Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 05:07 PM

30 posts, read 51,227 times

Advertisements

I saw where Amarillo is one of the windiest cities in the USA. I've been through there a couple times and didn't really notice it. Maybe it's just certain times of the year? What do y'all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 05:10 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
I think it would be very noticeable especially during winter

Old 12-28-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I think it would be very noticeable especially during winter

Yeah, I live in an area now where the daily average wind speed is around 9 mph, I saw it's 13.5 mph in Amarillo. Which isn't a huge jump I guess, never thought much about it until I saw a blog complaining about the wind in Amarillo.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:40 PM

56 posts, read 80,104 times
It is no more windy than where I used to live in the Midwest. Honestly, when I moved down here everyone went on and on about the wind. Eh, sometimes there is, sometimes there isn't.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandle8 View Post
It is no more windy than where I used to live in the Midwest. Honestly, when I moved down here everyone went on and on about the wind. Eh, sometimes there is, sometimes there isn't.

Yeah it didn't seem windier than other places I've lots of time in. My guess is the average daily wind mph takes into account the storms that go through the panhandle, which obviously happen and can be severe but not ordinary occurrences.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:15 PM

954 posts, read 1,549,191 times
Like hurricanes in Houston and wedge tornadoes in North Texas you can expect occurrences of it in your weather.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:35 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,428,248 times
I grew up west of Amarillo. We used to say that if the wind didn't blow, we needed to head for holes in the ground, because a tornado was coming...

It's the High Plains, where wind blows. Some days it blows stronger than others, but there's almost always a breeze. Makes it feel colder in the winter, but cooler in the summer. It's also a mild climate, compared to farther north.

On the occasions that the wind is dangerous, appropriate wind warnings go out. Anyone who lives on the plains or prairies is used to it and deals with it accordingly.

It's presently the dead of winter, and I'm tooling around Amarillo in a short sleeve shirt with a windbreaker. Next week will be a windbreaker parka. Who knows what's the week after? It's really no big deal.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
I grew up west of Amarillo. We used to say that if the wind didn't blow, we needed to head for holes in the ground, because a tornado was coming...

It's the High Plains, where wind blows. Some days it blows stronger than others, but there's almost always a breeze. Makes it feel colder in the winter, but cooler in the summer. It's also a mild climate, compared to farther north.

On the occasions that the wind is dangerous, appropriate wind warnings go out. Anyone who lives on the plains or prairies is used to it and deals with it accordingly.

It's presently the dead of winter, and I'm tooling around Amarillo in a short sleeve shirt with a windbreaker. Next week will be a windbreaker parka. Who knows what's the week after? It's really no big deal.
I don't mind the variances in temperatures. People make it out like the wind never stops, i never really noticed it the couple times i've been there. Perhaps i got lucky. I don't mind wind too much, i just don't want to move to a place where it constantly feels like a stiff breeze, a little wind is ok. I like to get out and ride my motorcycle and riding in stiff wind is not fun, that's really my main concern. Occasionally i like to play a little golf too, not much fun when the wind never stops if you golf.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:21 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,428,248 times
ddmm11, the wind only occasionally becomes a motorcycling hazard. There's a very large motorcycling community in and around Amarillo.

As for pasture pool (golf), there are a number of golf courses around here, all busy all the time. Wind doesn't appear to hinder the golfers.

Dead still air is not the norm here, but high winds aren't, either. A little breeze is the norm, not a stiff one (stiff meaning hold onto your hat).

Old 12-31-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
ddmm11, the wind only occasionally becomes a motorcycling hazard. There's a very large motorcycling community in and around Amarillo.

As for pasture pool (golf), there are a number of golf courses around here, all busy all the time. Wind doesn't appear to hinder the golfers.

Dead still air is not the norm here, but high winds aren't, either. A little breeze is the norm, not a stiff one (stiff meaning hold onto your hat).
Thank you Arkay66, that's what I figured. I saw lots of bikes out on the road near Amarillo the few times i passed through there. I don't mind a little breeze at all. Stiff one is fine too from time to time. Amarillo is a very nice place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas