Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 09:44 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times

Advertisements

Texas puritan laws = All liquor stores closed on Thanksgiving

WTF?
Now I can't make the eggnog with rum I wanted to make for tonight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 10:00 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
So......a lack of planning around a law that's been in existence for over a half-century is everyone else's fault.....but yours?

Old 11-24-2016, 10:06 AM

Sorry that I'm busy working

Why should the government make it illegal for liquor stores to be open on Thanksgiving?

Old 11-24-2016, 10:18 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Sorry that I'm busy working

Why should the government make it illegal for liquor stores to be open on Thanksgiving?
I've read multiple reports that big box stores want to loosen up those laws, including Sunday morning beer sales. But the liquor store owners in Texas keep out-lobbying them in the legislature, because they'd rather be closed. So the liquor store you're unable to do business with on Thanksgiving WANTS the law to be that way!

Old 11-24-2016, 12:10 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Oh boo-hoo, get a life. If you must always find something to complain about, try and at least find something worthy of a complaint. I see some grocery stores are opening limited hours now on TG, but they all use to be closed on this day. If you forgot something needed for your dinner, there was only the little convenience stores and sometimes they weren't open all day.

As to your poor excuse of "Sorry that I'm busy working", how lame is that? (lol Actually, this is the one comment you made that caused me to even bother responding to this post). Almost everyone works and even if they don't hold down a regular job, they are busy with other things. If you are really serious offering this excuse as to why you can't have rum to put in your eggnog tonight, I'd venture to say it wasn't that all important to you in the first place. That, or you really are one of those people who can't walk and chew bubble gum at the same time.

About the only reason I can find for you not picking up a bottle of rum before hand to have for your Thanksgiving eggnog would be you are an alcoholic and afraid you'd drink the entire bottle before TG. But c'mon, being busy working is almost hilarious to use as an excuse. Just admit it wasn't that important and you forgot it like a lot of people forget things that aren't important. Don't go now and try to make a big deal out of it because it AIN't no big deal.

btw Speaking of working, people who work in the liquor stores would like the Thanksgiving holiday off to be with their family and friends same as other people. Damn, why has our country become such a nation of ME first. Spoiled babies who only think about themselves and their needs. It has become quite sickening.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
. So the liquor store you're unable to do business with on Thanksgiving WANTS the law to be that way!
Same crap,
Passing laws to control when people purchase something

What happened to "let the market decide"?

Old 11-24-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
About the only reason I can find for you not picking up a bottle of rum before hand to have for your Thanksgiving eggnog would be you are an alcoholic and afraid you'd drink the entire bottle before TG. bout themselves and their needs.
Nice try,
I have two bottles of my favorite rum on the counter,
That's exactly why I tried to buy another bottle of rum today
I wasn't going to let my wife use my favorite rum to make eggnog

People will say anything to defend a stupid law

Old 11-24-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Nice try,
I have two bottles of my favorite rum on the counter,
That's exactly why I tried to buy another bottle of rum today
I wasn't going to let my wife use my favorite rum to make eggnog

People will say anything to defend a stupid law
Obviously people will say anything to defend a selfish attitude.

Remember, the purpose of this holiday (Thanksgiving) is to be thankful. So, instead of complaining, be thankful for what you do have. Be thankful you have 2 bottles of your favorite rum on your counter instead of complaining you're unable to buy yet another bottle of rum. Be thankful you have a wife and she is willing to make eggnog, even if it entails using your favorite rum. Be thankful you can share that precious rum with her. In other words, stop being so all fired selfish sounding and be thankful for what you have.

Afterthought, while you are at it, be thankful those liquor store employees are enjoying their day off rather than being stuck in a store so they can wait to serve you when you come get your other more appropriate (I'm guessing cheaper? ) 'for eggnog' bottle of rum.

I just wish people could show a little more respect and consideration for their fellow man. We are now getting emotional when certain department store announce they will be closed on Thanksgiving Day so their employees can have the day off to spend with their families (stating they will open Friday morning for the Black Friday sales) and we think, oh, that is so nice of them. Actually, it is what they used to do all the time and it was the right thing to do, but money hungry greedy retailers like Walmart will use anything as another opportunity to sell some cheap Chinese made junk and consumers eat it up just like the Indians went for the shiny trinkets and beads.

I'm just saying it's not a matter of the law or not the law, it's the principal of the thing and it's about doing the right thing. It puts me in mind of Dak Prescott missing the trash can with his empty cup and so getting up to put it in and the media making a big deal over it. I saw it when he did it and thought to myself, good, I knew Dak had had a good upbringing and here was just another example of it. But we as a people have become so involved in our own personal all about me world, that the incident of Dak picking up his trash became a big thing and Lord help us all because in this day and age, it really is. So, hopefully we are on a nice track to get back to doing the right thing w/o even thinking about it. I hope so. I hope to see a lot more people who exhibit good upbringing and even if they didn't get proper upbringing, hopefully the monkey see, monkey do mentality will kick in.

In the meantime, give your wife one of your favorite bottles of rum to use in the eggnog and enjoy your evening. You can replace the bottle tomorrow and while you're at it, pick up an 'eggnog' bottle for Christmas while you're at it. lol This way you won't be back on here Christmas Day complaining about the same old thing.

Over and out. I'm on my way back outdoors to enjoy and give thanks for more of this gorgeous weather. lol I'll just have to catch the latter part of the Cowboy game, but on that note, go Cowboys!

Old 11-24-2016, 02:16 PM

I don't have a problem with the liquor stores being closed
I have a problem with government passing laws telling business owners to close on X day

Why don't we let the business owners make that decision?

Old 11-24-2016, 04:35 PM

I'm not for excessive laws and Lord knows we have more than plenty, but sometimes people do need protection I'm no pro union because they can and do overstep their bounds, but yet, it is a necessary evil that if we did away with them, it wouldn't be that long before big companies would be taking every advantage they could and bingo, we'd have to bring them back.

Let's just say we look at it like a check and balance. You wouldn't advocate 8 and 9 year old children being taken out of school and put to work alongside their daddy in coal mines or kids taken out of school to work with the entire family in fields because the family can use the extra money would you? The more well to do kids get to be kids and less fortunate kids get to become laborers in their preteens. Would you also say it's nobody else's business, let the parents do what they want to do with their own kids?

I realize this is a stretch over liquor stores being open on Thanksgiving and making their employees work that day rather than being in the more fortunate group of those being afforded the day off to spend with their families (since it is a tradition, you know). Look at Walmart employees, sure, you can have dinner with your family, but you better make sure you get it done because you're going to put that little blue jacket with the happy face on it and beat a path to work in the afternoon to sell cheap crap to the bargain hunters. And you know as well as I do if every employee in the store refused to come to work that afternoon, there'd be some firing going on. But hey, as it stands, they have that right. We don't need a law telling Walmart to remain closed, people should take it upon themselves to do the right thing and stay out of the store until the next business day. My God, how hard can that be? Obviously, pretty hard for some people. About like just gotta get that bottle of booze they forgot the day before.

I realize I'm making quite an issue about this, but it is definitely one of my pet peeves. I think it is just another of the more and more plain stupid things that people do to themselves and for what? It's just senseless. Damn, we need to eliminate a lot of this nonessential crap that does nothing but clutter our lives and only makes aggravation for us. Most people nowadays have more crap than they can shake a stick out and yet, they're not thankful and enjoy what they do have, but rather get all bent out of shape when they're prevented in small way of getting more. It's just too crazy for words. LAW OR NO LAW who cares, it's insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: