Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2012, 06:21 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,964,944 times

Advertisements

This isn't just a Texas thing. We do the same thing in Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 11:13 AM

875 posts, read 1,660,850 times
I grew up calling it soda. But my parents call it soda water.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:12 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
This isn't just a Texas thing. We do the same thing in Mississippi.
Correct . It is not just a Texas thing, but a generally Southern thing.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Not if the poll was run correctly.

It's a common mistake, thinking a poll is wrong because it doesn't match your personal experience, but let's face it... your personal experience is only ONE PERSON'S!
LOL Whaddya know? We agree on something!

Old 03-24-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Nah. It's just that you and JJG are Black. Because I never EVER heard the term either growing up in Central Texas. We all either said Soda or the name of the Soda. We didn't say Orange pop or Orange coke. We said Orange soda. All of my friends and family said soda as well.
^^^

This post by Spade contains a lot of good summation and insight as to the relevency of the map (and other surveys back it up as well, not just this one). Matter of fact, it has been discussed before...and yep, there is a certain issue of black/white that comes into it.

My experience has been that most native whites in Texas will use the generic term "coke" to refer to a soft-drink...whereas most native black Texans will say "soda." And not trying to pump any sunshine up my own skirt, but my profession is teaching and -- given the nature of my job assignement -- a significant percentage of my co-workers/students are African-American. As it is to connect? I have actually done a few informal "surveys" on this one (cos that is type thing people like me do informally! LOL), and it pretty much confirms the same. To wit: Most black friends/students say "soda" and most whites say "coke".

But to interject two tantgental points?

For one, several have mentioned how the 'times are 'a changin" and the influence of the mass media and national mobility has had a tremendous impact on regional accent/dialect/idiom. A "something" that -- again, several have mentioned and I definitely agree with -- contains an element of sadness. In MHO, it is lamentable if the trend continues that all Americans begin to speak alike with that bland beta talk of talking news heads...

The other strays a bit more...but it is that some seem to misunderstand/misapply the real point of all this. That is, the "generic" term" for a soft drink being most popular in Texas/South... and interpret it as if it is the norm for those who, say, want a root beer...to call it a "coke."

At least the way I see it (which I know don't mean jack to joe), the point is that is generic in a broad sense. In other words, in our state/region, if someone asks the question "Do any of y'all want a coke?"...it is generally understood the meaning involves more than Coca-Cola. Also, if one goes into a grocery store and asks "What isles are the cokes on?" Then most native Texans take it to mean where can I find the soft-drinks. Or? If one goes into some joint and asks, "what kind of cokes do y'all have?" Then it is generally understood, the term includes all soft drinks. Soooo? The guy/gal behind the counter will say -- without hesitation -- something like "Coke, Dr. Pepper, Pepsi, Sprite, etc...." LOL

Fer gosh sakes, it doesn't mean that if one wants a 7-Up, that they ask for a coke in the sense it needs explained to them! LOL

Last edited by TexasReb; 03-24-2012 at 10:36 AM..

Old 03-24-2012, 10:33 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
So basically, when we have kids and they're about our age, then pretty much everyone will be saying "soda" instead of "Coke" to refer to all soft drinks?

Old 03-24-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
So basically, when we have kids and they're about our age, then pretty much everyone will be saying "soda" instead of "Coke" to refer to all soft drinks?
I'd say that it is at least a consideration to be contemplated!

OR...perhaps it can be that -- in exchange -- the yankees will all be saying "y'all" instead of "you guys". LOL

Personally, I don't think it is a fair trade.

Our dialect/idiom is best...lyrically lovely and full of the traits of good story telling! Texas/South should keep being Texas/South in all ways!

Old 03-24-2012, 11:35 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,468 times
Think of it as this, do you ask.for a Kleenex or a tissue? That's exactly how it started, Coke was big in the South and became synonymous with all soda for people of that era who then "passed" it down to future generations. On the other hand my Ex-SIL's mom said Pampers instead of diaper and it drove me nuts!

Old 03-24-2012, 11:59 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
Think of it as this, do you ask.for a Kleenex or a tissue? That's exactly how it started, Coke was big in the South and became synonymous with all soda for people of that era who then "passed" it down to future generations. On the other hand my Ex-SIL's mom said Pampers instead of diaper and it drove me nuts!
I don't think so. People tend to often use both Kleenex and Tissue. Myself say both pampers and diapers. However, I believe soda is the more popular word around Texas. Even at the grocery stores on the aisle markers; it says soda. You'd think otherwise looking at that map.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:40 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
Exactly. Also Xerox (which became such a problem that Xerox made an issue of it, IIRC). It's a pretty well-documented phenomenon. Even if you don't like the map that says that most people don't do it the way you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas