Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 11:02 AM

154 posts, read 197,900 times

Advertisements

So, to conclude, El Paso is too hispanic, has too much crime and not good enough job market? Dallas, San Antonio and Austin have good job markets but are very humid? Fort Worth seems to be the best city in Texas for me?

And finally, so the reason Austin has lot of hipsters is bcs of big University (= liberal, educated people)? And the 'hipster population' in Austin is also very exaggerated?

Maybe it's good to say that I'm an environmental/urban planner and my girlfriend is a physical therapist. But I guess the job market is similar everywhere? (Yes I know its very hard to get a permanent visa, even tough we are educated healthy youth from Northern Europé).

Thank you for your responses

Last edited by toosie; 11-06-2016 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: deleted off topic inquiry about other states - try general US or city v city for broader search

Old 11-06-2016, 11:35 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradpaisley94 View Post
So, to conclude, El Paso is too hispanic, has too much crime and not good enough job market? Dallas, San Antonio and Austin have good job markets but are very humid? Fort Worth seems to be the best city in Texas for me?
There's not an appreciable difference in humidity between Dallas and Fort Worth. They're only 30 miles apart, at roughly the same elevation (400' Dallas, 700' Fort Worth), and within the same climate zone.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:09 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Quote:

And finally, so the reason Austin has lot of hipsters is bcs of big University (= liberal, educated people)? And the 'hipster population' in Austin is also very exaggerated?

Maybe it's good to say that I'm an environmental/urban planner and my girlfriend is a physical therapist. But I guess the job market is similar everywhere? (Yes I know its very hard to get a permanent visa, even tough we are educated healthy youth from Northern Europé).

Thank you for your responses
I just want to point out that environmental and urban planning are fields that are generally more appreciated in more liberal places. Oh, and El Paso is actually one of the safest cities in the nation.

I'd also contend the notion that Austin's hipsterism is exaggerated. For better and for worse, it's right up there among the hippest places in the US.

Last edited by toosie; 11-06-2016 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: deleted off topic portion of quoted material

Old 11-06-2016, 07:39 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,801 times
OP:

In your situation I'd focus less on vacuous click bait articles about "hipsters" and more on tangible and pragmatic concerns like: 1) job offers and 2) work visas. The rest is just pie in the sky scenarios.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:18 PM

879 posts, read 3,037,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever nickname here View Post
El Paso is over 80% hispanic and Mexico's drug wars spill over the border at times.
BS, the drug wars didn't spill over into El Paso. As someone pointed it out already El Paso is one of the safest cities in the country.

EP is 80% Hispanic though.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I just want to point out that environmental and urban planning are fields that are generally more appreciated in more liberal places. Oh, and El Paso is actually one of the safest cities in the nation.

I'd also contend the notion that Austin's hipsterism is exaggerated. For better and for worse, it's right up there among the hippest places in the US.
Yes I do know that. But do you mean 'liberal places' like Vermont or 'liberal places' within Texas? Cuz I guess even though Texas (or Arizona, California or whatever place with dry heat) might be more conservative on environmental issues, there is still a need for urban planning to build roads etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
OP:

In your situation I'd focus less on vacuous click bait articles about "hipsters" and more on tangible and pragmatic concerns like: 1) job offers and 2) work visas. The rest is just pie in the sky scenarios.

No I know that ofc. I don't 'focus' on hipsters, it was just something I picked up. Ofc Nr.1 is to find a job and then get a visa. But the reason we want to move in the first place is bcs we can't (or is it cannot?) stand the people and weather up here. If we end up in Texas, Arizona, Australia, Italy or Malta is not very important. I just guess that Texas has more job offers than say Malta.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:44 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:
Not being from Texas, or even from the US, can someone tell me why Austin repeatedly is referred to as the No.1 (or atleast top 5) hipster city in the US while I also read that other cities in Texas such as El Paso, Fort Worth, San Antonio and more often are listed as 'least hipster cities' in the US?

I mean sure, Austin is a big city but so is San Antonio and Houston, and sure Austin is democrat voting, but so is El Paso, what is it about Austin?

I am asking because I am thinking about moving away from (mega-hipster liberal) Sweden to Texas and I am looking for a city with low hipster population and lot of country music culture (as I love country music, as well as dry heat, solid job market and low crime). So maybe El Paso is the one?
There's really nowhere in Texas that is mega-hipster liberal like Sweden. Even most places in the U.S. aren't quite like that. With that said, all of the major cities in Texas -- Dallas, Austin, Houston, Fort Worth, and San Antonio -- have bohemian neighborhoods, hipster neighborhoods, and artsy areas. They are easy to avoid because Texas cities are mostly suburban sprawl rather than urban and dense cities like cities on the East Coast (e.g. NYC, Boston, DC, etc).

For country music though, I'd go with Fort Worth. Houston is better for hip hop, while Dallas is better for metal and electronica/edm. Austin is more indie rock, although it's diversified over the years.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
There's really nowhere in Texas that is mega-hipster liberal like Sweden. Even most places in the U.S. aren't quite like that. With that said, all of the major cities in Texas -- Dallas, Austin, Houston, Fort Worth, and San Antonio -- have bohemian neighborhoods, hipster neighborhoods, and artsy areas. They are easy to avoid because Texas cities are mostly suburban sprawl rather than urban and dense cities like cities on the East Coast (e.g. NYC, Boston, DC, etc).

For country music though, I'd go with Fort Worth. Houston is better for hip hop, while Dallas is better for metal and electronica/edm. Austin is more indie rock, although it's diversified over the years.
Yes I do know that. There are almost no places on earth (thank God) that are as liberal as 'we are going to kill every little piece of tradition' Sweden. Oh really, I thought all of Texas was country music. Is there any country music scene further west, say Arizona or inland-california?

Old 11-09-2016, 08:26 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
Oh really, I thought all of Texas was country music. Is there any country music scene further west, say Arizona or inland-california?
Yes of course. One of the most famous historical sub-genres of country music is the Bakersfield sound (historically Buck Owens & more modern guy is Dwight Yoakam), which is inland California, and though Bakersfield is nothing to write home about today, the Bakersfield sound is still alive around all of California. The US also has major radio stations that play more or less the same music around the entire country. You can find a 'pop' country (like Brad Paisley) radio station in almost any city in the US.

Old 11-09-2016, 08:27 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,801 times
Quote:
Yes I do know that. There are almost no places on earth (thank God) that are as liberal as 'we are going to kill every little piece of tradition' Sweden. Oh really, I thought all of Texas was country music. Is there any country music scene further west, say Arizona or inland-california?
Yes, of course.

Any country music fan worth his salt knows about the Bakersfield sound. Study up, son.

Edit to add: Funny, we posted at the same time. Check out Merle Haggard, Buck Owens, and Gram Parsons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas