Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 12:15 AM

48 posts, read 151,471 times

Advertisements

Greetings. Glad you're here.

I'm planning a move from Las Vegas with my mom. It's not meant to happen for a year, so right now we're thoroughly researching available options. Mom's in love with Texas so heavy homework's being done on that state.

We're looking for a healthy job market, diversity, recreational activities and a place where it's not sunny 360+ days out of the year. What cities are the most diverse? Which ones have the best climate? Job market? All three, if possible?

If you live in Texas, do you love it or hate it? Why?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 12:40 AM

3,491 posts, read 6,928,911 times
What is your budget?I live in Texas and I love it just tired of my city though.What kind of industry are you looking to work in?Houston is highly diverse but its economy is not in the best shape due to the bust.What kind of hobbies are yall into?Best of luck.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:20 PM

5,425 posts, read 4,403,345 times
You did not provide a ton of information, but I had similar criteria to you when I was considering a move to Texas. My priorities were:

1. Finding a good job. I was interested in an area with a pro-business environment, many Fortune 500 HQs, and a low unemployment rate. I thought that those factors would mean a healthy job market for me.

2. Dating. I wanted an area with good choices for dating.

3. Making friends. I needed to make friends with others at a similar point in life to me (20s and single).

I considered the 4 major cities in Texas (Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston). The first city I eliminated was San Antonio. I didn't think San Antonio was large enough and economically vibrant enough. The next place I eliminated was Austin. While there was factors about Austin that I liked (the job market), I had significant concerns about my ability to fit in socially. I was coming from out-of-state with very limited connections to Texas.

So the choice came down to between Dallas and Houston, the two largest metropolitan areas in the state. I chose Dallas over Houston because while I thought that both had good economic options, I felt that Dallas' economy was a little more diversified over Houston's energy industry reliance, particularly oil & gas. I had no experience in oil & gas at the time of the move. I think Dallas is probably a little bit better socially than Houston.

The decision to move to Texas was a good one, and Dallas specifically has been working pretty well for me.

Old 07-02-2016, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
You did not provide a ton of information, but I had similar criteria to you when I was considering a move to Texas. My priorities were:

1. Finding a good job. I was interested in an area with a pro-business environment, many Fortune 500 HQs, and a low unemployment rate. I thought that those factors would mean a healthy job market for me.

2. Dating. I wanted an area with good choices for dating.

3. Making friends. I needed to make friends with others at a similar point in life to me (20s and single).

I considered the 4 major cities in Texas (Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston). The first city I eliminated was San Antonio. I didn't think San Antonio was large enough and economically vibrant enough. The next place I eliminated was Austin. While there was factors about Austin that I liked (the job market), I had significant concerns about my ability to fit in socially. I was coming from out-of-state with very limited connections to Texas.

So the choice came down to between Dallas and Houston, the two largest metropolitan areas in the state. I chose Dallas over Houston because while I thought that both had good economic options, I felt that Dallas' economy was a little more diversified over Houston's energy industry reliance, particularly oil & gas. I had no experience in oil & gas at the time of the move. I think Dallas is probably a little bit better socially than Houston.

The decision to move to Texas was a good one, and Dallas specifically has been working pretty well for me.
Hi. Thank you and the other visitor for responding to my quest for feedback. You provided a lot of feedback, but here's a more detailed assessment of our situation:

1) Jobs: We're looking for a thriving job market. One in which it doesn't take months to find a well paying job, or not find one at all. We lived in California and had fulltime jobs applying to jobs, but NEVER heard anything back. Ever. So we don't need another Californian job market.

Dallas and Houston seem to be right up there for job markets, so I'd definitely like to know more there.

2) Culture: Looking for a city with different cultures, and a city that welcomes different cultures. California was great, Vegas everyone's either a drunk zombie or perverted. Dallas sounds like a step in the right direction.

3) Land: Mom wants to know about land. Where you can buy the best land for your home.

4) Recreation: Looking for a city where people do things. Sports things. Swim. Hike. Bike. Do anything other than sit, drink and prey on the members of the opposite sex (cough cough Vegas).

5) Looking for...well, honestly, life. A place where people enjoy life and live it to the fullest. A place with a sense of community.

And of course, I'm always open to any cons, other than 'it's hot' and traffic is bad.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:30 PM

5,425 posts, read 4,403,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belldandy07 View Post
Hi. Thank you and the other visitor for responding to my quest for feedback. You provided a lot of feedback, but here's a more detailed assessment of our situation:

1) Jobs: We're looking for a thriving job market. One in which it doesn't take months to find a well paying job, or not find one at all. We lived in California and had fulltime jobs applying to jobs, but NEVER heard anything back. Ever. So we don't need another Californian job market.

Dallas and Houston seem to be right up there for job markets, so I'd definitely like to know more there.

2) Culture: Looking for a city with different cultures, and a city that welcomes different cultures. California was great, Vegas everyone's either a drunk zombie or perverted. Dallas sounds like a step in the right direction.

3) Land: Mom wants to know about land. Where you can buy the best land for your home.

4) Recreation: Looking for a city where people do things. Sports things. Swim. Hike. Bike. Do anything other than sit, drink and prey on the members of the opposite sex (cough cough Vegas).

5) Looking for...well, honestly, life. A place where people enjoy life and live it to the fullest. A place with a sense of community.

And of course, I'm always open to any cons, other than 'it's hot' and traffic is bad.
1. It's hard to say that the Texas job market is thriving, but Texas cities are doing okay. Houston is more closely tied to oil & gas and that industry isn't at peak levels at the moment. Also, a lot of how one experiences the job is tied to their own career experiences and objectives.

2. Texas cities are probably an upgrade over Las Vegas in terms of drunk zombies and perverts. Yes, those people exist in Texas. But is Texas spectacular culturally? I don't think so.

3. Don't have enough expertise on land to comment.

4. Both Dallas and Houston have reputations as eat, drink, and shop places. However, if you play sports, you should be able to find a community of others that do the same thing. There are some sports I play and I've been able to build some meaningful relationships based upon my participation in sports/exercise activities.

5. Hard to say much about that. It is really subjective.

I would not want to live in Las Vegas. Cities that attract a lot of tourists are usually bad places to live for locals. I felt that way when I lived in Phoenix. Phoenix was a good city to live in if you had made your money elsewhere and were a retiree. Otherwise, it wasn't great as it lacked high quality jobs due to a lack of Fortune 500 HQs and a lot of focus on the needs of retirees. If you worked in medical and serviced retirees, that was a thriving thing in Phoenix. One of the good things that I have found about Dallas is that it has a good base of Fortune 500 HQs and decent opportunities work-wise, as well as fewer retirees and more of an orientation towards the needs of working age professionals. Maybe residents in other Texas cities can chime in on what they've experienced.

Cons

1. A tough dating market. If you are a guy, you are going to have to do a lot to differentiate yourself. Most cities in the Western United States have awful sex ratios of single males to single females in age cohorts from 21-39. It's not insurmountable, but Texas cities can be challenging places to date. Since I've only lived in Dallas, I can speak most in detail about Dallas.

2. High property taxes for those who own property
3. Dallas roads are low quality. The quality of drivers isn't great either here. Maybe other cities differ.
4. Public transportation and walkability are low.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:22 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,636,950 times
Quote:

1: The job market is very good in Texas. I work in the higher ed technology field and there were over a dozen job postings for openings in my particular area. Most other states had fewer than 5. There are definitely jobs here. Here's the negative... Salaries are somewhat low. A low salary would probably be okay in a smaller town, but in DFW, housing costs are through the roof. I've pretty much already determined that I'll never be able to afford my own home in DFW at my current salary range.

2: There are many cultural options in DFW. I see ethnic restaurants all over the place. Any time I go shopping, there are plenty of international families. That being said, cultural activities here are lacking. Things like museums, plays, musicals are more limited than other cities in the country.

3: Not sure about land, but I've heard that land is cheap in Texas.

4: There are plenty of pools in DFW, but you won't find many people hiking here. I don't frequently see cyclists in my area, although I'm sure they are out there somewhere. I live near a park and there are always people jogging over there.

5: DFW is a great place to raise a family, or settle down. But I'm in my 20s and I find the offerings here a little lacking. DFW seems like the perfect place for me in 10 years, but for right now, I'm more interested in a more hip area.

Since you mentioned the heat: I'm originally from the east coast, but lived in the Midwest for a few years before moving to TX. I find the daytime heat and humidity mostly comparable to other places I've lived. But the nighttime heat has been a huge shock to me. It's currently 15 minutes after midnight, and it's still 85 degrees outside. Meanwhile, it's 65 degrees in Kansas City (where I lived before DFW).

Overall, I like DFW, but I still haven't decided if its the place for me permanently. There are great restaurants here. Dallas and Fort Worth are completely different, but it's awesome having them so close to each other. Traffic can sometimes be a pain, but I live and work in town, so it doesn't really affect me.

The biggest adjustment for me has been the lack of scenery. Kansas City was very hilly and had a park feel to it. DFW feels like one big open plot of land with a bunch of buildings and highways. But the other amenities make living here worth it.

Old 07-03-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
1: The job market is very good in Texas. I work in the higher ed technology field and there were over a dozen job postings for openings in my particular area. Most other states had fewer than 5. There are definitely jobs here. Here's the negative... Salaries are somewhat low. A low salary would probably be okay in a smaller town, but in DFW, housing costs are through the roof. I've pretty much already determined that I'll never be able to afford my own home in DFW at my current salary range.

2: There are many cultural options in DFW. I see ethnic restaurants all over the place. Any time I go shopping, there are plenty of international families. That being said, cultural activities here are lacking. Things like museums, plays, musicals are more limited than other cities in the country.

3: Not sure about land, but I've heard that land is cheap in Texas.

4: There are plenty of pools in DFW, but you won't find many people hiking here. I don't frequently see cyclists in my area, although I'm sure they are out there somewhere. I live near a park and there are always people jogging over there.

5: DFW is a great place to raise a family, or settle down. But I'm in my 20s and I find the offerings here a little lacking. DFW seems like the perfect place for me in 10 years, but for right now, I'm more interested in a more hip area.

Since you mentioned the heat: I'm originally from the east coast, but lived in the Midwest for a few years before moving to TX. I find the daytime heat and humidity mostly comparable to other places I've lived. But the nighttime heat has been a huge shock to me. It's currently 15 minutes after midnight, and it's still 85 degrees outside. Meanwhile, it's 65 degrees in Kansas City (where I lived before DFW).

Overall, I like DFW, but I still haven't decided if its the place for me permanently. There are great restaurants here. Dallas and Fort Worth are completely different, but it's awesome having them so close to each other. Traffic can sometimes be a pain, but I live and work in town, so it doesn't really affect me.

The biggest adjustment for me has been the lack of scenery. Kansas City was very hilly and had a park feel to it. DFW feels like one big open plot of land with a bunch of buildings and highways. But the other amenities make living here worth it.
Thank you everyone for your detailed feedback. It's all incredibly helpful.

In regards to the mentality we're looking for: we live in a city in which people are either drunk, only interested in spending money, perverted or all of the above. There's no community spirit, or spirit of anything. I know those kinds of people exist everywhere, but as long as there's not an overwhelmingly large population of them, we're good to go.

It's all right on the sports front. We're not looking for Olympic gymnasts or anything, just people that are not of a Vegas-esque mindset. I've been doing homework on Dallas this morning and it seems like there isn't a large crop of people only interested in being drunk, plastic-y or perverted-there's a ton of activities and people seem to be incredibly active.

As for job market: Vegas has a somewhat-okay job market but many positions offer pay rates a scratch above minimum wage. Mom and I have acquired a massive amount of experience, and have been able to earn positions that pay $15 an hour, so job hunting in a strong economy won't be a problem. We just can't go through filling out application after application without hearing anything, like we did in astronomically expensive California.

I work as a freelance writer and editor on my own, and Mom wants to open a yoga class, but we know those careers are left entirely up to our efforts. Unless there's a massive writing and/or yoga community in Texas.

Other than heat and traffic, I'm not able to find any fatal cons to Dallas yet. Neither of us are interested in dating; dog-loving Mom just wants to adopt dogs and I'm focused on eventually making a strong enough income to become a fulltime writer. No dating for me yet.

Houston's neck-and-neck with it but more feedback is needed on Houston. Any Dallas cons, Houston pros, why Houston is better than Dallas, or ANY PROS AND CONS ON TEXAS are definitely all helpful. You guys have been great so far!

Old 07-03-2016, 01:45 PM

67,637 posts, read 60,168,407 times
Don't forget to consider Fort Worth - personally it's my favorite Texas city. It's quirky, artsy, Texan to the bone, and very culturally diverse. It also has a very strong job market. And it is NOT just a branch of Dallas - it's it's own city in it's own right.

I am not a Texas native but have lived in East Texas for over 20 years, so I consider myself a Texan. I personally love it. I was raised for the most part in the South and on the southern East Coast. To me, the heat and humidity are not unexpected or particularly daunting - except, as someone else mentioned, at NIGHT. From late June through mid September or so, there simply isn't a break from the heat. But that's the biggest downside to me - and the positives more than make up for that factor in my opinion.

I know it may sound like a cliche, but the best thing about Texas is the people. Texans are very friendly and open. Another positive is that there is no state income tax. Yes, you will pay higher property taxes, but since property taxes are based on the value of your home, that's something that you have some control over. It's also not usually unaffordable, because the overall cost of housing is reasonable in Texas (depending of course on where the property is). Nearly always, the overall cost of your property taxes will be lower than what most states "charge" for income tax.

Not sure if you are open to smaller cities but if you are, check out Tyler. I was just talking last night to a family who moved to the Tyler area just two years ago and they were all beaming with happiness as the mom said, "Honestly, we think that Tyler is the best kept secret in Texas!" Definitely a family city though - not a big singles scene. However, the diversity and cultural elements of Tyler usually do surprise people who are expecting nothing more than a sleepy little town. It also has a very healthy economy and a good job market - and lots of choices when it comes to housing. I like that Tyler is close enough to Dallas and Fort Worth (two hours max) without being smack dab in the middle of a big city. When I want the amenities of a big city, I go there. But I don't have to deal with the traffic and the higher cost of living and congestion 24/7.

I would definitely recommend registering with several professional staffing companies as well as filling out applications online, wherever you decide to settle.

Keep us posted! If I can help with any questions, just fire away.

Old 07-03-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Don't forget to consider Fort Worth - personally it's my favorite Texas city. It's quirky, artsy, Texan to the bone, and very culturally diverse. It also has a very strong job market. And it is NOT just a branch of Dallas - it's it's own city in it's own right.

I am not a Texas native but have lived in East Texas for over 20 years, so I consider myself a Texan. I personally love it. I was raised for the most part in the South and on the southern East Coast. To me, the heat and humidity are not unexpected or particularly daunting - except, as someone else mentioned, at NIGHT. From late June through mid September or so, there simply isn't a break from the heat. But that's the biggest downside to me - and the positives more than make up for that factor in my opinion.

I know it may sound like a cliche, but the best thing about Texas is the people. Texans are very friendly and open. Another positive is that there is no state income tax. Yes, you will pay higher property taxes, but since property taxes are based on the value of your home, that's something that you have some control over. It's also not usually unaffordable, because the overall cost of housing is reasonable in Texas (depending of course on where the property is). Nearly always, the overall cost of your property taxes will be lower than what most states "charge" for income tax.

Not sure if you are open to smaller cities but if you are, check out Tyler. I was just talking last night to a family who moved to the Tyler area just two years ago and they were all beaming with happiness as the mom said, "Honestly, we think that Tyler is the best kept secret in Texas!" Definitely a family city though - not a big singles scene. However, the diversity and cultural elements of Tyler usually do surprise people who are expecting nothing more than a sleepy little town. It also has a very healthy economy and a good job market - and lots of choices when it comes to housing. I like that Tyler is close enough to Dallas and Fort Worth (two hours max) without being smack dab in the middle of a big city. When I want the amenities of a big city, I go there. But I don't have to deal with the traffic and the higher cost of living and congestion 24/7.

I would definitely recommend registering with several professional staffing companies as well as filling out applications online, wherever you decide to settle.

Keep us posted! If I can help with any questions, just fire away.
Now you've set off my Fort Worth and Tyler radar. I never knew Tyler existed until you mentioned it, and Fort Worth seems amazing. Give me everything you've got on either one. Job market, people, the sense of community, activities, just overall quality of life. I'm definitely going to do my homework too! Any city that can be described as artsy is one right up our alley. Definitely a diverse city too! The bigger the cultural mosaic, the better.

Thanks for the recommendations on how to job hunt. I really do appreciate it. We'll definitely use both options before heading out to the city we choose in the end!

As always, still wide open to all pros and cons of any Texas city.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:19 PM

67,637 posts, read 60,168,407 times
Quote:
Now you've set off my Fort Worth and Tyler radar. I never knew Tyler existed until you mentioned it, and Fort Worth seems amazing. Give me everything you've got on either one. Job market, people, the sense of community, activities, just overall quality of life. I'm definitely going to do my homework too! Any city that can be described as artsy is one right up our alley. Definitely a diverse city too! The bigger the cultural mosaic, the better.

Thanks for the recommendations on how to job hunt. I really do appreciate it. We'll definitely use both options before heading out to the city we choose in the end!

As always, still wide open to all pros and cons of any Texas city.
Ahhh, you've got it!

I am not a Fort Worth expert, because I have never lived there, but since I have close relatives who do, I've been there a lot and I love it every time I go!

Fort Worth has a vibrant Arts/Cultural District, with numerous very high quality art museums. Very impressive in their own right, but there are also many galleries, art shows, etc.
https://www.fortworth.com/things-to-...and-galleries/

But here's what I dearly love about Fort Worth and what makes it the quintessential Texas city to me - it's mixture of cultural and artistic venues coupled with it's unique and genuine "Western" history and culture. For instance, check out the Fort Worth Stockyards:
https://www.fortworth.com/listings/s...-station/3776/

There's a rodeo nearly every night in the Stockyards. You have to check it out, even if western stuff isn't your thing (it's not mine either, but I have to admit that the history and culture has it's charms).

There are lots of different types of housing options in Fort Worth.

TONS of all sorts of restaurants from every corner of the globe.

I like the feel of Fort Worth - it doesn't seem as hectic and crowded as Dallas, though Fort Worth is one of the fastest growing cities in the US.
Five of the Nation’s Eleven Fastest-Growing Cities are in Texas

Now - Tyler. I've lived here for most of the past 20 years (I moved to Kilgore, between Longview and Tyler, for awhile but moved back to Tyler as fast as I could - LOL). I absolutely love this small city, but like I said, it is a very family oriented small city - it is not a party town. It has a lot more arts and culture than most cities it's size (the metro area is about 200,000) and has a ton of locally owned restaurants as well as several museums (including a decent art museum). We have several venues which attract some well known musicians, artists, speakers, acts, etc. There are some really quirky, artsy areas just around Tyler as well - Edom and Ben Wheeler come to mind immediately. These small towns are to the west of Tyler, between Tyler and Dallas.

Tyler's business formula has worked very well over the decades, and consequently there is a lot of diversity within a pretty affluent base. Tyler is predominately a white collar, professional town, and is the medical hub of east Texas.

Tyler is also chock full of beautiful neighborhoods and a very nicely restored "historic" type of district, called the Azalea District.

There are numerous parks and walking and cycling trails and LOTS of yoga studios!

People in Tyler love to shop, and they love to eat out. There is a pretty diverse ethnic selection of locally owned restaurants, and several large shopping areas.

I do like "big city" life sometimes, and that's another reason why I like Tyler - it's close enough but not too close to Dallas. It's about a five hour drive from Austin and a two hour drive to Dallas or Fort Worth.

That's a good start to whet your appetite!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas