Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 11:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
This area is generally considered to have the best weather in the country outside of California, but it is not being properly exploited. ...other ideas?
as in what Texans did to Colorado since the cattle drives and especially in the 1970-1990's. It's certainly properly exploited now... Texas style gated entries and No Trespassing signs, plenty of them now!

"What is the best way this area can be used for the benefit of Texas?
Annex Colorado and NM public lands for exclusive use by Texans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txman210 View Post
I'm going to revive this dead forum. After living in SoCal and loving the climate but being forced out by cost, I started looking for places with the most similar climates. I've lived the majority of my life in Texas. Summers have become too hot, even for me! However, I discovered what I call the ”Big Bend Triangle.” These are the cities of Marfa, Alpine, and Ft Davis. The climate is very favorable. Alpine has a level IV trauma center and a university. Ft Davis has the telescope, and Marfa has arts and culture. Others have stated water is a problem, however, the Edwards aquifer is only about 30-50 miles to the NE of Alpine. .... I think there's great potential. ....
Start a desalinzation station to reduce excess Ocean levels and ship the excess water to CO, NM, UT, AZ, NV and CA. Refill the Colorado River from it's headwaters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2022, 02:38 PM

12 posts, read 22,474 times
I went throught in 2014 in those towns, very beautiful. It's not necessary to build any city there, in that case, I'd consolidate cities like Laredo and Odessa-Midland.

Old 10-10-2022, 07:37 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Start a desalinzation station to reduce excess Ocean levels and ship the excess water to CO, NM, UT, AZ, NV and CA. Refill the Colorado River from it's headwaters.
How much money do you think is going to cost to pump water 100s of miles away up hill?

Old 10-11-2022, 08:55 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
How much money do you think is going to cost to pump water 100s of miles away up hill?
Water demand is the new oil.
Texas has plenty of dough from exploiting oil for over a century

The business offices and wealth can flow to Alpine and Ft Davis start-up companies. Only the wealthy will be able to afford to live there, in the only livable climate in Texas after the great warm-up.

Perfect fit for Texans.
Git ur 'ranch' / spread now!

Old 10-11-2022, 08:57 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times
If Texas really becomes unlivable due to the heat (which I highly doubt will happen in any of our lifetimes) I will be taken the first plane to Montana or Wyoming!

Old 10-12-2022, 06:07 AM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Unlivable I don’t think will happen. Humans are very resilient and can withstand extremes. Hostile though is another story.

I believe climate change does not happen in increments but each effect is exponential. If that is the case then it could happen fairly soon. We are already going to be in some trouble if we don’t get a fair amount of rain in the next few months.

Old 10-18-2022, 12:49 AM

689 posts, read 637,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
...Saudi Arabia has less than half the GDP of TX but manages to supply the majority of its water through desalination. A state with over $40 Billion in reserves should be a bit more willing to address fresh water shortcomings through more innovative solutions.
I agree with the need for desalination. I'm all for smart landscaping and other conservation measures but desalination offers benefits. Now how to pump that water far distances is another matter. Environmental groups have fought to block desalination but California (and other states) need new water sources soon. I wonder if TX has looked at it.

Old 10-18-2022, 01:52 AM

712 posts, read 393,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orl.avila View Post
I went throught in 2014 in those towns, very beautiful. It's not necessary to build any city there, in that case, I'd consolidate cities like Laredo and Odessa-Midland.
Midland and Odessa will never be consolidated and merged .It would cause a huge political firestorm if the local politicians were seriously considering it.

Old 08-29-2023, 08:17 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
How does that region have such a favorable climate anyway given its geography and location? Just not seeing how that is possible. It’s not near an ocean, very inland and seems to be in the desert.
The higher elevation parts (~4.5-7k ft) of southern TX, NM, and AZ do in fact have the most moderate and pleasant climate in the US, IMO... except for the southern CA coast. If you go closer to the equator, it gets even better. In Mexico City for instance, the average high varies from 72 in Jan, to 82 in Apr. In the US, the best you can do is ~30 degree swing from summer to winter. Towns in this zone would be Alpine, Ruidoso, Silver City, Bisbee-Sierra Vista. El Paso and Las Cruces can be included if you like it a bit hotter, but this last summer...

This is the City Data graph of average temperatures in Alpine.

Regarding water, residential use is a pittance compared to irrigation. Pretty much all of it has been mismanaged, which is why there is a perpetual "crisis". Better management of the resource would fix this.

I've noticed that isolated nice little towns tend to hit a critical mass when population in the vicinity reaches ~20k. Then it usually has enough services for a decent % of humanity to consider it viable. The problem is that the population quickly blows through that "sweet spot", prices go way up, traffic sucks, construction everywhere... etc. Some people seem to love that, though. There is certainly lots of money being made, but it is no longer affordable or peaceful.

Old 10-18-2023, 03:36 PM

1,943 posts, read 2,294,075 times
No not enough water
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas