Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 07:09 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I'm assuming that remark was in reference to the diversity. In that case they would be right.
Still not even close to being right. Totally different mindsets in Houston and NYC. And even then, it would be implying the only way to be Texan is to be rural and white, which is also untrue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 07:48 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Still not even close to being right. Totally different mindsets in Houston and NYC. And even then, it would be implying the only way to be Texan is to be rural and white, which is also untrue.
Not sure what you mean by mindsets, but when it comes to demographics, he's still right

Houston:
Hispanic 43.7%
White alone 25.8
Black alone 22.6
Asian 6.3

New York:
Hispanic 28.9%
White alone 32.6
Black alone 22.4
Asian 13.4

Texas:
Hispanic 37.6%
White alone 45.3
Black alone 11.8
Asian 3.8

Nearly 80% of everyone in Texas is either White or Mexican. Both Houston and New York are far more diverse, with large Black, Hispanic and Asian communities, as well as a much higher foreign born population.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:59 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,336,259 times
What difference does it make? Our descendants in the next century or two will all be a shade of brown.

Then what will everybody complain about? lol

Old 06-08-2016, 08:45 PM

10 posts, read 8,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Those would be the newcomers moving here. It wasn't that way 40-50 years ago.
Doubtful, Texas notoriously has bad drivers and a bunch of drunk drivers. Admitting that you have a problem is the first step to recovery.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:32 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,408,573 times
I lived in Dallas, Texas for 17 years. I have never seen a people more IN LOVE with their own state. I am convinced you could take them to Heaven itself, and they'd ask to go back to Texas.

A native Texan told me that in school, one of his teachers would often say . . . "Now class, (deep inhale of breath, deep exhale of breath) let's talk about TEXAS."

That, in a nutshell, sums up a Texan's love for Texas.

I never fit in. I never understood it. I always thought my moving away was a great favor to Texas because there's no room for doubt there. I imagine all the love in the air only strengthened after my departure.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantToShowSomething View Post
Doubtful, Texas notoriously has bad drivers and a bunch of drunk drivers. Admitting that you have a problem is the first step to recovery.
Not sure why you think this is so. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, Texas ranks about in the middle of the pack as far as per capita deaths involving auto accidents, with or without involving alcohol.

Fatality Facts

Old 06-10-2016, 06:23 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Originally Posted by ScoPro
Those would be the newcomers moving here. It wasn't that way 40-50 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantToShowSomething View Post
It's actually quite true. I watched it start happening about 35-40 years ago. "Drive friendly" was everywhere; people would let cars wanting to enter the road from a driveway in as a matter of course if there was stop and go traffic, most everyone was polite. I can remember the first time someone DIDN'T let a car in and how startling it was. Yep, NY plates. I started noticing it more and more - at the time, the major influx was from NY and Kansas. (My son was about 7 and played a game of how many different out of state plates he could find, so plates were something we looked at as a matter of course.

With each influx of people from other states (it came in waves for a while), the degradation of driving manners and ability got worse. Finally I realized it was all of these people from different places with different driving laws and customs coming here and instead of learning the driving laws and customs of Texas, holding on for dear life to the ones they were familiar with. Get enough of those in one place all driving on the same roads and you end up with what we have now.

Oh, and traffic enforcement, in particular of speed laws, has dropped noticeably over that same period of time.

As for your last sentence, reading your posts about Texas, and how absolutely ignorant you appear to be about the most basic attributes of the state (no coastline? Really?), you might want to take that more to heart for yourself. Making up things out of whole cloth about a place (or a person, or anything else) and then complaining about those things, is a sign of a serious problem itself. You need to acknowledge that to yourself.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:19 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,310 times
Just because someone throws out a statement like "Texas notoriously has bad drivers and a bunch of drunk drivers" doesn't mean anyone here has to take it seriously and refute it. This just sounds like the usual junk that comes from people who've never been to the state, and are basing their impression of the state on perceptions, assumptions, misunderstandings, and myth, rather than reality and personal experience. If people don't want to take the time to see Texas clearly, we shouldn't waste our time with them.

I've seen more buzzed drivers outside of TX in just a few years, compared to decades in TX. In case you didn't realize it, we now have legal pot in various states. People ought to be looking at the big picture across the country.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:38 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I lived in Dallas, Texas for 17 years. I have never seen a people more IN LOVE with their own state. I am convinced you could take them to Heaven itself, and they'd ask to go back to Texas.

A native Texan told me that in school, one of his teachers would often say . . . "Now class, (deep inhale of breath, deep exhale of breath) let's talk about TEXAS."

That, in a nutshell, sums up a Texan's love for Texas.

I never fit in. I never understood it. I always thought my moving away was a great favor to Texas because there's no room for doubt there. I imagine all the love in the air only strengthened after my departure.

I was born in Louisiana... moved to Texas a in the 80s. I feel the same way about Texas as the Texans you described. Love me some Texas!
Except June to September when its freaking HOTHOTHOT... then I wonder why the heck I moved here to begin with. good grief its hot here... but it is Texas and that is some serious awesomeness.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:48 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,408,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post

I was born in Louisiana... moved to Texas a in the 80s. I feel the same way about Texas as the Texans you described. Love me some Texas!

Except June to September when its freaking HOTHOTHOT... then I wonder why the heck I moved here to begin with. Good grief its hot here... but it is Texas and that is some serious awesomeness.
Yeah, that's the other thing I noticed. There is such a thing as a voluntary Texan. They are people who were born with some mysterious affinity for Texas in their blood.

I knew many Texans who were incredibly well traveled and it didn't matter how many places they'd been that were objectively more beautiful . . . they still loved Texas more.

Or . . . if you meet a Texan who wants to live in other states for a while, they always make it clear that they will retire in Texas. This applies to all ages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas