Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2008, 11:42 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
Hm, momof2, I don't remember that pastry.

Sometimes the Kroger I shop at in Arlington carries the Dublin Dr Pepper. Also, there is a Chicken Express by the Big Daddy's Liquor off Eastchase and I-30 in Fort Worth that sells the fountain Dr Pepper which is the Dublin. Sometimes when I'm out running errands in that area I will go thru the drive-thru just for the drink!
We always get the Dublin Dr. Pepper at the Chicken Express in Burleson even though I like their ice tea, the DP always wins out.

Momof2, I do remember that pastry and it was good. I guess even over the chocolate cupcakes, the cherry, chocolate and pineapple pies and all the other little goodies Mrs. Baird's puts out, the little powdered sugar donuts are probably my favorite. For some reason, I love those things. It's funny, my sister cannot stand them. But to me, they go so good with coke and well as coffee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 12:04 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,711 times
Oooh, yes, the little powdered sugar donuts! I try to eat healthier these days but those are my favorite!

Old 02-28-2008, 05:56 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
My aunt and uncle ran a little grocery store in a certain section of Dallas for a while. My aunt used to keep hot links cooking all the time, hot link sandwiches were a big seller. Of course Big Red's, orange sodas, grape sodas, etc. sold good too. But, I will never forget her laughing and telling us the biggest selling soft drink was the RC, except when most of her customers asked for it, they also wanted a peanut patty to go with it and this is how they mainly asked for it...."Gimme one of those RoC's and a peanut rounder".

I had forgotten about RC's. Do they still make them? I've drank my share of them, although to me, they were sweeter than Cokes and I liked Coke better. I hadn't thought about Moon Pies in a long time, but actually saw some at the store a while back.
Yep there's still RCs

Old 02-28-2008, 06:04 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back2TX View Post
Oh I love coke floats and frosted coke. I'm temporarily in KY and went to DQ this summer and asked them if they could make me a frosted coke. They looked at me as if I had fallen off my rocker. I wonder if they still make them in the TX DQs. (Frosted cokes are coke and ice cream blended together with a mixer... even better than coke floats.)

And as far as asking if anyone wanted a coke.... I meant it literally at my house... that's all I had in my fridge. Never cared to drink any other carbonated drink.
yeah frosted cokes are a new one to me but I bet they would know what a coke float is! By the way, where in Louisville are you?

Old 02-28-2008, 06:14 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Some people say "cokes" instead of soda. But it's used in a general sense. Like, "Let's stop at the next icehouse and get some cokes." But you still have to be specific when you ask for one. The same with people who say soda.

I grew up in San Antonio and have always said "soda." Some Mexicans say "soda water."

I've been up north and heard people say "pop." That sounds strange.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:06 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I LOVE frosted cokes, but haven't had one in years. My grandpa used to make his step great granddaughter frosted cokes at home as a treat, but I never bothered to ask him how exactly he made them and now that he's gone, it's definitely too late. I guess I'll have to do my own experiments! The only things he ever made me were scrambled eggs and cactus and coffee! Although, he did teach me to make margaritas and vodka tonics and bloody mary's. Things that nowadays people would have a hernia over kids learning, but people in his generation thought nothing of. Note:We weren't allowed to drink them My mom used to take us to Freeport to an A&W Rootbeer stand for rootbeer floats during the summer when it was still a tiny operation. I guess that's what started my lifelong love of Rootbeer.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:54 PM

402 posts, read 1,016,277 times
Texans...Lone Star State...they definalty have their own ways of doing, saying things. Although, I don't think they are not that unique after having lived there and everywhere else.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:06 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Speaking of "frosted cokes" and the like, there is nothing like an old-fashioned soda fountain which serves the variations, made with syrup and carbonated water on the premises. Sadly, they are almost extinct. The Skillern's chain (which became Eckerd's) used to have great goodies like that.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:45 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
The only things he ever made me were scrambled eggs and cactus and coffee!
Cactus? What do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post
Texans...Lone Star State...they definalty have their own ways of doing, saying things. Although, I don't think they are not that unique after having lived there and everywhere else.
Where else have you lived? Texas is definitely not unique in some things, you are right. Since it was settled by Southerners, Texas has alot in common with the rest of the South.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:32 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
Cactus? What do you mean?
Have you never had nopales?

We're stuck on nopales (http://www.azcentral.com/home/food/mexico/articles/0624nopales24.html - broken link)

I'm not a huge fan, but they're all right. Some say it has many health benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas