Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 11:00 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times

Advertisements

Well what I often hear about occurred 50+ years ago. Certainly not recently. But yes I have heard it time and time again. It's why a lot of Hispanic children outside of the big cities were not taught Spanish. Times were a lot different back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 10:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
No kiddin'!

What a disgusting sign and sentiment.

However, like others have pointed out, things were a lot different over fifty years ago, in Texas and in the South in general. And for that matter, all across the US - and the world. Until about the middle of the 20th century, racism was not only tolerated - it was an accepted fact of life basically world wide.

I didn't move to Texas till the early 1990s but one thing that immediately struck me was the marked LACK of racism that people expressed. I don't know what I was expecting, but I think I was a little paranoid because I had always been a military brat and then wife and I had four biracial kids - and we were used to living in the multicultural mix of military life. I was skeptical of the reception we would receive outside of a military lifestyle.

My worries were all for naught.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:17 PM

738 posts, read 765,288 times
South Texas is a bit different. Towns like Fal were usually originally created by the ranches as a place where the folks who worked on the ranch could live. They also tended to be a days wagon ride apart and formed waypoints for the wagon trade to and from Mexico. Conditions varied considerably based on the enlightenment of whoever owned the nearby ranch. Some had a doctor some didn't, some had a school some didn't, some had a church some didn't. Essentially it was ranch feudalism so why be overtly racist towards your employees?

In the early 20th century things got a lot more complicated. Some of the big ranches were getting bought and split into smaller tracts(100 acres) for farming. The new farmers tended to not need the labor and didn't want to pay taxes to take care of wealthy ranchers people living in small towns and working on the ranch(sometimes the town was inside the ranch). They only needed seasonal labor for the harvest, if that, so a virulent form of racism took root.

As you might guess the ranchers and their workers were or became Democrats and the farmers were Republicans. Over the next hundred years an odd political unfolding occurred as the ranch towns became increasingly independent from the ranches themselves and desires for greater freedom and opportunity from ranches and their owners interplayed with heavy racism from people who viewed themselves as economic competitors and net donors to government services for the largely Hispanic ranch labor.

If you've never seen it Giant has a good viewpoint of the interplay and societal structure even down to the ranch owner played by Rock Hudson going from a benign-neglecting paternalist who gets along with his employees but doesn't think much of them as "people" to getting in a fist fight with a racist who makes a comment about his mixed race grandkid.

In the end I think folks in South Texas have lived together long enough that things have sorted themselves out for the most part and there is general consensus on right and wrong behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas