Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2016, 12:47 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,270,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Why didn't you do this research before you moved here??
I think it's worth repeating
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 01:08 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyschic View Post
This goes to you and Falconheadwest
Before I get to your comments: Columbus actually has two pro sports teams and 3 other major stadiums (which I initially forgot about because I am not into soccer at all), which means Columbus has 5 major stadiums, and Austin is lucky to have 2 and from what I hear Nolan Ryan may pull out the RR express, which may leave Austin down to only one. My My, I mean it may not matter to you, but to many other Americans it does matter.
Here are the 5 major stadiums:
About MAPFRE Stadium | Columbus Crew SC

Welcome to Nationwide Arena!

Huntington Park: Home of the Columbus Clippers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_Stadium

The best stadium in the whole damn land:
OhioStateBuckeyes.com :: The Ohio State University Official Athletic Site

The two major malls (successful) again it may not matter to you, but to many Americans its does:

The Mall at Tuttle Crossing® - A Shopping Center In Dublin, OH 43016-1537 - A Simon Property

Polaris Fashion Place | Columbus, OH Shopping Mall

Columbus has the best zoo in the nation:

https://www.columbuszoo.org/

Which zoo is No.1? | The Columbus Dispatch

On your second point I think this guy says it better than me about the software stuff and is more suited to talk about it:

That should tell you something right there, older people are typically wiser and have more life experience, in which many people no longer seem to respect.

No I am trying to prove that there are many more cities that are a ton better than Austin. Have more activities to do and many have real zoos. I am trying to prove how people think Austin is this utopia, and it's not even close. It lacks quite a bit of sophistication and many magazines have hyped Austin so much, to make us think that everything these magazines have said is a complete forgery:

http://austin.culturemap.com/news/in...omies-ranking/

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...y-for-job.html

and to throw this one in for fun:

Austin district's claim to highest graduation rate among major Texas cities Mostly False | PolitiFact Texas

Austin isn't even ranked in the nation for healthcare that is a very sad fact, don't people of Texas care about healthcare?

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...or-austin.html

I mean compared to Columbus, Austin is far behind, real far behind:

Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center in Columbus, OH - Rankings, Ratings & Photos | US News Best Hospitals

How can anyone who thinks logically, that Austin is all but nothing but a playground where no one seems to be responsible.

The longhorns are half the size of Ohio State, I don't understand what all the hype is about. Austin has many areas it needs to grow in that is my point, so you totally missed my point on that subject.

And your suppose to be hip? rofl You totally missed what I was getting at. But that's okay, that's one that flew over the Cuckcoo's nest.

Doesn't that stuff all cost money (ie gas, parking, rentals, and etc)? I mean if you can't make enough to earn a living then how can a person go to all of these events, yes we have done a lot of stuff here, but we have had a financial cushion to lean back on, however that cushion is gone because the cost of living and low wages have drained our accounts and before we run completely dry we plan on picking up and moving. Thus we may do a few of those things, but we can't do them all because our budget is limited, by the income we make, which you still haven't gotten your head around, a city can have a bunch of stuff to do, but if you don't have a disposable income then people can't spend their money in that city.

You can have fun outdoors in the winter time if your not a wuss, snow is actually quite fun, but no one likes to drive in the snow, however snow by itself is quite pleasurable (ie skiing, snowmobiling, snow ball fights, making snowmen, sledding, snow forts, igloos, ice skating, ice fishing, hockey and on and on) something you probably will never understand.

The live music isn't that great which I have mentioned before.

I don't know why your boasting about F1 maybe because its the only thing you have that is worthwhile, however in motorsports F1 ranks very low in the nation to watch. Yes people do watch, but compared to short tracks (including NASCAR short tracks) NASCAR is the number one watched motorsports in the U.S., followed by Indy car and then Drag racing, most people in the US don't really watch F1 so its kinda of laughable to think that F1 is all that great here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motors..._United_States

Americans do care about their pro sports teams, if a city doesn't have it, then it does make a difference, you can't just simply dismiss and act like it isn't significant because it is, if your thinking of a city that appeals to everyone then you have to include sports. Having recreation isn't enough to make it appeal to everyone.

Those aren't malls if you really want to call them that btw. Maybe more like strip malls.

Here are many others who have agreed with me and others:

https://alicia-prague-blog.com/2013/...just-mediocre/

Why is Austin so full of pretentious people? - Discussion on [domain blocked due to spam]

We love this one:

Six Stupid Reasons to Move to Austin, a Mediocre Town | Houston Press

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38418

https://ihateaustintexas.wordpress.c...-usa/#comments

Why Austin Sucks - Feedback - The Austin Chronicle

San Antonio is 'infinitely better' than Austin, list says - San Antonio Express-News

Oh I can go on and on about how many people have been disappointed by Austin, but some of them I can definitely agree with, and I actually agree with most of these articles. Hence I am not the only one who thinks this way. Maybe Austin ought to quit being so pretentious and get to work on being a better overall city, instead of saying our town is so great blah, blah, why not go to work and actually make it one of the best cities in the nation.

That's enough for now, maybe add more later, for fun. Btw I do have a life too, but I still can make time to follow up on a post that I wrote.
It's too bad you aren't happy here, I wish you the best of luck somewhere else.

Next time I talk to Austin, I will ask it to stop being so pretentious. I hope that helps.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:42 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
(Oh....& stop making this an Austin vrs. San Antonio thread. Every Austinite I know likes or loves San Antonio. We visit often & love the fact that it isn't Austin & doesn't want to be Austin. The only people I've ever heard say ANYTHING negative about San Antonio are recent transplants....& actually it's just a very small percentage of them. Most everyone likes or loves SA.)
Not the Austinites I know. There's definitely a lot of "Austin is the best of the best" types living there. That comes off as being very pretentious. On the other hand, you have a lot of people in Dallas that "pretend" to be richer and more successful than they actually are. San Antonio is a nice laid back town.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:02 PM

50 posts, read 56,207 times
It is hard to describe but many of the comments made by what appear to be Austin residents do in fact come off as quite pretentious.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:21 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,825 times
I have no dog in this fight since I've never lived in Austin and never plan to live in Austin. I will say that the OP is coming off as quite rude though. I will also say that if Ohio is soooo much better than maybe you'd be happier finding a new job there and moving back. Texas isn't for everybody. I've known many people who moved here and ended up moving back to where they came from. We don't cotton to people moving here and then telling us how much wherever they came beats Texas. We're frankly tired of it.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:41 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
I'm generally not offended. Often times the places these people come from do have more/better things than their adopted Texas town. (I definitely don't feel that way about Ohio, however)

Our food tends to be far better and I think we have the most all around pleasant people, but in most other metrics, other states can back up all their big talk.

The more you have your identity wrapped up in the place you're from, the harder it is to take criticisms about it. It's okay to be proud but don't let it be blind pride.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:40 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
This goes to you and Falconheadwest
Before I get to your comments: Columbus actually has two pro sports teams and 3 other major stadiums (which I initially forgot about because I am not into soccer at all), which means Columbus has 5 major stadiums, and Austin is lucky to have 2 and from what I hear Nolan Ryan may pull out the RR express, which may leave Austin down to only one. My My, I mean it may not matter to you, but to many other Americans it does matter.
Here are the 5 major stadiums:
About MAPFRE Stadium | Columbus Crew SC

Welcome to Nationwide Arena!

Huntington Park: Home of the Columbus Clippers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper_Stadium

The best stadium in the whole damn land:
OhioStateBuckeyes.com :: The Ohio State University Official Athletic Site

The two major malls (successful) again it may not matter to you, but to many Americans its does:

The Mall at Tuttle Crossing® - A Shopping Center In Dublin, OH 43016-1537 - A Simon Property

Polaris Fashion Place | Columbus, OH Shopping Mall

Columbus has the best zoo in the nation:

https://www.columbuszoo.org/

Which zoo is No.1? | The Columbus Dispatch

On your second point I think this guy says it better than me about the software stuff and is more suited to talk about it:

That should tell you something right there, older people are typically wiser and have more life experience, in which many people no longer seem to respect.

No I am trying to prove that there are many more cities that are a ton better than Austin.
Have more activities to do and many have real zoos. I am trying to prove how people think Austin is this utopia, and it's not even close. It lacks quite a bit of sophistication and many magazines have hyped Austin so much, to make us think that everything these magazines have said is a complete forgery:

http://austin.culturemap.com/news/in...omies-ranking/

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...y-for-job.html

and to throw this one in for fun:

Austin district's claim to highest graduation rate among major Texas cities Mostly False | PolitiFact Texas

Austin isn't even ranked in the nation for healthcare that is a very sad fact, don't people of Texas care about healthcare?

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...or-austin.html

I mean compared to Columbus, Austin is far behind, real far behind:

Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center in Columbus, OH - Rankings, Ratings & Photos | US News Best Hospitals

How can anyone who thinks logically, that Austin is all but nothing but a playground where no one seems to be responsible.

The longhorns are half the size of Ohio State, I don't understand what all the hype is about. Austin has many areas it needs to grow in that is my point, so you totally missed my point on that subject.

And your suppose to be hip? rofl You totally missed what I was getting at. But that's okay, that's one that flew over the Cuckcoo's nest.

Doesn't that stuff all cost money (ie gas, parking, rentals, and etc)? I mean if you can't make enough to earn a living then how can a person go to all of these events, yes we have done a lot of stuff here, but we have had a financial cushion to lean back on, however that cushion is gone because the cost of living and low wages have drained our accounts and before we run completely dry we plan on picking up and moving. Thus we may do a few of those things, but we can't do them all because our budget is limited, by the income we make, which you still haven't gotten your head around, a city can have a bunch of stuff to do, but if you don't have a disposable income then people can't spend their money in that city.

You can have fun outdoors in the winter time if your not a wuss, snow is actually quite fun, but no one likes to drive in the snow, however snow by itself is quite pleasurable (ie skiing, snowmobiling, snow ball fights, making snowmen, sledding, snow forts, igloos, ice skating, ice fishing, hockey and on and on) something you probably will never understand.

The live music isn't that great which I have mentioned before.

I don't know why your boasting about F1 maybe because its the only thing you have that is worthwhile, however in motorsports F1 ranks very low in the nation to watch. Yes people do watch, but compared to short tracks (including NASCAR short tracks) NASCAR is the number one watched motorsports in the U.S., followed by Indy car and then Drag racing, most people in the US don't really watch F1 so its kinda of laughable to think that F1 is all that great here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motors..._United_States

Americans do care about their pro sports teams, if a city doesn't have it, then it does make a difference, you can't just simply dismiss and act like it isn't significant because it is, if your thinking of a city that appeals to everyone then you have to include sports. Having recreation isn't enough to make it appeal to everyone.

Those aren't malls if you really want to call them that btw. Maybe more like strip malls.

Here are many others who have agreed with me and others:

https://alicia-prague-blog.com/2013/...just-mediocre/

Why is Austin so full of pretentious people? - Discussion on [domain blocked due to spam]

We love this one:

Six Stupid Reasons to Move to Austin, a Mediocre Town | Houston Press

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38418

https://ihateaustintexas.wordpress.c...-usa/#comments

Why Austin Sucks - Feedback - The Austin Chronicle

San Antonio is 'infinitely better' than Austin, list says - San Antonio Express-News

Oh I can go on and on about how many people have been disappointed by Austin, but some of them I can definitely agree with, and I actually agree with most of these articles. Hence I am not the only one who thinks this way. Maybe Austin ought to quit being so pretentious and get to work on being a better overall city, instead of saying our town is so great blah, blah, why not go to work and actually make it one of the best cities in the nation.

That's enough for now, maybe add more later, for fun. Btw I do have a life too, but I still can make time to follow up on a post that I wrote.
Why? What on earth does it matter to you if other people like or love Austin, even if it's not for you? Why does it matter so much to you that you have to try to prove that there are a lot of cities better than Austin, just because you can't or choose not to fit here? Is your opinion so weak that it must be shared by everyone else in order to stand?

I don't know how old you actually are chronologically, but you come across as very young, very defensive, and unable to accept any criticism or disagreement with your own ideas whatsoever. Again, if that's how you come across in real life, I can understand your problem in finding the kind of employment that you are seeking.

Old 10-04-2016, 11:46 PM

124 posts, read 121,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Why? What on earth does it matter to you if other people like or love Austin, even if it's not for you? Why does it matter so much to you that you have to try to prove that there are a lot of cities better than Austin, just because you can't or choose not to fit here? Is your opinion so weak that it must be shared by everyone else in order to stand?

I don't know how old you actually are chronologically, but you come across as very young, very defensive, and unable to accept any criticism or disagreement with your own ideas whatsoever. Again, if that's how you come across in real life, I can understand your problem in finding the kind of employment that you are seeking.

Did you fall off of your rocker? Most of your comments seem to be totally off the wall and half the time and doesn't make any sense. (and why I haven't commented on any of them til now, why does it even matter to you what I think?) So by expressing my views I am weak? Okay. Maybe simply I like a good debate, however I don't even think I come off as being defensive in the least.

I could say more but I choose not too.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:14 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I'm generally not offended. Often times the places these people come from do have more/better things than their adopted Texas town. (I definitely don't feel that way about Ohio, however)

Our food tends to be far better and I think we have the most all around pleasant people, but in most other metrics, other states can back up all their big talk.

The more you have your identity wrapped up in the place you're from, the harder it is to take criticisms about it. It's okay to be proud but don't let it be blind pride.
It isn't so much blind pride. It has to do with what Texans value. A lot of other state can back up the fact that they're prettier and more hip, but many tend to look at the value. California is way prettier than Texas, hands down but aesthetics might be secondary to what some Texans value. For some people they might pay the extra premium to live on the coasts. They might see the high price and more regulations as the necessary price. Many Texans will see it as overpriced and not worth it.
There might be other states that will have a lower COL and even maybe prettier scenery but many think about the lack of employment opportunities, business opportunites, lack of big cities that are burgeoning on being world class.

The "pride" comes from being in a growing, rich state that is relatively cheap, offers jobs and a life that's somewhat comparable to the major cities of the country at a lower cost. I don't know why people see that as a bad thing to be here for the opportunities.
One of my good Yankee buddies from college was born and bred in CT. He's a blue blood type and lived his whole life in the northeast. He took an internship in energy trading in Houston and fell in love with the city and the state. He also did internships in NYC and could've stayed in NYC but chose to ditch it because he loved the Texas ethos. He loved the idea of getting the best bang for his buck. He never bought into the typical mainstream mantra that says you have to be in NYC or LA or SF to truly enjoy life. Some people don't follow the tastes and biases of the mainstream culture in the media. And that grates a lot of people. They think Texans are just being stubborn or iconoclastic for he hell of it did not admitting that XYZ city or state is better, but many really do not care. They genuinely do not care for those other places touted as the best and it grates people.

Point is the state is worth the cost for a lot of people.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:48 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Did you fall off of your rocker? Most of your comments seem to be totally off the wall and half the time and doesn't make any sense. (and why I haven't commented on any of them til now, why does it even matter to you what I think?) So by expressing my views I am weak? Okay. Maybe simply I like a good debate, however I don't even think I come off as being defensive in the least.

I could say more but I choose not too.
And this is a typical example of your response to any criticism whatsoever. No, expressing your views isn't weak. Needing so desperately to convince everyone that because Austin isn't for you it is a terrible place and anyone who thinks otherwise MUST be convinced, by you, that it is, is what I was referencing. That and your particular delivery style and the way you talk to those (not just me) who disagree with you, using the argument ad hominem with wild abandon.

By the way, I love a good debate (just ask anyone here! ). What I'm seeing is not that, not even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas