Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 10:35 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicAries View Post
See that's the problem, why do people care so much about other people? People these days are so quick to judge because their lifestyle is different. Who cares?
It looks like ikoolu just moved to Waco from California earlier this year, after rejecting Austin ("we found Austin a liberal haven for long hair maggot infested FM types - lol").

The thing is, in Texas, you may think all kinds of awful things about your neighbors, but you're not supposed to show it. Even if you're not going to be friends, you maintain a cordial relationship. Texas is not like the deep south, where it's okay to air your prejudices in public and be spiteful to someone's face. Texas has its flaws, but the live-and-let-live attitude is something I really appreciate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 09:19 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
i resent the fact that you people feel compelled to call someone who does not agree with the life style homophobic - when the fact is we have rights too and some choose to live in a area with people that have the same beliefs - just like the Scouts - you have to attack them for their beliefs - it unjust to same people of a religious belief or personnel belief to have to be completed to see and be around that lifestyle - there are plenty of places - where the life style is accepted and even appreciated - but i will not just sit back while you attack me for my beliefs and that when i don't agree you call me racist or any of the other names you choose -

I find it ironic that you can not accept our lifestyle and our god given beliefs and want to force us to accept or tolerate your life style and when we say something or stand up to your values - why can't you accept the fact that there a people who don't want to see- accept - watch or be around that lifestyle?

But no when someone like me say something we are attacked and called names - and you don't even know us -

Waco is conservative - its religious - and you might say old fashion - thats our right - we choose to live there so if your not comfortable with that then in lieu of name calling and protest go where you are welcomed - Austin, West Hollywood, San Diego - Palm Springs, NYC and let us live with our beliefs - you are not the only ones with rights -
Please, everyone, do not judge Texans by this Californian who apparently bought into the stereotypes about Texas, thought they fit him just fine, and moved here, pretending Texans as a whole are ANYTHING like this.

As for "that lifestyle", ikoolu, the lifestyle described in the OP is two parents raising their children and working and being good neighbors. I take it that kind of lifestyle is anaethema to you.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:02 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,604 times
ikoolu is koo-koo. "don't expect to be welcomed"? how very christian of you. Do you like burning crosses on your lawn and beating up gay people if they look at you? I actually feel sorry for people like you. the world is changing and there's nothing you can do about it except crawl back into that hole you came out of. So have fun with your hate. I know plenty of people in Waco who do not care one whit if you're gay and are pretty progressive.

That being said, all of the large cities are very gay-friendly. San Antonio is a great place to look for that reason and because it's more reasonable to live, buy a house, etc.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:04 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
The truth lies somewhere between the ikoolu post and the clarksvillemom one directly above. Waco won't typically be cross-burning KKK, nor will it be "gay-friendly" and welcoming San Francisco. Sure, they'll be people who are okay with the gay lifestlye and live-and-let live (i.e. tolerant). But there will also be plenty that won't approve of the lifestyle. The latter may or may not saying anything. Even if they don't, there will be deep and underlying division, which could be an issue.

So at the end of the day, it depends on how comfortable one wants to live, and/or how much of head-shaking, stares, and snake eyes one wants to put up with. It might be doable and live-able, but why not opt for the best environment for the best results? Of course, a person could spend a week around town, talking to people, and observing and getting a feel for the area. That's probably the best research of all.

Old 01-06-2017, 02:39 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post
you two made my - name calling for my beliefs and you feel i should or others like MUST accept others lifestyle - but you won't accept mine - so easy with libs - quick to criticize and name call - only when you don't agree with them.

Being gay is not the issue - the issue is why should gays want to live, flaunt and show off to others when they know the substantial majority does not agree with that life? Yes you have rights - but you should know clearly that Waco is conservative and is right in the middle of the religious belt of Texas - and that you will be a outsider - why not live where others will embrace that life style?

i would bet 99% of Waco would not say anything to gays - out of common courtesy - but don't expect to be welcomed to our neighbor hoods, churches, gathering places when we clearly do not agree with that lifer style - thats our right too - and i for one will not allow you to label me or my family a racist or homophobe for my beliefs- this is still America
1. "libs" is an insult. How can I respect you when you call me a name?

2. How is getting married and having kids "flaunting a lifestyle?" Most LGBTQ people don't walk around in leather chaps with their boyfriend on a leash. And if they do, so what? It's not like they're asking you to join in.

3. Take a class in genetics. It's not a "lifestyle." People are born gay, straight, bi. It's not like people wake up one day and decide it would be swell to like girls and/or boys.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:50 PM

570 posts, read 560,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
It looks like ikoolu just moved to Waco from California earlier this year, after rejecting Austin ("we found Austin a liberal haven for long hair maggot infested FM types - lol").

The thing is, in Texas, you may think all kinds of awful things about your neighbors, but you're not supposed to show it. Even if you're not going to be friends, you maintain a cordial relationship. Texas is not like the deep south, where it's okay to air your prejudices in public and be spiteful to someone's face. Texas has its flaws, but the live-and-let-live attitude is something I really appreciate.
True, even though we still have our bigots, Texas continues to progress even if it's in the larger areas of the state. I'm sure the OP would be more comfortable in more of a liberal area like Austin or so.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:52 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Not the best idea. Austin, Houston or DFW are better choices.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:43 AM

738 posts, read 765,288 times
In terms of smaller cities Corpus is pretty tolerant. Having been the location of much of the Hispanic civil rights movement and being a port city there is a lot of institutional and cultural norms of letting people be themselves. Unlike a bunch of the South Corpus desegregated earlier and was as much by inter personal conversations than by law and court cases. The bridge was lit in rainbow colors after Orlando for example and there are a fair number of high level gay and lesbian political and business leaders. I don't get the impression Waco is very tolerant.

Old 01-07-2017, 01:05 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope48 View Post
In terms of smaller cities Corpus is pretty tolerant. Having been the location of much of the Hispanic civil rights movement and being a port city there is a lot of institutional and cultural norms of letting people be themselves. Unlike a bunch of the South Corpus desegregated earlier and was as much by inter personal conversations than by law and court cases. The bridge was lit in rainbow colors after Orlando for example and there are a fair number of high level gay and lesbian political and business leaders. I don't get the impression Waco is very tolerant.
This history of Corpus is interesting. I didn't know about the current level of gay leadership.

My friends in the northeast ask how I can stand to live in such a red state, but it doesn't feel like a red state until you pick up the paper and read what the state legislature is up to.

San Antonio also desegregated early and with very little drama. Here's an article about the integration of lunch counters in the 1960's. One of the reasons given for peaceful integration was the large military presence and the fact that the military was already substantially integrated at that time. Probably the same for Corpus.

Old 01-08-2017, 03:18 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post

Exactly! The neighbors might all privately say I will burn in hell but they are pleasant and even welcoming. Not like the Bible Belt South where they tell you to your face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas