Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 09:23 PM

79 posts, read 314,284 times

Advertisements

Hi! My family is considering a move to TX and we're looking at the San Angelo area and would appreciate any info you are willing to provide.

Some of the questions we have are:

1) Availability of jobs - I'm an accountant and most recently an HR manager. My husband will be able to keep his job regardless of where we live.

2) Daycare / Preschool - we have a 3YO son who is currently in a Pre-K program here in VT. Are the programs good there and what is the cost of FT preschool/care?

3) Schools - we also have an 8 year old daughter. How are the school in the area?

4) Crime rate - Is there a lot of crime? Is the crime generally isolated to specific areas?

5) Any general info you can provide on San Angelo and surrounding areas is really appreciated.

Just a quick background on us - we are moderately conservative, practicing Catholics, hard-working and family-oriented and are looking for a place to raise our kids with low crime, good morals, and good friends.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 10:12 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
I lived in San Angelo for 7 years back in the late 1990s (DH and I met at ASU and stayed there while he finished graduate school) so my info may be a bit dated.

The good things about San Angelo:
1. Cost of living is really low. Rent is cheap (college town) and housing proces are very low. \And if you're buying, you can get a lot of house for little money!
2. San Angelo is a very family-friendly town. There are lots of activities for kids and families, and several family-oriented restaurants. Your family will be happy there!
3. Holy Angels Catholic Church is wonderful!

I can't give you any info on preschools since we aren't parents. I can say that my nieces went to elementary school in SA and they received good education. Some school areas are better than others, of course. Stay in the Santa Rita or southwest part of town and you will be fine. (This applies to the crime rate, too.) Avoid the Lakeview area for both reasosn, and Grape Creek schools are AWFUL.

Honest truth: you are going to have a hard time finding a professional job there. San Angelo survives mostly on low-wage, service-industry jobs, and there are very few openings there for either accountants or HR. (I currently work in HR in Fort Worth.) If you can survive on your hubby's income alone, or you're willing to work for a fairly low salary, then you'll be OK. DH and I moved away because the only job I could get there, even with a degree, was $17k. Moving to DFW nearly doubled my salary immediately!

Good luck!

Old 02-16-2008, 05:51 PM

79 posts, read 314,284 times
Thanks for the info. The info about the $$ is kind of concerning, but if cost of living is that much lower, then I'm sure it all evens out.

Does anybody have any info on property taxes?

Old 02-22-2008, 06:16 PM

24 posts, read 84,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNOTTE View Post
Thanks for the info. The info about the $$ is kind of concerning, but if cost of living is that much lower, then I'm sure it all evens out.

Does anybody have any info on property taxes?
San Angelo, Texas (TX) real estate resources - Sperling's BestPlaces (http://tinyurl.com/yq77ux - broken link)

Old 02-22-2008, 10:19 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
San Angelo, in Green County. Here is their property tax info:

Tom Green County Appraisal District - San Angelo, Texas

Old 02-24-2008, 08:00 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
According to city data, San Angelo's crime rate is higher than the overall average of the United States. I have heard a few stories about the high school from students who now live in my area. Weapons were carried to school and one student was stabbed. They said San Angelo had many gangs. I believe them; they were there.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:30 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Even when I was in college, SA Lakeview had a lot of gangs, and more gangs than SA Central HS. The SAISD has needed to build a third high school in the southwest part of town for a LONG time, but they refuse to. SA Central has a real tradition in that area, and a lot of the old-timers don't want that to go away. Central HS games draw a bigger crowd on Friday nights than Angelo State games on Saturdays!

As for the crime, it is really isolated to a few parts of town: Lakeview, Chadbourne Street industrial area, and El Barrio. The southwest part of town, especially out towards Bentwood CC and Lake Nasworthy, are really nice areas and have very little crime. When I lived there, though, San Angelo did have the highest per-capita DWI rate in the state...

Old 02-24-2008, 10:15 AM

3 posts, read 14,970 times
There is crime in any city, in any state. San Angelo is a neat town. It has the lake, the river walk and the city parks (and there are many) are kept up so nice! The town folks are like anywhere else. Some nice some snobby. Yes, you will get a nice house for less then what you would spend elsewhere. The job situation has already been addressed. Pay is not equal to what you could get say in Dallas, Austin or Houston. But look what you get in exchange! 15 minute commute compared to a 2hr commute in the larger towns.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:13 AM

364 posts, read 1,420,282 times
I miss San Angelo and would move back if the opportunity presented itself. That said, I also love the Temple area. I was born and raised around San Angelo, and went to ASU. It was a wonderful place to grow up.

I've seen gang activity in every city with more than 50 residents. If more than two people live in one spot there will be crime. I stole a pack of gum once when I was about five, and a few times in high school I rode around with some guys who were not out trying to improve the community. Utopia does not exist. Although there is a town here named Utopia. It isn't quite utopia, but it is beautiful.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:04 PM

389 posts, read 1,656,346 times
San Angelo area is a great place to live I worked near San Angelo myself and did a lot of my grocery shopping at the Heb their.I liked their lakes Nasworhty and twin buttes great camping area their.I recommend San Angelo/Concho valley for a taste of West texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas