Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2006, 01:54 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,134,540 times

Advertisements

I guess Amarillo is not a popular destination. I noticed no city section for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2006, 02:35 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,907,540 times
It all depends on what you like, as far as destinations go. Texas is such a large state that Amarillo has probably fallen a bit by the wayside. If you like wide open spaces, low humidity, and four full seasons Amarillo is the place for you, and I mean that sincerely. The summers in Amarillo aren't as hot/humid as North Texas, or the Gulf Coast/East Texas, and if you like winter you'll get your fill of it in Amarillo because it can get mighty cold with plenty of snow.

Old 11-27-2006, 02:49 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,615,889 times
I 'visit' Amarillo once a year...on my way skiing in CO or NM .

Old 11-27-2006, 09:00 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,664,894 times
Default Amarillo City-Data Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I guess Amarillo is not a popular destination. I noticed no city section for it.
Amarillo is not a large metropolitan area, thus no sub-forum. You can go to city-data's Amarillo page, scroll down until you see links to postings about Amarillo in this forum.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:48 AM

74 posts, read 366,955 times
Yes, Amarillo does have wide open spaces and it is GROWING and fast. I would say they have four full seasons IF you are comparing it to other parts of our Lone Star State. However, people who move here who are used to a real winter often laugh at our idea of "winter." The exception? This year we have had a humdinger (for here.) The last four years or so, it has only been spurts so most of us are mighty glad we had this year. The kiddies have had so much fun with enough snow to actually do something in - so its been special. We are a nice city with the usual growing pains, we have our cliques and problems like everywhere else but as many on this forum say, if you are nice to people it generally comes back to you too. We have loads of new people from all over and I think the city is much nicer than it used to be. Many oldtimers agree with that also.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:15 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,102 times
I'd pick Amarllo as one of my favorite cities in Texas. Definitely the FRIENDLIEST city in Texas, with Ft Worth coming in second.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:37 AM

74 posts, read 366,955 times
I agree Fort Worth is a friendly place too - again, a place with lots of newcomers. The newcomers know what is like to have been "new" once and they go out of their way to be kind. I was in one state (I better not say which) for six months on business. The natural beauty was BREATHTAKING - unbelievable. However, as it was very expensive, few if any new people ever moved there. Therefore, the small city was NOT friendly. As I was there longer, I broke the ice. (I love people, eventually, I usually "warm up" everybody) I realized they were not mean or basically "un"friendly. They just had been there all their lives, with all that beauty and everything they needed, had never wanted to go anywhere else and could not relate to people who were new. They didn't know what it felt like to be "new" at church or even to be alone in a town. Texas is so big, we are just welcoming because most people are all from someplace else!!

Old 01-09-2010, 06:51 PM

2 posts, read 5,957 times
We are relocating from Houston to Amarillo. 2 children so trying to make a wise decision on High Schools--Tascosa or Amarillo High?? Any feedback would be great. Neighborhoods we are looking in are the Woodlands, La Paloma, Puckett & Olsen.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:31 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,571,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchatham View Post
We are relocating from Houston to Amarillo. 2 children so trying to make a wise decision on High Schools--Tascosa or Amarillo High?? Any feedback would be great. Neighborhoods we are looking in are the Woodlands, La Paloma, Puckett & Olsen.
I'm not from Amarillo, but I can tell you that by far Amarillo High is the better high school. It has an International Baccalaureate program, which is usually a good indication of higher academic standards. I haven't heard much good about Tascosa from any of people I've known that went there. I can't really speak about the neighborhoods.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
It is popular but there are only so many sub sections and it isn't really big enough. I happen to love Amarillo and if we were to move back to Texas (of course that isn't going to happen) we would look there before anywhere else.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas