Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 09:08 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,378,461 times

Advertisements

KG's Cajun Kitchen in Harker Heights for cajun/creole food.
heard the new Indian restaurant near Hobby Lobby is very good-at least several docs i work with said so.
Alfredo's Mexican Restaurant in Lampasas/Kempner-also recommended by surgeons i work with
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 09:11 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,378,461 times
i feel VERY safe in Copperas Cove, though i live almost in Kempner-out in the country sorta kinda. and i am a country girl, used to living in towns with populations under 600 and riding my fourwheeler to the beer store, and never locking doors.
i prefer Gatesville, but couldnt find a rental quickly there. will be buying there this fall.
Copperas Cove PD is AWESOME. they left a letter in my mailbox warning me about my safety, cuz i had left my garage door open one night by accident. (oh and i dont live on any major thoroughfare-not a place where i thought PD even patrolled!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgie1 View Post
I have lived in Killeen since 2002...I work in property management and one employee I work with has been here since the 90's and that persons spouse works for the Killeen Police Dept...
Crime has spiked all over this area for the last 3-4 months...every town and neighborhood is getting car break ins, home break ins...In Copperas Cove, Killeen, Harker Heights and even on Ft Hood..(I have a friend on Ft Hood and her neighbors kid almost was abducted...but he escaped from the man that was trying to kid-nap him.

DEFINATELY donot live downtown...
I think the good areas are off of Stagecoach Rd(not too developed), Stillhouse Hollow Estates (Killeen and Harker Heights), near the airport area is nice...anywhere is else...isnt nice.
Stay South of the Expressway....

For grocery shopping stay away from the Killeen WalMart it is HORRIBLE!!!
Try Harker Heights HEB and WalMart or those two in Copperas Cove.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:35 PM

21 posts, read 150,076 times
Quote:
I have lived in Killeen since 2002...I work in property management and one employee I work with has been here since the 90's and that persons spouse works for the Killeen Police Dept...
Crime has spiked all over this area for the last 3-4 months...every town and neighborhood is getting car break ins, home break ins...In Copperas Cove, Killeen, Harker Heights and even on Ft Hood..(I have a friend on Ft Hood and her neighbors kid almost was abducted...but he escaped from the man that was trying to kid-nap him.

DEFINATELY donot live downtown...
I think the good areas are off of Stagecoach Rd(not too developed), Stillhouse Hollow Estates (Killeen and Harker Heights), near the airport area is nice...anywhere is else...isnt nice.
Stay South of the Expressway....

For grocery shopping stay away from the Killeen WalMart it is HORRIBLE!!!
Try Harker Heights HEB and WalMart or those two in Copperas Cove.
Thanks for the tips! Do you know any particular reason for the crime spike? That does not sound too reassuring. Do you know if the homes that were broken into had a big dog? What about the times of break-in? Was it during work hours? Did the cars that were broken into have any valuables visible from the windows? That is crazy that a kid was almost kidnapped! I'll be doing all my shopping in Copperas Cove! I guess I better get some guns asap.

Don't you have to be military to get into fort hood? Do they let just anyone in?

Old 02-20-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
There is a Barnes and Noble going up in Harker Heights to the east of Killeen.
Awesome! Thanks for the info.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
oh and a Cracker Barrel is opening up in HH soon too!
Cool, I like the meatloaf and cornbread.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Rositas downtown has excellant lunches that are affordable mexican.
El Taco Jalisco's is off of Rancier...near the east gate.
An italian place...Little Italy on Ft Hood St and then there is Pignetti's Italian Restaurant in the mall but they are a bit pricey for Killeena nd they have bands some nights and then there is Giovannis (they have one in Killeen and one is Copperas Cove.
For Coffee try Java Jo's on Stan Schlueter and there is a great place on Ft Hood street near the east gate called Java Jolt and in the summer they have fantastic snowcones (especially after working in the garden on a hot summer day!)

For Burgers....try Billy Bob's burgers off of Atkinson...which is off of WS Young right before you to Rancier Ave. Great Onion Rings!

For Country Food and great specials daily...
try Papa's Cafe in Harker Heights off of Knights Way on Millers Way..

Hope this HELPS!!!!
Very helpful! Thanks for the info, I will have to try out everyone of those places as I am not the best cook.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
KG's Cajun Kitchen in Harker Heights for cajun/creole food.
heard the new Indian restaurant near Hobby Lobby is very good-at least several docs i work with said so.
Alfredo's Mexican Restaurant in Lampasas/Kempner-also recommended by surgeons i work with
Being a cajun by birth I will have to visit that place. I have never eaten Indian food, hmmm... sounds like there are a lot of variety of food places to try. Thanks.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
riding my fourwheeler to the beer store
They wont pull you over for carrying beer on a fourwheeler will they? Sounds like a cool toy.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:44 PM

24 posts, read 85,282 times
When I was in the Army and stationed at Ft. Hood/Killeen I made the decision to just commute from Georgetown, Texas. Best decision I ever made. Commute is easy on HWY 195 and lifestyle is worlds apart...unless you love pawn shops.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:32 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Petrelli View Post
Thanks for the tips! Do you know any particular reason for the crime spike? That does not sound too reassuring. Do you know if the homes that were broken into had a big dog? What about the times of break-in? Was it during work hours? Did the cars that were broken into have any valuables visible from the windows? That is crazy that a kid was almost kidnapped! I'll be doing all my shopping in Copperas Cove! I guess I better get some guns asap.

Don't you have to be military to get into fort hood? Do they let just anyone in?
Fort Hood is the largest military post in the US. Every post throughout the states has their share of pawn shops & gas stations on every street corner. Fort Hood is no exception. Along with this comes riff raff & very specific areas of Killeen have those sorts.

There is a lot of stress in the military right now with frequent deployments & field problems. We had 2 suicides & 1 murder within 12 months in 2006 in my battalion among countless arrests for domestic battery & DUIs. Some former soldier got arrested after trying to get his groove on in the girls bathroom of an elementary school while school was in session. In the spring of 2006, a wacko was going around in class As to homes & knocking on doors of deployed soldiers telling them that their husband was killed in Iraq & would try to get into their homes. Too bad he went to a home & told this to a lady whose husband was not in Iraq.

There are a lot of single parent homes due to deployments & most are female. Those who want to cause trouble see this as the perfect opportunity.

You will find a lot of the riff raff are former soldiers who do not have the skills and/or mindset to make the right choices & continue to live a negative lifestyle. Their friends move in with them from wherever b/c rent is cheap, beer is a nightly thing & there are lots of vulnerable new female soldiers showing up to Hood every day. The Army is well known for signing up anyone who can breathe & say the alphabet & that has leads to hundreds of discharges due to every reason under the book. A lot of these people stay in the area.

That being said, I never felt unsafe & we lived in Killeen. We were just smart about where we went & when we went there. Crime can happen at any time anywhere and it does.

After you arrive in Killeen & are there for a few days, you will VERY quickly see the areas that are ok & those that are not. It is incredibly obvious. Most streets immediately off post are sketchy along with most of the area surrounding East Gate.

Use common sense & you'll be fine.

Fort Hood is open to civilians. All you have to do is get a visitors pass which is obtainable with a driver's license & registration. There is a shooting range along with a few museums open to the public.

When we were leaving there was mention of a Chipotles going up near Walmart in HH..of course, when we LEAVE that is going in

Good luck. It's an interesting place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas