Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 09:13 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times

Advertisements

No I have not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 08:14 AM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Hard to believe anyone would turn AC off in Texas in the summer, but I know everyone's heat tolerance is different. We kept AC on 65 when we lived there and almost never turned it off.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:29 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Hard to believe anyone would turn AC off in Texas in the summer, but I know everyone's heat tolerance is different. We kept AC on 65 when we lived there and almost never turned it off.
I am similar to you. We are very liberal users of our HVAC system and keep our temps at around 72 year round. If that means the AC or Heat is almost always running, so be it. I am willing to pay any amount for that comfort.

It wasn't until we started living elsewhere that we realized that there's definitely a Regional aspect at play, and a lot of how often you use AC depends on where you grow up. We lived in Denver for 3 years until recently, and I remember my neighbor once making an offhand (but not necessarily critical) comment about our AC running a lot in the Summer. People there often open windows and save use of AC until it gets pretty warm, even though Denver has a fair amount of days where temps are at, or near, 90 (which I consider "pretty warm"). After that, I started to make more liberal use of windows, but nothing like my neighbors. Heck, we are now back in Texas, and the windows in our house don't even have screens or open up.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:29 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I am similar to you. We are very liberal users of our HVAC system and keep our temps at around 72 year round. If that means the AC or Heat is almost always running, so be it. I am willing to pay any amount for that comfort.

It wasn't until we started living elsewhere that we realized that there's definitely a Regional aspect at play, and a lot of how often you use AC depends on where you grow up. We lived in Denver for 3 years until recently, and I remember my neighbor once making an offhand (but not necessarily critical) comment about our AC running a lot in the Summer. People there often open windows and save use of AC until it gets pretty warm, even though Denver has a fair amount of days where temps are at, or near, 90 (which I consider "pretty warm"). After that, I started to make more liberal use of windows, but nothing like my neighbors. Heck, we are now back in Texas, and the windows in our house don't even have screens or open up.
I encourage most Southerners to live up North for at least 4 years and they will reconsider their A/C use.

The warmest I've ever been was up north in the winter going to college and one of the professors kept the classroom heater at 85 when it was 0 outside.

The coldest I've ever been was down south when one of my high school teachers kept the A/C at 62 when it was 105 out.

My body has learned to acclimate since I've lived and traveled all over the world. I can sleep in as cold as 58 and as high as 82 indoors without problems. When the power goes out, it really doesn't bother me. I guess I'm just one of those hardy souls.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:36 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

The coldest I've ever been was down south when one of my high school teachers kept the A/C at 62 when it was 105 out.
The coldest house I ever lived in was in New Orleans while in grad school and we didn't have central air and the only heating was through one large vent on the floor in the living room waaaay far away from the bedrooms. My roommate and I used to stand on top of the grate and let the warm up blow on up. When I went to bed, I would wear multiple layers and use tons of blankets.

That memory still makes me laugh.

Old 08-20-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
The coldest house I ever lived in was in New Orleans while in grad school and we didn't have central air and the only heating was through one large vent on the floor in the living room waaaay far away from the bedrooms. My roommate and I used to stand on top of the grate and let the warm up blow on up. When I went to bed, I would wear multiple layers and use tons of blankets.

That memory still makes me laugh.
New Orleans is miserably cold in the winter. Cold, wet, and the circa 1700-1800 buildings have leaks all over. When I visit in the winter I make sure I choose a modern hotel with good insulation and more importantly, central heating.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:12 AM

470 posts, read 454,928 times
Quote:
New Orleans is miserably cold in the winter. Cold, wet, and the circa 1700-1800 buildings have leaks all over. When I visit in the winter I make sure I choose a modern hotel with good insulation and more importantly, central heating.
An average high/low of 62F/45F is not cold at all.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
An average high/low of 62F/45F is not cold at all.
45F without heat or with a leaky building is cold.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:17 AM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
45F without heat or with a leaky building is cold.
Not to me. I don't need heat till it's in the 30's

Old 08-21-2016, 01:28 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
It's way too humid for my to turn off my a/c, and it still over 80 most afternoons.
I agree, way to humid. And now the mold count is high so best to keep the windows closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas