Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 07:04 PM

716 posts, read 539,129 times

Advertisements

and guess what else is there- small town politics that puts taxpayers first - its not a sanctuary city - its highly religious with strong moral values and attitudes - i hope it never becomes an Austin or Houston with there left wing liberal ways -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 11:46 AM

745 posts, read 1,283,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Am I the only one here who thinks Waco is a straight up dump? One of the ugliest towns I've ever been to. My wife was one of the "Fixer Upper" Waco lovers until she actually saw the place first hand. Now she doesn't even want to go back.

The best thing I can say about Waco is that it makes DFW actually look somewhat scenic in comparison.
We are visiting TX in March, including Waco. My wife cannot get it out of her head that Waco is the best place because of her binge watching that show (and despite the fact the couple from that show are considering moving away from Waco). She even insists it has much better weather than DFW, but I showed her annual charts side-by-side which didn't sway her much, although I think her main point was fewer tornadoes.

If I'm smart we'll visit Waco first so her eyes can be opened to everywhere else we visit.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:29 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,440,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
We are visiting TX in March, including Waco. My wife cannot get it out of her head that Waco is the best place because of her binge watching that show (and despite the fact the couple from that show are considering moving away from Waco). She even insists it has much better weather than DFW, but I showed her annual charts side-by-side which didn't sway her much, although I think her main point was fewer tornadoes.

If I'm smart we'll visit Waco first so her eyes can be opened to everywhere else we visit.
She'll likely be as dissapointed as my wife was.......by Waco, that is.

And btw, the worst tornado in Texas history happened in....you guessed it - Waco. An F5 on May 11, 1953 with 114 fatalities.

Old 02-25-2017, 05:03 PM

waco itself is for shopping- entertainment eating - there are some many great places to live 10 -15 min outside

do some homework - i would suggest you contact a relator to show you around for a day or two - look towards the west and south depends on what your looking for - we found it all about the people that attracted us - there are several very nice neighborhoods depending on your budget- from childress creek - woodfield - china creek etc

Old 02-26-2017, 10:46 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,723,606 times
Folks. You have to compare Waco to other comparable size cities in TX. By that standard it is a fairly decent city to live in. Compare Waco to Wichita Falls or Beaumont or Lubbock or Odessa or Longview and it will look pretty decent.

But if you try to fit Waco into some ideal standard of a small city and expect it to be a polished small urban mecca like say Boulder or Santa Fe or Fort Collins or Asheville or Santa Barbara or Boise then you will be sorely disappointed. Parts of it, especially north of the river, are very rough and run down.

That said, no city is static. They are either moving forwards or sliding backwards. And by that measure Waco does seem to be making a lot of progress in recent years to make the place a more appealing metro area. And if even half the future plans for the downtown are come to fruition it will be a still nicer place in the future. There is definitely a critical mass of Waconians with the money and vision to improve the place and I expect they will succeed. More and more Baylor grads are staying in Waco to make their start and more people are moving in from the outside.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:04 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post

Yes, take her straight to Waco - and then take her to the Tyler area, Fort Worth and the smaller towns just west of Fort Worth, and the Hill Country. My bet is that she gets off that Waco kick pretty quickly.

Don't get me wrong - Waco actually has a pretty cute little downtown area and a decent river front and then there's Baylor (full of unsavory drama at the current time). But honestly, the town in it's totality - not impressive.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:00 PM

depends if you want traffic - big city issues or small town america - having only 2 lights between me an homer depot 11 lies away is a dream come true -

so see austin at 4 in the afternoon - or friday nite when the close down the streets for that circus - yep go to Dallas and drive the loop at 8 in the am -

its all about what your looking for -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas