Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2016, 05:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,583 times

Advertisements

My family and I are headed to the NB area for a new job opportunity. I will be working between SA and Austin on I35. We are looking in NB for a place to rent and are hoping to find a good place to settle down. We'd like a single family home to rent and have been very busy on realtor, Zillow, etc.

What we are wondering is, what part of town is best? We have found a wealth of homes south of I35 around Walnut, Sequin and 1044. We've found a lot of info on Google maps, street view and earth, but want the opinions of the people. Is this a good area for a family, safe to walk/ride bikes, school quality, etc?

Any comments or opinions will be greatly appreciated, as we are moving in July!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2016, 01:23 PM

245 posts, read 234,303 times
I've lived in New Braunfels for the past 12-13 years. The area you described southeast of I35 is fine. Family type neighborhoods. Many of those neighborhoods have been developed within the past 10-15 years. Since 2000, New Braunfels has grown from 36,000 to over 70,000, so chances are your probably looking at newer housing. 2nd fastest growing city in US since 2010. All areas are perfectly safe. Sure there's petty crime like in any mid size city but any violent crime is basically non existent. There are virtually no bad areas of New Braunfels only areas that are older with older established houses or lower income areas. I'd feel safe walking down just about any street in town. The area southeast on walnut, 1044, or 725 (Seguin st) is booming with new housing going up now. Walnut was just extended to Klein Rd and is already almost built up. Another area to look at is the hill country side of town on Hwy 46 going towards Boerne or 306 to Canyon Lake. More trees in this area. Lots of live oaks and slightly more rugged terrain. Can't tell you about schools. My kids went to a private school but I've heard decent reports on most.

In short, New Braunfels is a wonderful town. Lots of charm. Lots of German heritage festivals, and lots of character with friendly folks. I've never had one problem living in New Braunfels. Well maybe traffic on I35 or too many train whistles going through town, although they're making them into quiet zones now. Not to worry the ares I discussed are not the areas with trains. Oh and it's ridiculously hot. Especially for someone coming from the North. Heat index is supposed to be about 107 today. Nice in winter about 65-70 degrees.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,583 times
Thanks for the information and insight. We've lived in multiple areas around the country, so coming from WI will be a shock, but hopefully not too bad. Arriving in July, so we'll be getting there right as the heat is consistent. Glad to hear winters are between 65-70. That is so much better than wind chills of negative 29.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:03 PM

245 posts, read 234,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavidson1229 View Post
Thanks for the information and insight. We've lived in multiple areas around the country, so coming from WI will be a shock, but hopefully not too bad. Arriving in July, so we'll be getting there right as the heat is consistent. Glad to hear winters are between 65-70. That is so much better than wind chills of negative 29.
Yeah, the average high temperature in winter months is 64 for Dec, 63 for Jan, 67 for Feb, and 74 for March. It can get cold, but usually doesn't last too long. By cold, I mean highs in the 40s for a few days, maybe up to a week. Last winter it did not get below 30F for a low all winter, although some winters can see a winter low temp of around 20. Snow and ice are virtually non existent, although can happen once every few (3-5 years). Last winter did not see one flake of any type of frozen precip. Every month, even January, sees at least a couple 80 degree days.

Arriving in July, you'll see temps of around 96-100 degrees every day, heat indexes around 105-110 frequently, with occasional actual air temperatures of 105 degrees or greater. I've seen it get to around 110, 111, or so in New Braunfels give or take a degree in actual air temp. Stays hot through September, cooling off some in October into the 80s. Months like late Oct-Nov and Mar-Apr are the best times of year for moderate weather, 80 degrees during those periods.

Any questions as to whether a specific location is in a good area, send me a message. The areas down Walnut from near County line Rd. to Klein Rd. are fine, as are areas going towards Boerne on Hwy 46 or going out towards Canyon Lake on FM 306. Most other areas are fine, although there are some older established neighborhoods near the city center, but I wouldn't necessarily consider these that unsafe. I live in an older neighborhood for the past 13 years, and the worst thing that has ever happened to me is some kids stole a bike out of my driveway once.

Old 06-25-2016, 02:26 PM

21,429 posts, read 10,512,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavidson1229 View Post
Just go tubing down the rivers and it'll cool you off real fast. I'm jealous. I'd love to move to New Braunfels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas