them know how you feel. Texas truly is one of the best places to live as far as taxes and amenaties.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:37 AM

1,956 posts, read 921,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinjj1 View Post
Because not everybody loves paying more of their hard-earned money to a wasteful government. Between all the various taxes you are already paying almost 50% of your income. I applaud anybody who can find ways to keep more of their own money at the expense of an already bloated government. I will continue to put off registering my car for as long as possible.
Are the consequences really worth it? You would easily pay more in fines/penalties/impounding than if you were obedient in registering. Take some time to think about it.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:12 AM

15,242 posts, read 35,458,827 times
It is really a non-issue to me. Eventually, you will get pulled over for something (maybe even for not having a front plate), and you will get a ticket. That will cost you some time and money, but quite possibly not enough to make you get it done ahead of time. Personally, I can't find a good reason to care very much, it isn't like the state is losing out on a ton of money and at some point they will get some of it back in a ticket.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:34 AM

For those of you who haven't changed registration, is your insurance still out of state? It would seem silly if it were. Texas has pretty good rates compared to no fault states and places like California. Not the best by far but still better many of the transplants former states.
It just seems like a defiance or people just holding on to what they left behind or just being cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas