Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 10:26 AM

6 posts, read 10,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope48 View Post
Corpus has the most moderate weather. The water retains a fair amount of heat throughout the Winter. The job market is pretty good and is typically consistent. It has virtually no traffic for a city especially if you avoid the Southside. Lots of good public waterfronts and beaches for your daily walk. There also is a pretty large community of folks from Northern States that moved for lower cost of living and warm weather. There is enough diversity for a good range of food choices. For "big city" stuff Houston, Austin, and San Antonio are short drives away.
Yea - thats absolutely perfect. Great places for walking is a huge requirement too. Job prospects being decent is also very important incase I ever decide to change careers and the weather sounds great too. I also like the idea of being close enough to go to the city area when I want to without having to live right in it. Thanks for this info - another very helpful response!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 03:18 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,475,528 times
Since everyone went against the RGV, I'll give an opposing view.

The OP already said he/she has a virtual job and not looking for a job. Coming to the RGV without having something already lined up is not a good idea. Good jobs are scarce but still available. If you are qualified there are still plenty of opportunities.

As for the Spanish thing, there are plenty of people here that do not speak it and it is NOT necessary. Sure we are only several miles from Mexico and the culture here is very integrated with the Mexican one but most Anglos here acclimate very well and many manage just fine without it.

As for the racist thing, last time I checked Hispanic or Mexican was not a race. If you have a problem with the culture that is another thing entirely. Many times when someone feels prejudice it is a reflection on THEM not necessarily the other people. Some people have a tendency to blame their problems on everyone else sometimes. Many "white" people love it here and NO they are not retired. The live full active lives.

The OP mentioned cost of living.. ours is quite low.

As for being isolated, we are not isolated. What are we supposed to be isolated from? We have everything we need here and the RGV at last count has 1.3 million population. It's not like this is in the middle of the desert. Look at El Paso, that is isolated. We ave planty of amenities already here but if you must have the "big city", SA is the closest. Corpus to San Antonio is 2 hours. Mcallen to San Antonio is 3.5 hours. Flying to Dallas or Houston is 1 hour.

As for the heat, YES it is very hot but I challenge you to find a place in the lower 48 that is not hot right now. You would have to travel to the southern hemisphere. Today July 19, Minneapolis had a heat index of 110. Along with Miami we have the mildest winters in the country, that I can assure you. Last year we did not dip below 32 even once and it's like that most years.

What does Corpus have that the RGV does not?
Sure they have a beach, but IMO we have a better one. Sure they have malls and restaurants but so do we. Golf courses we both have them. If you like nature we have the most bird species in the continental US. Ecotourism is a major economic force in the RGV.

High wages for blue collar jobs? They don't exist anywhere around here or in Corpus either. You need skills to get a good job. The OP (as I understand it) already has a job.

These debates about this place vs that place are quite common here on CD. Here's one comparing Mcallen to CC //www.city-data.com/forum/texas...len-metro.html

RGV is not for everyone, I grant you that but it IS for a lot of people and they like it just fine.

Last edited by gguerra; 07-19-2016 at 03:43 PM..

Old 07-19-2016, 07:39 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,084,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post

The OP already said he/she has a virtual job and not looking for a job. Coming to the RGV without having something already lined up is not a good idea. Good jobs are scarce but still available. If you are qualified there are still plenty of opportunities.

As for the Spanish thing, there are plenty of people here that do not speak it and it is NOT necessary. Sure we are only several miles from Mexico and the culture here is very integrated with the Mexican one but most Anglos here acclimate very well and many manage just fine without it.

As for the racist thing, last time I checked Hispanic or Mexican was not a race. If you have a problem with the culture that is another thing entirely. Many times when someone feels prejudice it is a reflection on THEM not necessarily the other people. Some people have a tendency to blame their problems on everyone else sometimes. Many "white" people love it here and NO they are not retired. The live full active lives.

As for being isolated, we are not isolated. What are we supposed to be isolated from? We have everything we need here and the RGV at last count has 1.3 million population. It's not like this is in the middle of the desert. Look at El Paso, that is isolated. We ave planty of amenities already here but if you must have the "big city", SA is the closest. Corpus to San Antonio is 2 hours. Mcallen to San Antonio is 3.5 hours. Flying to Dallas or Houston is 1 hour.

As for the heat, YES it is very hot but I challenge you to find a place in the lower 48 that is not hot right now. You would have to travel to the southern hemisphere. Today July 19, Minneapolis had a heat index of 110. Along with Miami we have the mildest winters in the country, that I can assure you. Last year we did not dip below 32 even once and it's like that most years.

Sure they have a beach, but IMO we have a better one. Sure they have malls and restaurants but so do we. Golf courses we both have them. If you like nature we have the most bird species in the continental US. Ecotourism is a major economic force in the RGV.

High wages for blue collar jobs? They don't exist anywhere around here or in Corpus either. You need skills to get a good job. The OP (as I understand it) already has a job.

These debates about this place vs that place are quite common here on CD. Here's one comparing Mcallen to CC //www.city-data.com/forum/texas...len-metro.html

RGV is not for everyone, I grant you that but it IS for a lot of people and they like it just fine.

Today July 19, Minneapolis had a heat index of 110. Along with Miami we have the mildest winters in the country, that I can assure you. Last year we did not dip below 32 even once and it's like that most years.

Checked at 4:45 current temp was 85 heat index 90. Just "off" 20 degrees.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:19 PM

6 posts, read 10,733 times
Quote:

Hello,

Thanks very much for a perspective from the other side - I enjoy the different takes on anything.

To start - I didn't mean any offense when I mentioned that I am not racist - I simply meant that I respect and enjoy the company of people from all heritages and would just want to be around like-minded people. I spent 17 years of my life in a city in the Northeast where "caucasian" was the minority and I got along just fine

The Spanish part is good to know - I don't speak it and can only understand very little.

Cost of living being low is also a good thing and I will add - I also have no interest in being "rich" - thats not what life is about. Working is about making enough to live a decent life. I work to live, not live to work. If I ever did change careers, I would really only be looking for a job that could provide a studio/1BR apartment, a decent car, food in my stomach and maybe a little fun money (I wouldn't even be against a small part-time job for the fun money). I'm a simple dude and I don't need much. I honestly hate the "rat-race" and want nothing more than to leave it. The only vacation I ever take is to the beach and i'd be right by one so that covers that!

No need for a big city experience - got plenty fill of that for one lifetime (and all of the nasty people that come with it). Small, tight-knit and friendly community is where it's at. Nature is awesome and so are nature hikes as well.

I love the heat too - I go for 4-5 mile walks in 100 degree heat index and am just fine (I have a small belt that holds 2 bottles of water and keeps them insulated and cool - all you need!) - it's the winter I absolutely can't stand and this area would solve my problem.

To be honest - seems like i'd probably fit in in either place based on what everyone is saying!

Old 07-20-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Today July 19, Minneapolis had a heat index of 110. Along with Miami we have the mildest winters in the country, that I can assure you. Last year we did not dip below 32 even once and it's like that most years.

Checked at 4:45 current temp was 85 heat index 90. Just "off" 20 degrees.
You missed the point. I misspoke a bit and posted the "forecast" temperature which I saw on the news. I don't spend all day monitoring temperatures from around the country. Minneapolis has a forecast of 97 for Thursday 7/21 with 59% humidity. If you go to this page and type in those numbers you get a heat index of 118F. Today a high of 94 is predicted with 70% humidity and that equals 119F. Why are they predicting the number so high? Who knows? The real point is that most or all of the country is really hot. It doesn't matter anyway, the OP actually likes the heat.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:42 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,084,282 times
Quote:
You missed the point. I misspoke a bit and posted the "forecast" temperature which I saw on the news. I don't spend all day monitoring temperatures from around the country. Minneapolis has a forecast of 97 for Thursday 7/21 with 59% humidity. If you go to this page and type in those numbers you get a heat index of 118F. Today a high of 94 is predicted with 70% humidity and that equals 119F. Why are they predicting the number so high? Who knows? The real point is that most or all of the country is really hot. It doesn't matter anyway, the OP actually likes the heat.
Weather is a BIG hobby of mine for 59 years, so I knew that didn't sound at all AVERAGE for the area. I just didn't want an "exception" to the rule, to be thought of as "normal".

Oh, but you really did go to a lot of trouble to respond to me, lol. Sorry for the angst, I might have caused. Have a great day.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:25 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,368 times
Quote:

I respect your opinion, Mcallen is the best city in the valley for sure, you live there so you gotta shed the positives, makes sense. Been down there for work the past 3 years consistently and I've yet to run into somebody (besides retirees/winter Texans) that doesnt speak Spanish fluently, especially a native. That part you mention plenty of people don't speak Spanish is misleading. I'm Hispanic, live in SA and I feel like an outsider when in the valley. Told someone down there I only speak Spanish 50% and he's like oh yeah me too. I meant I'm about 50% fluent, but he meant he speaks Spanish (fluently) 50% of the time and English 50% time lol. The majority of the population is that way there.

The one area that doesn't feel like the valley is the port Isabel / south Padre island area. I'd recommend that for op. Beaches are better, many more aren't native Spanish speakers, and small communities. Brownsville/McAllen is a whole different world and culture.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Weather is a BIG hobby of mine for 59 years, so I knew that didn't sound at all AVERAGE for the area. I just didn't want an "exception" to the rule, to be thought of as "normal".

Oh, but you really did go to a lot of trouble to respond to me, lol. Sorry for the angst, I might have caused. Have a great day.
Apparently I do have time on my hands. I post a lot on CD here at work. I do know that the entire country has problems with excessive heat and lately it seems like it's happening more and more. Could it global warming?

Old 07-23-2016, 09:13 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
I live in Harlingen. Moved from the northeast back in 2011. Its a very laid back, slow paced area. Its a BIG Change if you are coming from the north. Its also very segregated. The Winter Texans only stick to themselves, the locals only stick themselves and almost NEVER intermingle I have found.

You will be in for a culture shock though. Its great being close to the beach and in nice weather year round. The traffic is great. You can get anywhere pretty fast. Its an area that seems to be growing as well.

The great thing is, you don't have to go away on vacation and spend a ton of money. You are at a great vacation spot at the island.

It's not very easy meeting and befriending people if you are from outside the area. But If you enjoy the solitude (I'm a bit of a loner myself) it's not bad at all. Very relaxing and laid back. Retirement like even if you aren't of retirement age

Last edited by DorianRo; 07-23-2016 at 09:24 AM..

Old 07-23-2016, 02:52 PM

8 posts, read 23,163 times
Perhaps you are not racist, but you may be naive to think that others are not. You will experience racism daily in subtle, and sometimes not subtle ways.

Last edited by MacDaddy2; 07-23-2016 at 03:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas