Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2008, 09:11 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Actually, Belle, I've spotted some in my end of the state. They can be found at Central Market locations in D/FW.
Oh, really, case? I was just at the Central Market in Fort Worth on Saturday. I don't drink any kind of cokes much but sometimes I get a hankering for one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 09:37 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,440,815 times
In Boston, especially the North Shore, them Yankees refer to Cokes (aka soda, pop) as 'tonic'.

Imagine my surprise when I was asked if I wanted a tonic... I was thinking quinine and gin

For the RC and Moon Pie lovers:

Quote:
June 21, 2008
RC and MOON PIE FESTIVAL
A jam packed day of fun for the whole family awaits you. There is plenty of country and bluegrass music, clogging dancers, Moon Pie games, crafts, and the ever popular "Synchronized Wading Extravaganza". Cutting of the world's largest Moon Pie rounds out the day.
Bell Buckle Chamber of Commerce/ Events (http://www.bellbucklechamber.com/events.html - broken link)

Old 03-14-2008, 02:54 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
I only brought up BMW because someone, I forget who, mentioned that Coke had a huge influence on the "south" thus every soft drink became "coke" similarily BMW's headquartered here in Greenville, therefore having an influence on the community. So using the flawed logic that all sodas should be called coke, all cars here in SC should be called BMW's.
Actually a couple of things. 1) BMW North America may be in Greenville. BMW's corporate head office is in Munich. 2) There are large sections of the world where "Ford" is a generic description for a car/truck.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:52 PM

731 posts, read 1,368,071 times
When I order a coke, I usually get a Dr. Pepper.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:37 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
This comes as a complete surprise to me. I lived in Austin for 22 years, Ft Worth for a total of almost 7 years, in Beaumont for a year, Lubbock for 3 years, and various other places in the state when I was a younger kid. I always thought "Coke" meant a Coca-Cola and nothing else. No one that I knew confused it with Dr Pepper, Orange Crush, grape soda, Upper Ten, Seven Up or any other soft drink! This is either some kind of extremely regionalised thing, a social class thing, or a generational thing.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:06 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
I still think "coke" when I actually say "soda". I (and many others) refer to photo-copying as "Xeroxing" as well. Language is funny that way and it reflects the uniqueness/quirkiness of people. I think its great.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:22 AM

86 posts, read 199,130 times
Argh....I hear people use 'coke' referring to soda in general all the time, so annoying. Even though I've been born and raised here in Texas, I say 'soda' and *gasp* 'soft drink'. I'll catch a strange look now and then....*sigh* Can't wait to get out of East Texas.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:49 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
Maybe it's an East Texas thing? If they used it that way in Beaumont (SE TX), I was either oblivious to it or have simply forgotten. Maybe not really being a soft drink enthusiast accounts for my lack of knowledge about this. Could this also be an educational artifact? Don't kill me for asking that, but maybe people in my little elitist part of the professional world in Texas simply didn't use "coke" as a general tag for all soft drinks.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:56 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
I don't know if this has been said before (I'm not going to read all 15 pages), but some people call a soft drink "coke" like Kleenex is used for a tissue or Xerox used for "to copy". Or is that regional also?

Old 08-14-2009, 12:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITChick View Post
That's interesting. I noticed that too when I spent time in Houston last year.
I made the mistake of asking one of the clerks at a grocery store there where the "Pop" aisle was, and although she looked at me funny (I'm a midwesterner and that's what we call it), she said to me, "I know what you're talking about, because I'm from Michigan, so follow me!".
Next time ask whre the soda waters are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas