Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 09:44 AM

3 posts, read 6,390 times

Advertisements

Has anyone lived or visited these areas recently? I have read some older threads but would like a current perspective.

TIA,
Claren
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 11:12 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarendon4 View Post
Has anyone lived or visited these areas recently? I have read some older threads but would like a current perspective.

TIA,
Claren

Huntsville, larger more than twice the size, fairly large college, now, far more pines, more vegetation, short drive to burbs of Houston or to Houston for that matter, lakes nearby, growing town. Far better job prospects than Palestine.

Palestine, slowly losing population, few to no pines, large oaks, less "treed" in general. Most or the more serious shopping is done in Tyler, about 35 - 40 minutes away. Great fishing on Lake Palestine. Housing costs, rent and buying should be less expensive.

You have a job or an in demand skill would be best for both places.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:31 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
I'm guessing you work for TDC since that is the major employer in both of those towns. Palestine's prisons are actually in the tiny town of Tennessee Colony on the northeast side of town. Lake Palestine is also not particularly close to town.

Personally, I would pick Huntsville between the two towns. At least it has a college, and there are decent shopping options besides WalMart.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:36 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
Huntsville is an hour to the Woodlands, where you can find anything. But it's far enough from the Woodlands that you won't experience the traffic. Also you have Sam Houston State, which is a small but comprehensive university. Even though it isn't far from aggieland, you will see a lot of people around Huntsville wearing bright orange shirts repping SHSU.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Huntsville is an hour to the Woodlands, where you can find anything. But it's far enough from the Woodlands that you won't experience the traffic. Also you have Sam Houston State, which is a small but comprehensive university. Even though it isn't far from aggieland, you will see a lot of people around Huntsville wearing bright orange shirts repping SHSU.

2015 Fall enrollment 20,107

Old 05-01-2016, 07:55 PM

3 posts, read 6,390 times
I appreciate all of you for taking the time to reply!

Old 05-02-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
2015 Fall enrollment 20,107
I went there last summer to meet a friend of mine who works at SHSU to inquire about working there. It's small (for a public university) to me, but I really liked the campus and Huntsville.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:23 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Currently sort of debating this. With potential job in Crockett.

Old 05-14-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I went there last summer to meet a friend of mine who works at SHSU to inquire about working there. It's small (for a public university) to me, but I really liked the campus and Huntsville.
Current article: Growth largely likely because of the relative short distance to the mega Houston Metro.

https://www.shsu.edu/today@sam/T@S/a...king-the-trend

Old 05-14-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Current article: Growth largely likely because of the relative short distance to the mega Houston Metro.

https://www.shsu.edu/today@sam/T@S/a...king-the-trend
Wow that is a lot of growth! And they are adding new programs. I sometimes regret not touring Sam straight out of high school. I like Huntsville a lot, but then again I am from a town about the same size. But unlike Huntsville, my hometown has turned into a pit.

I have never driven from Huntsville to Crockett. I've been to Crockett long ago. I would definitely prefer to live in Huntsville no doubt. It feels like an actual community and not a cookie cutter suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas