Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 11:08 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig2 View Post
You're absolutely right - definitely on target! I never had much mingling with those from the north, until I moved to my current location (sadly not in TX). A lot of people from the north are relocating to the dumb town where I currently live. So I'm getting a good look at the northern mindset and attitude. It is often a cold, snooty, and high-minded attitude that bears no resemblance to the ways in the south. People are so fake too. There seems to be a requirement in the north about not showing or at least speaking criticism, or any negative moods. So, if there is an issue or problem like in the workplace, they won't outwardly show it (so you don't get that constructive feedback). People will just put on their fake smile as though everything is great, while stabbing you in the back. People also often show no backbone or raise issues up that need to be addressed. That lets things get out of hand. I've noticed to that the cold in the north seems to keep people "inside" in more ways than one, just like the warmth of the south gets people "outside" (in more ways than one).

Yes, there is a lot of ignorance and 19th century thinking in the north when it comes to the south. Apparently many in the north still see the south in the same terms as 150 years ago.
So it's okay for us to make sweeping, dismissive statements about northerners but if they do the same to Texas they're ignorant? Sounds about right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 11:10 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Well played, Gunion!
Well, it wasn't supposed to mean anything, I just thought it was worth pointing out.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:48 AM

470 posts, read 454,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdlord View Post

The invention of AC was critical to the development of the sunbelt. This is not ground breaking information I'm giving here, but studied facts. It's even on the second paragraph of its Wiki page. I'm sorry this is hard for you to swallow, but just acknowledge it and move on.

The Sun Belt has seen substantial population growth since the 1960s from an influx of people seeking a warm and sunny climate, a surge in retiring baby boomers, and growing economic opportunities. The advent of air conditioning made it easier for people to deal with the summertime heat.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Belt

For further reading:
The air conditioner's widespread adoption spelled the demise of front porches, wide eaves and high ceilings. And it fueled the explosive postwar growth ofSunbelt cities like Houston, Phoenix, Las Vegas, and Miami.

How air conditioning changed America | Old House Web

On top of immigration from areas outside the U.S., the Sun Belt's population also grew via migration from other parts of the U.S. in the 1970s. This was due to the invention of affordable and effective air conditioning.
Sunbelt U.S States History and Overview

With the advent of air conditioning, however, year-round comfort became possible in both regions.
Sun Belt Facts, information, pictures | Encyclopedia.com articles about Sun Belt

http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-10-0...cted-president

How air conditioning remade modern America - Salon.com
I'm not disputing the comfort factor A/C provided. But it still stands that cities like Houston still could have grown and thrived even without A/C.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:30 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
So it's okay for us to make sweeping, dismissive statements about northerners but if they do the same to Texas they're ignorant? Sounds about right.
Well, I previously had a very open and positive view of those from the north. I had no reason to think anything less of them. Now my eyes have been opened through personal experience, and I clearly see both worlds (north and south). Whether you agree or not is irrelevant. What I described is what I've encountered. You can't rewrite what has happened. The pattern has even repeated a number of times, with people from various states, and I see it wasn't just a few people or a small sampling.

I'n not even saying anything about the people themselves. They can't help it if they have adopted their ways and culture from their ancestors. I'm just glad I was raised in the south. I'll never take that for granted again...

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 08-08-2016 at 01:05 PM..

Old 08-08-2016, 01:33 PM

275 posts, read 469,627 times
Sunderpig - out of curiousity, what part of the North are they coming from?

Old 08-08-2016, 01:41 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
I spent most of my life in NC. Northeasterners were and still are moving there en masse. Many of them are great, but some of them are rude and demanding. I guess this clashes with Southerners because Southerners have always been known as "bless your heart" people or backstabbing. They'll talk nice to your face, then as soon as you walk away, start talking crap. Northerners are straight forward and blunt.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:52 PM

Lepoisson, I'm from the North and you could not have said it better. I'm used to people being straight forward with me and telling it like it is. Down here, people will lie straight to your face and can be so fake. I know there are people who lie and are fake everywhere, but I have encountered it more down here. The best are those that lie but make sure they are in church every Sunday. Makes me laugh.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:05 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
It's a double edged sword but the acting polite under all circumstances is not necessarily being fake, it's to keep things cordial. In a lot of ways it works but for some people they are just using it to be fake. While I prefer bluntness, the caveat to that is that in the northeast they mistake being cynical and rude for "being real". That really grates me and they suspect anyone of being nice and happy with their lives as being phony because in their eyes people are supposed to be cynical and miserable or something to that effect.

Overall even with all the flaws I prefer the southern way of life because I personally value keeping things as cordial and ordered as possible regardless of how fake some people are. Id rather have that than this bluntness where people just mouth off whatever they please because a lot could be misinterpreted.
Texas though has both bluntness and southern hospitality. Although the bluntness is more constructive in my opinion. In the NE it's a way to appear smart alecky. They're all playing these games with each other to see who looks the more clever one. I lived in Boston and couldn't stand the social life interactions there. Very surly, cynical and everyone thought they were a snappy smart alecky comedian.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:28 PM

I think it really depends on where and how you grew up and the values you were raised with and what you are used to. I think a lot can be misinterpreted from people being polite and not really saying what they mean or are thinking. I prefer bluntness and knowing where I stand. Two different point of views, neither right or wrong. It's crazy to me how different the North and South are. It's like 2 different countries. I have never been to Boston so I do not know how people are there.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:42 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Exactly. It's all about your values and where you grew up. I grew up in southeast Texas, it's pretty southern. I prefer southern values of being as cordial and polite as possible but without being fake. I'm genuine. I can be blunt but it's not rude and meant to be constructive not destructive. Some northeasterners will see that as being "fake"or at least "naive". They'll think I'm not clever but I play wise as a serpent, but innocent as a dove. I was always of the impression that you capture more bees with honey. Being a jerk does nothing and claiming to "be real" does even less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas