Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 02:48 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,614,645 times

Advertisements

Adding in my .02 worth. Native Texan, 48 yrs old, Coke collector...for what that's worth. haha

In addition to understanding that CocaCola was the sole brand for years and has a very strong lead in recognizability, it also was the only one marketed for years with such great visibility.

Early on when vending machines became popular and new flavors come on the market, all flavors were sold in a 'CocaCola' vending machine. Same goes for the coolers offering drinks. So it was very natural when stopping at a convenience store, for example, to ask what kind of 'Coke' do you want? Coke simply represents any carbonated beverage here in Texas. If one wants to be really technical then asking for a Coke would not get you anything at all.....you'd have to ask for a CocaCola. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 10:02 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,095 times
i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I honestly cannot answer that question. I never noticed it before until you said it but then realized that it made total sense.

Honestly, blacks share things culturally and lingusistically many times everywhere outside New York. For example, Black Chicagoans refer to the drink as pop but their dialect confused with someone from Mississippi. Very interesting is somebody puts some research into all of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Well, I think several us agreed that soda-water or sody-pop is ok!
I started saying "icebox" cuz that's what hubby says. Also, "ticket" instead of check as bellestar mentioned. Soda-water or sody-pop is what he says, too. I've always said soda or coke.

Spade, it's because years ago, many blacks went from the South to the North in the "Great Migration". Their parents or grandparents or even great-grandparents came from the South, that's why the similarities.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:11 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
A friend of mine in Texas puts Skittles in Sprite.
they wouldn't happen to add codeine into that mix would they?...a little texas tea??

Old 02-26-2008, 06:02 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
they wouldn't happen to add codeine into that mix would they?...a little texas tea??
LOL this opens up a whole new ballgame. I am surprised this wasn't brought up sooner. The original coke did indeed contain traces of cocaine due to the coca leaves (cocaine plant) used when making it. I know when they went from the small bottle (either 6 or 7 oz.) to the big bottle (10 oz, I believe), my mother swore it wasn't nearly as strong tasting. Maybe this is when they stopped using the coca leaves.

Later on when they changed the recipe and it just didn't fly, so they went back to what they said was the orginal recipe, calling it coke classic. This was not the orginal recipe as the orginal contain sugar, coke classic contains high fructose corn syrup. As far as the real orginal recipe, it certainly isn't what they're making today.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:35 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,583 times
I've lived here my whole life and say Soda.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:49 AM

lonestar2007, I can taste the difference between Dr Pepper with real sugar vs the high fructose corn syrup. From what I've read, manufacturers switched from sugar in the 70's or so, I think, due to rising sugar costs. Problem is, they are finding out that high fructose corn syrup is really bad for your body. It's in so many things these days, too. They need to start banning it like they banned trans fats recently. I was dismayed when I bought a moon pie recently, having not had one in years, and checked the ingredients only when I got home. High fructose corn syrup!

Old 02-27-2008, 09:54 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
I've lived here for nearly my entire life and call all soft drinks "coke". My dad does as well, but sometimes he'll say "sody". I've got one sister who does like I do, and one who calls everything by it's brand name. My mom calls everything coke, too. I wish companies would start putting regular sugar back into things. I know tons of sugar can't be good for you, but I'd rather have that than something developed in a chemical plant or a food lab.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:41 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
lonestar2007, I can taste the difference between Dr Pepper with real sugar vs the high fructose corn syrup. From what I've read, manufacturers switched from sugar in the 70's or so, I think, due to rising sugar costs. Problem is, they are finding out that high fructose corn syrup is really bad for your body. It's in so many things these days, too. They need to start banning it like they banned trans fats recently. I was dismayed when I bought a moon pie recently, having not had one in years, and checked the ingredients only when I got home. High fructose corn syrup!

I'm with you on that one Blueskies, sugar for me anyday. You bet you can taste the difference in not only the Cokes but the Dr. Pepper's. They sell the Dublin Dr. Pepper around here and the last time I looked, it contain sugar. It does tastes different and so much better!

Old 02-27-2008, 06:07 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
I'm with you on that one Blueskies, sugar for me anyday. You bet you can taste the difference in not only the Cokes but the Dr. Pepper's. They sell the Dublin Dr. Pepper around here and the last time I looked, it contain sugar. It does tastes different and so much better!
Yes, the Dublin REAL Sugar Dr Pepper is still available. There is actually a mexican food restaurant in Garland that serves them. YUM!!! They taste SOOOOO GOOOOOD! I'm a pure sugar person myself. It IS a natural product whereas the other stuff is manmade.

You are also right on about the Moon Pies............ they don't taste near as good as they did back then. The best ones I can find now are those huge double decker Moon Pies.

Mrs. Baird's............. does anyone remember a pastry that Mrs. Baird's used to have back in the 60's & 70's and on up until about 1990? It was one per package and it was flat and round. Chocolate cake w/ cream in it covered in chocolate and some nuts on top. They were my FAVORITE!!!!!!!!!!! Loved those things better than DingDongs (cold dingdongs rule) and Snowballs. My kids don't like Snowballs

Old 02-28-2008, 09:31 AM

Hm, momof2, I don't remember that pastry.

Sometimes the Kroger I shop at in Arlington carries the Dublin Dr Pepper. Also, there is a Chicken Express by the Big Daddy's Liquor off Eastchase and I-30 in Fort Worth that sells the fountain Dr Pepper which is the Dublin. Sometimes when I'm out running errands in that area I will go thru the drive-thru just for the drink!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas