Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 07:49 PM

387 posts, read 511,797 times

Advertisements

I would say Houston's sprawl gives it a distinct advantage when giving neighborhoods character. It's not like Manhattan where you can easily get to know it in one full day. Houston you have to live here to understand, it takes time to really explore each main street and major intersection.

Then you have the suburbs Sugar Land and The Woodlands which are entirely different worlds of their own within an already big metro. Texas suburbs arent your typical burbs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 09:02 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,807 times
Yes, let's compare every burgeoning 20th century city to 400 year old New York City...that's brilliant

Old 05-15-2016, 12:27 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,706,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFan56 View Post
In my opinion, Texas is like the Walmart of the united states. It's cheap and sometimes you gotta settle for cheap, even though it's not as sophisticated as New York.
I just moved to DFW and really like it here, but you're kind of right (at least about the bigger cities in Texas). This area seems to lack authenticity. Everything feels so commercialized and it's just one big box store after another. I think it's because most of the growth occurred in the past few decades.

When I first moved here, I didn't even feel like I was in Texas. You could drop a stranger off in DFW and they probably wouldn't be able to guess which state they were in.

I'm sure people will attack me. But when you visit places like New Orleans, Boston, Santa Fe, Savannah, you'll see the authenticity I'm talking about.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:57 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,005,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I just moved to DFW and really like it here, but you're kind of right (at least about the bigger cities in Texas). This area seems to lack authenticity. Everything feels so commercialized and it's just one big box store after another. I think it's because most of the growth occurred in the past few decades.

When I first moved here, I didn't even feel like I was in Texas. You could drop a stranger off in DFW and they probably wouldn't be able to guess which state they were in.

I'm sure people will attack me. But when you visit places like New Orleans, Boston, Santa Fe, Savannah, you'll see the authenticity I'm talking about.
Because those are old cities with a lot of history behind them. San Antonio would probably be the only Texas city that is historically preserved and was mentioned by Mark Twain as being one of four only truly unique cities in the country along with Boston, New Orleans and San Francisco. I would've added DC in there too.

Texas cities are very young and were built for practicality. They weren't designed for the specific tastes of the urban enthusiasts. The new development is an experiment in ultimate practical living for the professional families that work in the big cities. Nothing wrong with that. But most Americans would choose practical over the style of a city's design.

I used to think like you when I was younger but have come to find out now as an older guy that stuff is great for tourism and to preserve existing historical cities like NOLA, but for newer cities what are they supposed to do? Build replicas of older towns like they do in China? No seriously that's what they're doing over there is building replicas of old English towns and European landmarks. It's weird and makes the country look silly because they're just giving people the ammo to joke about how they're a country of knockoffs.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:11 PM

lepoisson, You said you live in Dallas, no? I'm looking up vids of Dallas and it looks pretty nice and upscale, especially in the uptown and downtown areas. It's not tacky commercialized either, it looks nice sort of a Texan style Beverly Hills thing going on. By the way you make it sound I assumed it was all tacky box stores and shopping centers.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:07 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,913 times
I never found any part of Dallas tacky. Maybe boring or suburban, in a few parts of the city, but nothing ever screamed tacky.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I never found any part of Dallas tacky. Maybe boring or suburban, in a few parts of the city, but nothing ever screamed tacky.
Urbanite snobs think anything that's not NYC or SF is tacky. From the pics that I saw, Dallas is very clean, pretty and upscale. It's up there along with Austin and Fr. Worth as prettiest Texas city.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:47 PM

151 posts, read 193,796 times
The two things that bother me the most is the heat and the drivers.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:53 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,620,272 times
Unhappy people complain.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:20 PM

175 posts, read 226,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Houston is a prime target, too. To them, Houston is a dirty infested swamp where the summer temperatures are comparable to the surface of Venus.
But Houston is a dirty infested swamp where the summer temperatures are comparable to the surface of Venus. Which is why I moved somewhere else in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas