Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2016, 01:14 AM

515 posts, read 558,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Man74 View Post
yes the money in Dallas is very very good, if you can put up with the people and "soullessness" of the city
I don't find much of a difference in the people I've met in Dallas, the native Texans are pretty much the same, I haven't encountered the soullessness in Dallas that you speak of. In fact, couldn't ask for a better group of co-workers.

Now, back where I grew up at in California, I can show you some cold-hearted soullessness (is that even a word? Lol).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 06:03 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyschic View Post
I was about to say the same thing, for some reason this person seems relentless to just keep posting nonsense and making assumptions, which she is very good at!

We went down there and we didn't have one ounce of problem with talking to people, the people seemed real nice there.
I wasn't talking about being able to get around or being a tourist. I was talking about marketability in a job market that where about 60 percent of the population are bilingual.

Think.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Strange assumption on your part. I studied Spanish in college and have visited San Antonio numerous times, but never felt like I needed to use Spanish to communicate with anyone there. Same was true of Laredo.

Perhaps your experience was different.
See above. Once again, I'm not talking about visiting San Antonio. I'm talking to a person who is having some difficulty with employment - a person who is moving to a city that is about 60 percent bilingual, and marketability in that particular job market.

It seems that it would be obvious that being bilingual would increase one's employment marketability in San Antonio considerably.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
LOL! What an ignorant statement.
So you don't think that being bilingual in a city that is about 60 percent bilingual would be a serious asset on the job?

The OP is having a hard time with employment. Being bilingual would level the playing field in a city like San Antonio.

Let's just put it this way. If I was a hiring manager in San Antonio, and two people with the same credentials showed up to interview, but one was bilingual - I'd probably choose the bilingual person.

San Antonio is a great city. In fact, we visit there often. I personally love the Hispanic influence there. But the fact of the matter is that the city has a huge Hispanic presence and being bilingual is not only an asset, but would be almost a requirement in many jobs there.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:27 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
So you don't think that being bilingual in a city that is about 60 percent bilingual would be a serious asset on the job?

The OP is having a hard time with employment. Being bilingual would level the playing field in a city like San Antonio.

Let's just put it this way. If I was a hiring manager in San Antonio, and two people with the same credentials showed up to interview, but one was bilingual - I'd probably choose the bilingual person.

San Antonio is a great city. In fact, we visit there often. I personally love the Hispanic influence there. But the fact of the matter is that the city has a huge Hispanic presence and being bilingual is not only an asset, but would be almost a requirement in many jobs there.
Heck, this was even the case in Austin back in the day when I paid attention to employment ads. Being bilingual is often a plus, if not a requirement, for jobs where there is a high or even relatively high ratio of Hispanic citizens.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:01 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It's a big plus when it comes to employment ANYWHERE in Texas to be bilingual.
In much of Texas, speaking Spanish is definitely an advantage, but that's true of most major American cities, today. It sounded as if you were singling out SA, where Spanish is probably of less use than it is in Houston.

The Tejanos in SA are heavily Americanized. You'll meet a lot of the younger ones that may even know less Spanish than you do.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:22 PM

50 posts, read 56,185 times
If you want a city where it is easy for a couple to develop professional careers and build up their wealth... move out of Austin.

As has been stated by many posters: The job market in Austin is over saturated.

You might say: 'But I want to live in a 'cool' city'.

Well, in that case stay there.

I was born and raised in Austin and still see many positives but simply had to move in order to progress past service level jobs.

I can't really say much about Dallas/San Antonio/Houston except that I live in Houston and find it has a much more practical outlook on life than Austin does. Austin to me is like a mirage which appears as many different things to many people but really is none of those things.

As far as the attitude of people in Austin I have not spent much time there lately but on the past visits I did notice tension between people who I grew up with and other recent transplants.

Some drunk girl at the bar I was at last time was digging on native Austinites and how lame they are... I asked what city she was from. I can't remember exactly what it was but it was a place I had never heard of in Arizona. I asked her what she thought about the natives of that city and she didn't have much of an answer.

All in all people living in and moving to Austin are dealing with some stressful life situations. It is natural for this to boil over into antagonism but it doesn't mean it is enjoyable.

I guess thats why they call them 'growing pains'.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:49 PM

394 posts, read 435,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornraider View Post
I don't find much of a difference in the people I've met in Dallas, the native Texans are pretty much the same, I haven't encountered the soullessness in Dallas that you speak of. In fact, couldn't ask for a better group of co-workers.

Now, back where I grew up at in California, I can show you some cold-hearted soullessness (is that even a word? Lol).
You've got to get out then lol

Or just actually "live in" all the cities

You will be able to tell a difference in personalities if you lived in them

Yes most of us native Texans are the same... But there's probably the least natives in Dallas actually lol

Old 09-29-2016, 01:31 PM

394 posts, read 435,113 times
Being bi or even tri lingual will always be a plus...

If you are fluent in Engish, Spanish, and Chinese for example... you will be VERY marketable throughout the world

Old 09-29-2016, 02:17 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,228,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
San Antonio is more socially conservative, but it's a fiscally liberal city that mostly elects Democrats who, ultimately, vote for socially liberal ordinances.
Ouch.....sorry to hear it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas