U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 01:38 AM

233 posts, read 771,182 times

Advertisements

Hi-
Is The San Angelo Train Museum Worth The Drive from Dallas??

I've been to San Angelo only once (9.12.2004 which happened to be another friend's 26th birthday).

It was a helluva great trip b/c I totally lied to my roomate (while we were at TX TECH) about how far San Angelo is from Snyder...I told him it was right after Snyder when it's in fact 94 miles from the point where we were, somewhere in the middle of nowhere outside of Snyder...honest, I thought he saw the sign--heh heh!!

ahh memories!! We didn't make it to the train museum but it's rather a moot point b/c Brian was (and is) not very museum-y.

Franco's is The Best Mexican Food in Town!! We went there on a Tech friend from Abilene High's recommendation whose grandparents live in
San Angelo.

I also like the slide-y downtown curves made by the Concho River.
They are great fun to drive over!!

Thanks,
fallguy
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Status: "Spring will spring forth soon...." (set 2 days ago)

50,524 posts, read 40,656,659 times
Dang, fallguy! I haven't even gone down there yet.

In all seriousness, I've been meaning to get to San Angelo and just have not gotten around to it. You just gave me a great idea. I'm sure it will be worth the drive. I could squeeze that into a weekend trip soon. Sorry I won't be able to give you 'after the fact' info this time around.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:48 PM

1,992 posts, read 3,863,818 times
My wife and I enjoy going to San Angelo, but I have never been in the train museum. I will make a point to visit it the next time we go there! I like the town and we enjoy quick trips there.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:51 PM

1,992 posts, read 3,863,818 times
Here is a link to the Railroad Museum web site:

railway ,museum .San Angelo .Texas ,Rail ,Railroad, Texas Pacifico, history, rail photograghs, volunteers

Old 02-27-2008, 10:47 PM

Thank you to all respondents. I'm glad I could inspire you allto visit
The San Angelo Train Museum. It's unclear whether I'll reach San Angelo again.

Right now I'm hard at work planning on going to:
Beaumont/Vidor/Orange/Lake Charles/Lafayette/Baton Rouge b/c I've been to none of these places.

I have been to Houston numerous times, Shreveport-Bossier 3 X & Monroe once & New Orleans once 2002. It's a great city that they gotta fix again A.S.A.P.!!

Thanks & talk to you soon!!

fallguy

Old 02-27-2008, 10:49 PM

Monroe was on was 2.9.08 on a drive with a friend "for the shock value" & this fantastic youtube video feat. at 2m 30s the awesome song "Monroe, Louisiana is a Beer-Drinkin' Town":
YouTube - Monrock Part One

New Orleans was a springbreak via plane with my parents.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:53 AM

14,637 posts, read 32,385,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
Thank you to all respondents. I'm glad I could inspire you allto visit
The San Angelo Train Museum. It's unclear whether I'll reach San Angelo again.

Right now I'm hard at work planning on going to:
Beaumont/Vidor/Orange/Lake Charles/Lafayette/Baton Rouge b/c I've been to none of these places.

I have been to Houston numerous times, Shreveport-Bossier 3 X & Monroe once & New Orleans once 2002. It's a great city that they gotta fix again A.S.A.P.!!

Thanks & talk to you soon!!

fallguy
I'd personally skip Beaumont, Vidor, and Orange. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:00 PM

Hi Sapphire-
Thanks for your 2 cents but the concept of rollin' through The Golden Triangle except for Port Arthur stands b/c Lake Charles, Lafayette & Baton Rouge need me!!

I've heard B., V. & O. are smelly & ugly (so's P.A. for that matter).

Are these your reasons for skipping them??

Looking forward to your response,
fallguy

Old 03-01-2008, 10:21 PM

14,637 posts, read 32,385,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallguy View Post
Hi Sapphire-
Thanks for your 2 cents but the concept of rollin' through The Golden Triangle except for Port Arthur stands b/c Lake Charles, Lafayette & Baton Rouge need me!!

I've heard B., V. & O. are smelly & ugly (so's P.A. for that matter).

Are these your reasons for skipping them??

Looking forward to your response,
fallguy
Smelly, ugly, and there are still some holdout "backwoods thinkers" that don't like people of any color other than lily-white. I'm white myself, but I've been over there with some co-workers of color, and I was uncomfortable. This has been MY experience only, not to say that you will have any trouble, or that anyone else will or has, this is just MY OPINION. Nothing happened, it was just a "vibe" and we did not feel welcome at all.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:24 PM

634 posts, read 2,772,352 times
I remember going to San Angelo when I was young. All I remember is that it was very dry and it seemed very quiet. It didn't seem like a town of 97,000.

Maybe it was because we didn't see all of the town.
I've got to go check it out for myself sometime..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas