Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 10:08 AM

23 posts, read 34,353 times

Advertisements

LOL. No. Texas is a great school. But anyone claiming it is the Harvard of Texas smoked too much weed on Sixth Street. It has the reputation of the main public college in its home state. In Washington, the University of Washington would have the same reputation. Let's not get carried away.

Harvard? LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 08:35 AM

65 posts, read 217,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
Look at Rice's global university ranking on us news, 84. UT is ranked 30 in the world. UT is a better university overall though it's undergraduate program can't compete with Rice solely because it can be more picky since it's a private university. What UT does is incredible considering the anti intellectual political environment of Texas
Thats just plain untrue or you are picking from some strange sublist.

Rice is ranked #18 in the US by USNews right up there close to the Ivys making it the closest we have to a Harvard. Not only in rankings but also in its focus and as a private university, not a huge public one.

Rice University | Rice University - Profile, Rankings and Data | Rice | US News Best Colleges

UT is a great school. Its ranked 52'nd by US News though

University of Texas--Austin | University of Texas--Austin - Profile, Rankings and Data | University of Texas | US News Best Colleges

Old 09-02-2016, 02:05 PM

439 posts, read 437,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu8912 View Post
Thats just plain untrue or you are picking from some strange sublist.

Rice is ranked #18 in the US by USNews right up there close to the Ivys making it the closest we have to a Harvard. Not only in rankings but also in its focus and as a private university, not a huge public one.

Rice University | Rice University - Profile, Rankings and Data | Rice | US News Best Colleges

UT is a great school. Its ranked 52'nd by US News though

University of Texas--Austin | University of Texas--Austin - Profile, Rankings and Data | University of Texas | US News Best Colleges
This is all true if you believe that the Emperor wears clothes. I, for one, don't believe he wears clothes. And he is the one who deems all nonsense as official. Again. I received quite a deep education while attending U of H. Attending Harvard would have been a distraction.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:48 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
The 2017 college rankings are out.. While UT and A&M both dropped four spots, the private schools seem to be moving up..

15. Rice University
56. Southern Methodist University
56. University of Texas
71. Baylor University
74. Texas A&M University
82. Texas Christian University

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chron...?client=safari

Old 09-16-2016, 03:35 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
Harvard's football team (yes, they have one) doesn't even play in the BCS
Harvard football alum Ryan Fitzpatrick used to quarterback the Texans (poorly) and currently quarterbacks the Jets (poorly).

Old 09-16-2016, 03:44 PM

394 posts, read 435,261 times
UT is highly regarded as the "best overall school" in Texas

The MASSIVE alumni network and centralized location of Austin help a lot too.

It isn't easy to get in either. I'm from Texas and got into EVERY university in Texas, EXCEPT UT Austin and Rice(didn't apply though)

Old 09-16-2016, 03:54 PM

205 posts, read 279,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Man74 View Post
UT is highly regarded as the "best overall school" in Texas

The MASSIVE alumni network and centralized location of Austin help a lot too.

It isn't easy to get in either. I'm from Texas and got into EVERY university in Texas, EXCEPT UT Austin and Rice(didn't apply though)
And keeps getting harder to get into. Now in order to gain automatic acceptance, its top 7%

Old 09-17-2016, 01:37 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
I do agree that if you're in certain professions and industries then the UT alumni network can be invaluable. If the alumni network is a factor in getting you foot in the door though I would look at what you wish to do and where you wish to live.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:41 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times
I do not think UT has the same reputation as Harvard here in Texas.
-WT

Old 10-04-2016, 03:48 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,595,852 times
You got the wrong school. I'm glad I'm not the only one saying it, but yeah dude. You got the wrong school. Rice University is the "Harvard of Texas" or "Harvard of the South". Not that UT isn't an incredible school. It just isn't on Rice's level. And obviously not Harvard's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: