Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 04:48 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
The 20 degrees was Nov 30, it's only going to get in the 40's tonight, it will in the 70's by Sat and Sunday another cool front, very up and down this time of year.
Yesterday here in Dallas was high in the mid to low 40's. Today is chilly too and overcast. At least yesterday we had some sun. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, I don't like the cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 04:52 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
El Paso Had Snow. It was gone by 10pm the same day we got it. Today its 55, tonight it will be like 32. we will have high's in the upper 50's and mid 60's all week. Lowes in the lower 30's upper 20's. This week will be mostly sunny.

The lil snow we got was to remind us people in hELl Paso, what we cant have. =(

Old 01-03-2007, 07:11 PM

318 posts, read 1,317,207 times
Hi,

I live in CA and we have been looking to move to ID, but I'm also researching Texas. It sounds like, from this thread, that the high humidity that CA residents aren't use to, is in the eastern part of TX? I've heard that Austin has rolling hills and lots of trees. Do they get Twisters there and Humidity?

Weather wise where would a CA feel the most comfortable in TX?

Izzy

Old 01-03-2007, 07:16 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy View Post
Hi,

I live in CA and we have been looking to move to ID, but I'm also researching Texas. It sounds like, from this thread, that the high humidity that CA residents aren't use to, is in the eastern part of TX? I've heard that Austin has rolling hills and lots of trees. Do they get Twisters there and Humidity?

Izzy
It depends on what you want. Texas is BIG the northern part gets much colder than the southern end. East Texas is VERY hot and humid, but that might not bother you. Austin is also humid and yes it does have rolling hills. Tornadoes can happen just about anywhere in Texas. If you want to escape hot humid weather I would suggest some place else, but if it doesn't bother you then come on.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:16 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Yesterday here in Dallas was high in the mid to low 40's. Today is chilly too and overcast. At least yesterday we had some sun. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, I don't like the cold.
Another vote against Canadian style weather. Woohoo!

Old 01-03-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
It depends on what you want. Texas is BIG the northern part gets much colder than the southern end. East Texas is VERY hot and humid, but that might not bother you. Austin is also humid and yes it does have rolling hills. Tornadoes can happen just about anywhere in Texas. If you want to escape hot humid weather I would suggest some place else, but if it doesn't bother you then come on.
We live in central CA, in the rolling foothills, called the gold country. Not far from Jackson, CA. Our summers hotest days are about 110-115. But very dry...to dry for my taste. The winters get down to the 20-30s. We get lots of rain and some sleet. I've never lived in a humid area.

Izzy

Old 01-03-2007, 07:39 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy View Post
Hi,

Izzy
Actually it seems that all areas of Texas, except for West TX will have noticeably higher humidity than anywhere in California. So that would include Austin.

It's all about the dewpoints, not relative humidities that tell you how thick the air feels.
A dew point at 65 F will still might only be 20-35% humidity (approximate)when the air is near 100 F.

Everyone senses humidity differently, but it seems to me easy for most people to notice a "thickening of the air" at a dewpoint above 60 F. That doesn't feel bad neccessarily to most people, even though it's noticeable. I happen to even enjoy dewpoints in the 70's and that's when it starts to feel like you're breathing soup.

Probably the best thing to do is take a trip there mid-summer to see if it bothers you.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:55 PM

289 posts, read 1,138,805 times
I'm from San Diego living in Austin. It gets somewhat humid on some days in the summer. Sometimes it's dry, and the later in the afternoon it is and the hotter it is, the dryer it is. After a rain storm, it's very humid. It rains when it's hot here which is strange for a Californian. It doesn't cool off in the evenings as much. It can be 96 in the afternoon, 85 at 11pm and 75 at 5am and then start back up.

No matter what time of year it is, you can not guess what the weather will be like the next day for sure and you can not tell what the weather is like from looking outside - sometimes it's raining when you wake up in November and it could be 40 degrees or 80. No way of knowing. It could be sunny in January and be 40 or 80. Somewhat unsettling the first year, but I like it now. Tonight it's 46 with light rain. High tomorrow 59 and rainy. High Friday is 71, but then Saturday 49.

We've had thunderstorm watches and a couple of warnings, but it's rare for the thunderstorm to hit you in just the right way at just the right time for there to be a tornado in it. Austin hasn't had that many tornados, and very few bad ones. Could happen though. Better a tornado that I have insurance for than an earthquake with California's earthquake insurance!

Oh, and here they have weather radios (I bet they have them in California, there's just no reason to have one). You can set it so that it will sound a siren just like a smoke alarm if there's a tornado watch in the middle of the night. I bought it in May when the storms are fiercest but it hasn't had to go off yet.

I live Austin weather wise. Especially since the Hill Country is gorgeous. Houston is too humid. Dallas gets more tornadoes and gets cold. Other than that I don't know much.

Last edited by tashina; 01-03-2007 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: thought of more stuff

Old 01-03-2007, 08:45 PM

Thanks for the info. I think I will look some more at Idaho.

Izzy

Old 01-03-2007, 09:10 PM

437 posts, read 2,238,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I don't like the cold either. That is why I think I won't mind the heat in Texas. I don't know about the air getting thick tho. That might kill me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas