Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:09 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

That would be Jarrell, where we'd just moved in August '96 before the F5 hit in May '97. Just wiped out a neighborhood, actually, but that was more than enough. Fortunately, tornadoes are rare occurrences.

We're at the very bottom of tornado alley, so we get some, but not like further north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 08:28 AM

216 posts, read 934,856 times
The area around Crockett, TX is loaded with working ranches. Might be another worth checking into.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:21 PM

4 posts, read 14,218 times
Default thanks

thank you all for your input, good suggestions!!

Old 03-03-2008, 11:46 AM

6 posts, read 35,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wppaints View Post
Ok, well what I am looking for may not exist, but I would like to move to a small(er) town (I live in Las Vegas and its so NOT me)....I breed and sell horses and sometimes show so I would like to be in an area where there are other horse trainers/people/barns, etc in the area..would like property with grass/pasture...need a job with salary high enough to pay for it, still single, 30s Christian woman so some social activity and friendly NICE people would be nice....not a fan of tornados, snow or rattlesnakes....I know thats a lot of requirements but...we dont have tornados or snow here, and the weather is nice 75% of the year which is the one reason I stayed 12 years..but we do have LOTS of traffic (and rattlesnakes) and super high priced property, little moral/family value structure and more fake women than a Mattel Barbie collection. I would love to live somewhere that is smaller, and more country with normal people who have old fashioned values...I can handle the hot weather but the twisters..I dont know. Anyone who can point me in the right direction would be awesome.
Don,t make a decision until you consider Uvalde County. Do some research and see if Uvalde and Uvalde County might be what you are looking for as a home.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:34 AM

340 posts, read 645,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
There are counties in Texas that have much less of a tornado chance than others. Some of them are:

Mason
Menard
Mills
Llano
Gillespie
Real
Kimble
Lampasas

Rattlesnakes are in Texas, but I'd rather have them than the threat of tornadoes. Snow is minimal in the above areas and something that doesn't happen every year.
You listed some good ones. My question is, how exactly do some cities have a lesser chance of tornadoes? Are you looking at it historically? As far as I know, cities in central Texas stand an equal chance of getting struck by a tornado. Topography such as hills or rivers factor little-to-zero in the formation and destruction potential of a tornado.

Some cities that I am comparing for a possible move to the area include:
Bandera
Buchanan Dam
Canyon Lake
Fredericksburg
Ingram
Johnson City
Kerrville
Kingsland
Lampasas
Llano
Marble Falls
Tolar
Walnut Springs

They should all have a population of less than 20,000, even though population may not necessarily go hand-in-hand with small-town values. I grew up in a city of less than 8,000 and I am wanting to keep it that way. Good luck on your findings and I hope you are able to relocate and have a prosperous business in Texas.

-Mark

Old 03-23-2008, 04:23 PM

11 posts, read 39,042 times
Recently moved to Stephenville, Cowboy Capital of the World, from Wyoming with our horses to be in TX horse country-3 major arenas and trail riding 15-45 minutes away; Ft. Worth Will Rodgers Colesium, the historic Stockyards, Dallas, and MAJOR shopping about 1 1/2 hrs. Alot of PBR and PRCA "legends" call it home; Tarleton State University; Harris Methodist Hospital, Cowboy Churches and a small town atmosphere. We don't see tornados or many rattlers in this area-it's grassy, hill country-the big storms seem to pass North of here up towards Mineral Wells, Denton, Decatur areas. However, not to say you wouldn't see one or the other once in a while and just a little snow! Generally, the further West of I-35 you go the drier it will be; East is pretty rainy country but, great grass for horses. Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 03-24-2008 at 11:07 AM..

Old 03-23-2008, 05:08 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
i like Lampasas ALOT. matter of fact, i went there to grocery shop today, and is where i do most of my shopping because it is not crowded and very few GI's...
beautiful town, i posted pics of the natural springs public swimming pool in middle of town and the river.
also i like Gatesville and Hamilton-check them out too. Gatesville is more blue collar, more working class than Lampasas but still very country and cowboy'd up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergencyOps View Post
You listed some good ones. My question is, how exactly do some cities have a lesser chance of tornadoes? Are you looking at it historically? As far as I know, cities in central Texas stand an equal chance of getting struck by a tornado. Topography such as hills or rivers factor little-to-zero in the formation and destruction potential of a tornado.

Some cities that I am comparing for a possible move to the area include:
Bandera
Buchanan Dam
Canyon Lake
Fredericksburg
Ingram
Johnson City
Kerrville
Kingsland
Lampasas
Llano
Marble Falls
Tolar
Walnut Springs

They should all have a population of less than 20,000, even though population may not necessarily go hand-in-hand with small-town values. I grew up in a city of less than 8,000 and I am wanting to keep it that way. Good luck on your findings and I hope you are able to relocate and have a prosperous business in Texas.

-Mark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas