Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 10:21 AM

455 posts, read 459,777 times

Advertisements

Everyone has an accent to someone. If you don't think you do, just travel to a different region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 10:55 AM

17,335 posts, read 9,149,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I'm from North Carolina. People in this part of the South have a slow drawl accent. However, the Texas southern accent is quite different. It's not slow, but it has a sort of twang to it.

Get someone from Texas with an accent to say words like "right" or "tight". It almost sounds like they are saying "rat" or "tat". Get someone from North Carolina (or really the rest of the South) to say these words and they'll sound sort of like "riot" or "tayat".

Are there any other characteristics of the Texas accent you've noticed?
Born & raised in Texas. Never noticed any accent at all .... Except for the Yankees.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:06 AM

17,335 posts, read 9,149,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You will sure hear plenty of that! Honestly, I don't know how people communicate effectively without using that wonderful word.

Note: "Ya'll" is two or more people. But "all y'all" (which you will also hear) is inclusive of an entire group of people.

For instance:

"Y'all come on. We gotta get to the state fair before it gets too hot and crowded."
"Who all's going?"
"ALL y'all - at least that's what I thought. Come on! Get in the truck! Roasted corn and funnel cakes are waitin' for us!"
That's "We gotta git'n tha truck!" "Roasted corn an funnel cakes arra waitin' forus."
That's not an accent - it's a Conservation program. We conserve letters and time.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:35 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,127,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
How do you pronounce it?
Wehns-dey. The pin-pen thing always gets me too. What do you need a pin for?

Old 08-18-2016, 01:06 PM

2,276 posts, read 4,020,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
In my book, "pin" and "pen" are basically homonymns.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Not at all.

(And Texas - not Virginia - is where I learned to talk.)

Old 08-18-2016, 01:52 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,127,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
In my book, "pin" and "pen" are basically homonymns.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Not at all.

(And Texas - not Virginia - is where I learned to talk.)
Oh, it doesn't bother me, it's just an observation. I love the Texas accent.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:45 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,213,244 times
lived in texas all my life for 37 years the only time people say i have a texas accent is when i say y'all. Now my former co worker from south carolina soon as she opened her mouth you knew she wasnt from up north.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:15 PM

20,502 posts, read 33,347,805 times
Quote:
I just noticed last night that my neighbor (from Houston) says "Windsdee" for Wednesday. LOL.

I'm from Long Island so I can't complain about accents. I cover mine up pretty good but it comes out when I'm either drinking or angry.
I've always say WenesDAY but my aunt and cousins in Miami always says Windsdee and Tuesdee. Always found that funny.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:12 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,212,790 times
Quote:
Thanks. I'm from East Texas originally, now in Central Texas by way of North Texas, and I say Winds-day. (Had to say it in my head a couple of times.) We should all, of course, be saying Wodenes-dæg.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:12 PM

2,276 posts, read 4,020,553 times
Quote:
Oh, it doesn't bother me, it's just an observation. I love the Texas accent.
When I moved from Houston to "deep East Texas" (halfway through high school), I noticed the kids called pens "INK-PINS"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas